We've given in...

Clair

... and lit a fire in the woodburner.

My neighbour told me her son had had to scrape the car windscreen at the weekend. The night temperature has gone down to 5°C (40° in old money). The northerly wind blew non-stop last week up to Tuesday and the thick stone walls have no more heat to retain. It's been drizzling on and off all day and and the chill added the the damp air outside got the better of us [:(].

The house is now nice and cosy, the ambers are a-glowing, the cats are a-purring (they would if they were in! [:D]) and I wish I had baked a cake to go with my cup of Earl Grey!

What a day:  cloudy, gloomy, rainy, thunder, lightening and the poor dog is scared stiff.

Haven't lit the fire in the sitting-room and can't get the bois-charbon oven to heat up.  Have had several go's.  Meanwhile, put a chicken in there this morning!  Arg.................instead of cooked chicken, I'll have nicely warmed up salmonella by dinner-time!

Question for Clair.  Clair, where did you get the kettle in the picture? 

I ask because it would be such a good idea to have a big old-fashioned kettle on top of the bois-charbon oven sort of on the go all day.  Then I'll have loads of hot water for cleaning and washing up.  But, I would imagine that trying to get a kettle like that in France is no easy matter?

Sorry to hear you're a bit chilly.  I'm in Kent this week and it's been brilliant.  Wall to wall sunshine 18 C; although the days are getting noticably shorter and the house martins are gathering on the telephone wires.

Regards Dave

Thank god for that, I thought it was me being a whimp. We have not actually lit the fire but we have had one of the parafin heaters on in the lounge every morning this week. The people two doors down have had smoke coming out of their chimney for about the last 5 days. All this because it's down to 15 deg C at night.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Clair, where did you get the kettle in the picture?

I ask because it would be such a good idea to have a big old-fashioned kettle on top of the bois-charbon oven sort of on the go all day.  Then I'll have loads of hot water for cleaning and washing up.  But, I would imagine that trying to get a kettle like that in France is no easy matter?[/quote]

Sweet, sorry to disappoint, but this is not a picture of the woodburner in my house...[:(]

I wish my house was that tidy![:D], but where would all the spiders go? [Www]

You can get similar kettles on line:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/

http://www.twenga.fr/dir-Maison,Batteries-de-cuisine,Bouilloire/Matiere-Cuivre-1-28539

http://www.google.fr

PS: It's a picture of the same woodburner we have in the house, but in tidier surroundings!

quillan, i thought you were near us in 66.

we are the biggest wimps out but haven't thought of lighting the woodburning stove.

am sitting here in a t shirt at the moment. (18.36)

mind you we have made some autumnal changes.

we have started closing the garden doors in the evenings, and putting on long trousers.

We even got the rug out of the loft for mr polremy's feet cos he hasnt any slippers and the tiles are a bit cold.

we also put a duvet on the bed (only had a sheet before now).

we were in england briefly last week and FROZE (we also got very wet!) - people there seem to be scared to switch on the central heating.

[quote user="sweet 17"]... it would be such a good idea to have a big old-fashioned kettle on top of the bois-charbon oven sort of on the go all day.  Then I'll have loads of hot water for cleaning and washing up.  But, I would imagine that trying to get a kettle like that in France is no easy matter?[/quote]

I should also add that ever since we had the woodburner installed, Mr Clair has been on and on every winter about getting one of these

, but I have (so far) managed to convince him that €50 is a lot of money for a kettle!

Am I being tight?

It was 3° here in Maine et Loire a couple of nights ago. I haven't stopped looking at the woodburner, thinking how nice it would look lit. Mr Callie wore bedsox the other night, and I did last night..... I'm thinking of getting a nice pair of fleecy lined pyjamas. But maybe winceyette would do - nice and warm to put on.

But then if I get the bowsaw out and cut a few logs, I'll warm up and won't need to light the fire......

There are a lot of chestnut trees around and a couple of years ago, Mr Clair collected a very large basketful of chestnuts, carefully stored them in a net in the cellar, only to find the mice had beaten him to them when he went to collect them for roasting! His face!!![:-))][:-))]

I have been working outside all this year and today was like the first day of spring, come to think of it, it was!

I think summer may be a little late this year [:D]

Normally I burn very easily being of northern descent but working outside I only have to wear protection for the first week or so of summer before I build up a resistance, about 2 weekends ago I was helping some friends and was sunburnt for the first time this year!

[quote user="Clair"]... and lit a fire in the woodburner.

[/quote]

Crikey, now I know why we live in Brittany as I haven't long been back from a swim and a sunbathe at the beach ...

I kid you not and I would show you a photo of me in my swimsuit but ... I've gained a few pounds and ... [:-))]

Sue [:)]