Shed/garage - 20 sq metres - how measured ?

chessie

I'm a bit puzzled by regulations concerning what can be built in a domestic garden without permission - and what does need permision.

We desperately need a very big shed/garage for extra storage.  Some of the very large garden sheds from Leroy Merlin/similar places would seem to fit the bill but - here's where I'm confused.

It's possible to put up a shed/garage type building under 20 sq metres without toddling off to complete forms etc.

But - is it the external measurements that have to be under 20 sq metres - or can it be the internal - floor space -  measurements ?  Some of the very large sheds we've been looking at have a considerable roof over-hang along the front, sides and back - and this overhang can cause quite a discrepancy between the external 'size' of shed, and the actual usable floor space area....

So which is it - anybody got a definitive answer - because I can't see in the explanations in various French ex-pat newspapers any great detailed explanations of what it is that is measured ? 

Any help and advice gratefully received.

Chessie

This my understanding, as explained by our builder whern we put up our shed - albeit some years ago.  It is the floor area that is counted and what is more it is only free of paperwork if under 2 sq.m. Between 2 and 20 you need to complete the declaration prealable and above 20 it requires full permis de construire. Information  at the link will give you a start.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F17578.xhtml?&n=Logement&l=N15&n=Construction&l=N319&n=Contrat%20de%20construction%20:%20formalit%C3%A9s&l=N320&n=D%C3%A9claration%20pr%C3%A9alable&l=N311

My reading it that it is the exterior dimensions measured from the outside of the walls, excluding overhang  and gutters. Recently translated the Declaration Prealable and it is actually longer that the full Permis de Construire. Once completed the PdC and attachments will be bigger.