Alchohol

I've rarely been in a drunken coma Chris - I was drinking at the most half a bottle of wine on a week night, but it did affect my sleep pattern.  I'd feel groggy in the morning and like someone earlier posted 'like as if my breaks were on all day'!

I have a personal coach and have been doing 2- 3 hours a week of cardio/pilates training for nearly 3 years.  I make myself do it even when I'm feeling like s*** and the last year has been really hard - but I do it!  I also play 2 hours of badminton every week but I know now that it'll be easier and I'll be able to push myself even harder now that I have the energy[:)]

My job is very physical too so I need to be on top form to perform for 4 hours - I need to keep going 'til 4 or 5 am and then be awake at 8am to sort out my daughter for school.  Yes -  sleep is important and wonderful when I can get some[:)]

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is "so so" Twinks.  This is week 4.  Successes, have not drunk at any lunch time,  earliest drink of the day is 5 to 6 pm, no spirits at all.

Near successes (do not countenance failures) still about 18 units a week, still a drink every single day.

Yes, the physical bit helps.  If I feel really like a drink, I go outside and do something physically hard, like shifting logs.  Now I have two huge piles of logs, neatly arranged in stacks and there is always a little pile spread out by the front door so that the OH can bring them in for the fires when he lights them.  I also cut down 6 trees last week; they weren't proper trees, but masses of branches that have sprouted from old cut-down tree trunks. Cleared a fence completely of brambles and other climbing weeds.  At this rate, I am thinking of hiring out my services as a garden labourer. 

Not missing the alcohol hit as much as I was last week.  Still waiting for the magic hour to pour that nice big glass of Chardonnay.  But, hey, one step at a time, don't try running before you can walk, Rome wasn't built in a day, etc, etc.

Total consumption more than halved and this is another week to cut down a bit more and perhaps after this week, I can think about not avoiding all social contact of any sort in case I weaken!  I'm running out of excuses as to why I'm avoiding going out to and with friends!

I don't think I can do an abrupt stop like you and Ann have but I am determined not to backslide.

That feeling at 5-6pm that you could do with a drink - for me dating back to when I came in exhausted from work to face the onslaught of a tired husband and 4 hungry teenagers -  is mainly due to a drop in blood sugar. Alcohol gives a sudden boost of energy, but so does something sweet like a marsbar. Together with a cup of strong coffee. That's what I have nowadays. No good if you tend to overweight though.

You're right about the blood sugar thing.  I have noticed that I ALWAYS feel like a drink when I am hungry.  Therefore, I find myself having glugs as I cook dinner  In the last 3 weeks, have mostly had sparkling water instead.  But HAVE found that I am eating chocolate and drinking fruit juice (these are not things I ever used to have when I was drinking normally)

Don't care even if I do get overweight for now.  Got to tackle one thing at a time; can always do the diet later (ah, famous last words!)

Also, loved the feeling of not much caring how the meal turned out because EVERYTHING did taste much nicer with the glass or two of wine!

I felt the sugar thing to for the first few days - and the headaches!!!!!!!  Wow - that's hard.  Feeling much better now though.  Just back from a training session -  I normally crash out for an hour on the bed but I feel quite awake today.  I'm going to to a 'diluted' version of my fitness programme at home every day now that I have all this extra energy[:)]

I'm working on Thursday and it's Beaujolais night at the venue so that'll be interesting.  I don't like the stuff though so I reckon it won't be a problem.

Well done sweet 17 - your place must be looking lovely and tidy!!! 

I think you're even braver than me 'cos' you're able to have a drink and not be tempted to overdo it.  It's all of nothing with me at the moment otherwise I think I'd cave in and go back to my old ways of having to have a few glasses every night.  My goal is to just drink at the weekend socially. 

Good luck and keep us posted[;-)]

Hope Chris is okay - he's been a bit quiet lately.

Dear Twinkle, thanks for the support.  One tiny pineau and one glass of chardonnay tonight and that's my lot.  Just need to keep SO busy all the time.  Still chopping down bushes and shifting logs, etc.  Yes, you're right, my house is looking great, all the floors are swept and the mats shaken outside everyday.

One good thing is I don't look at the clock at 12 midday and think, blimey 6 hours to a drink, zut!  No, I look at the clock about 4 o'clock and think, goody, only 2 hours to a drink.  So, that's improvement, non?

Chris, Meg, Ann, please post so we can keep up the good work!

Radio 4 BBC item this morning ..........13.. treated in hospital for alchohol related problems.... poisoning etc ....EVERY DAY...... children !!!..... now thats frightening for a statistic ....and they said  if it was due to heroin there is a system in place to give support to the kids....but ...not alchohol .

I've p.m.ed him too a couple of days ago and no answers. I think he is lying low for a while to get the renovations on his new place going which is more important than us that he has a roof over his head. We just have to be patient and give him some space...  [:)]

Ha, my first real victory tonight.  French neighbour came by bringing his daughter from Paris and her partner.  I'd already had my "allowance" when they came and I couldn't plan for the visit as I didn't know they were coming.

Well, I managed to make a half glass of wine last the hour and a half or so of the visit.  It was getting on for dinner time, and I was hungry (usually the worst time for me to pass up on the alcohol).  BUT tonight, I did NOT succumb.

Result only 2 units today and one happy and relieved bunny.

Have not gone out socially and not had anyone to stay but running out of excuses and, anyway, I can't become a total recluse.  So now, feeling much encouraged and have invited some friends over to stay next week.

I have managed to stay within the 2 glasses maximum all this week and by Friday, I hope I will have cut down by a couple of units from last week.

Trouble with me is, I just LOVE the taste of alcohol and I feel so happy and content when I have a glass in my hand.  Then, when I am cooking, that's when I really enjoy myself, producing good food and having a favourite drink at the same time.

Shall have to change totally the place alcohol has in my life and I have not been able to work that one out yet. 

That's what I often do Jen, a spritzer, or weak shandy, or tonic water with just a tiny splash of gin.  Like S17, I love a glass of something when I'm preparing a meal.  It doesn't solve the alcohol habit, but it does reduce the intake.

Its funny sweet 17, I associate with producing lovely meals whilst enjoying a nice glass of wine, I think a nice glass of wine tastes better when you are cooking and I get so much pleasure out of cooking and feeding people.I often wonder if it was years of watching Keith Floyd, he was one of my favourite cooks years ago as he always loved Provence and cooked mainly in the wonderful french style.He always had a glass in his hand and his love of his craft just spilled out.Even now when I get given the odd pheasant or some game of some sort by our local hunter, I plan the cooking and really look forward to the nice glass of wine whilst I am cooking, as you say how do you break that habbit, I have not a clue and am not sure I want to, it is one of lifes real pleasures.

Funny how when you drink a lot, and you find a fellow p*ss head you make a good joke and chat about it, you have something in common.....justifying it together? My mum loves  Keith Floyd.....i remember it since i was young. She drinks a lot, and likes to cook. (she does the occasional impression of him![:$]) I guess it 's the same kind of thing. Someone else is doing it...so its ok? I'll tell her that news geordie girl.

Cat your post reminded me, i'd have taken the pee out of anyone drinking spritzers or shandy a few weeks back.

A strange thing about my learning French is that I can usually remember who I learned a certain phrase from, or perhaps when it first sunk in.

Keith was responsible for my first tentative use of the imparfait when during a show and he was chatting in French I heard him say c'etait several times and it dawned on me what it meant, it was the only word that I used for a long time but people often said "oh but you speak the imparfait as well" grace à Keith. I hope that they reshow his programmes as a tribute.

Esther Rantsen "learned" me how to say "je m'en fou"!

Poor old Keith...he was always great fun to watch, so was George Best....

Been in Paris, not exactly the Pyrenees but still managed to cover 40 odd k's around the place on foot, boy there are some seriously posh bars there...the person I was with doesn't drink and we went & found coffee instead, and all the people seemed to be outdoing each other in the fashion stakes. Bit of a shame really but I reckon both Keith & George would approve.

New ambition is to abseil the Eiffel Tower....so if anyone has any contacts? [6] I mean...it's not like they're gonna chase you back up or anything is it?