Can we charge for pylon on our land?

Beryl

Hi

We own a property in France that has a pylon on it which supplies electricty to our property and to a number of houses behind us. I have no problem with the pylon being on our land just wondered if we were entitled to peppercorn rent from EDF as I know BT pay for this kind of thing in the UK and anything that could help offset our electricity bills would be most welcome. Kind thoughts please.

• 1 month later...
I think the only real answer to both problems is to consult your local EDF office themselves who may conduct  a visit to see whether it is possible to go underground and what if any, rental they may be likely to pay out. No one on this forum is qualified to answer this but EDF themselves in your particular circumstances. If you have a problem with french to convey your problem, why not ask at the mairie to arrange this for you, they are there for you and your problems.

EDF do recognise that there are health problems with high voltage above ground cables and are in the process of puting them all underground (thats whee your high bills income is being spent). Low voltage i.e. 220/240 vac cables are deemed as safe. The rule on four legged pylons is correct for rent but you can't get anything for the wood or concreate oples on your land, I tried a few years back. Yes they will bury them but we were told there is a fee unless you are in a defined natural park or an area of world importance (sorry forgot the phrase) like our gorge which is having all the pylons removed be them high or low voltage (the fefined area stops 50M from us so we lost out there as well)..