Les Marseillaise

I heard today that to whistle the Marseillaise is punishable by a fine of €7,500 and up to six month’s imprisonment. Is this true? If so, I would owe quite a lot of money as it is a very catchy tune. Definitely the best anthem in the world imo. Seems a bit harsh, but perhaps it comes from a very old law and has never been updated. Or of course, it could be a load of codswallop.

I heard it in relation to this crazy idea of abandoning French football matches by the politicians if the French national anthem is jeered at the beginning of a match. Of course jeering any national anthem is offensive and is disrespectful etc, but can you imagine the outcome if a match was abandoned before it kicked off? There would be riots.

It would also mean France would automatically forfeit the match 3-0. Can just imagine it, France 0, Soloman Islands 3!

R.

Wooly

That's already happened,  but in fiction of course -  in Animal farm by Geoge Orwell.   This Napoleon was not a very kind pig, and was quite cruel and despotic.

Come to think of it, Napoleon Bonaparte was not such a good and kind ruler either. The Spanish and the Portuguese and other assorted countries do not remember him with fondness.

I would be interested to hear from Frenchie, or anyone schooled in France what they learned about him.

Regards

Tegwini

Interesting.

We asked our friends a year or two back what they thought of Napoleon. They see him as some kind of hero, which I guess makes sense. Of course, in Britain, I (and I assume most others) were taught he was a bad man who needed stopping from expanding his empire, so it was interesting to hear opinions from the other side of the story. I dare say the French were taught about bad old Queen Victoria and her orders to expand the British Empire all around the world.

Just goes to show how little facts are in history, but much is based on opinion and differing points of view. Think there was an old saying, history was written by the victors. Doesn't necessarily make it accurate.

But I would be keen to hear other French peoples attitudes towards Napoleon.

R.

Me too Richard, still curious to hear French opinions.

The French can't point any fingers regarding colonialism - they were very much part of the 'Scramble for Africa' & elsewhere,  well after Napoleon during the reign of Q. Victoria (1837-1901).   Napoleon died 1821. 

But, a decade or so of war under Napoleon didn't help France's economy, and ordinary people suffered, and the throne was even re-instated by Napoleon.

I suppose all nations seem to need heros & other opposing nations will usually not hero-worship them.    I well remember taking a party of 40 French students to HMS Victory and on hearing where and how Nelson died they cheered.   The Royal Navy rating showing us around was quite disgusted and threatened to have them removed from the ship.

These days historians  usually attempt to avoid bias, and students are taught to think for themselves.   I doubt that this happens much, but them I am a cynic.

But,  La Marseillaise is a far superior tune IMO,  to the UK anthem, which  has words that are anachronistic.  The Marseillaise has words, especially after the first verse which are quite blood thirsty. 

Regards

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

But,  La Marseillaise is a far superior tune IMO,  to the UK anthem, which  has words that are anachronistic.  The Marseillaise has words, especially after the first verse which are quite blood thirsty. 

Regards

Tegwini

[/quote]

It's a truly awesome tune and has always left given me tingles, especially when you hear it sung at a stadium. The end of Escape to Victory when the crowd sings it before the penalty is taken against the allied team gets me every time. But I was really surprised when I saw a translation of the words to the French anthem, very blood thirsty. Best anthem in the world.

Absolutely agree about the tune, it really stirs the blood, although we probably aren't supposed to say that now.

British National Anthem is a complete dirge and inspires nothing, just fawning to an unelected head of state.  As for bloodthirsty, just have a look at the now no-longer-sung 4th verse of the British NA. Hardly PC these days.

I think the Spanish have got it right with the words to their National Anthem

[quote user="Valleyboy"]I'm sorry, but I thought everybody knew that the best National Anthem in the world is..................."Land of my fathers" (especially when sung by Katherine Jenkins at the Millennium Stadium!!).
[/quote]

Yes, I love the Welsh national anthem but not when Katherine Jenkins is singing it.  I hope you are saying that with tongue in cheek.

Certainly no one who understands good singing will call KJ a singer.  But, I grant you, she has the looks all right!

[quote user="Cendrillon"]"Best anthem in the world."

... many of the French don't even know the words of the first verse let alone the other verses. [/quote] It is hardly ever sung beyond the first verse, but like many school children in France, I had to learn all of it by heart. Some things you never forget: "La Marseillaise fut composée par Rouget de Lisle pour l'armée du Rhin en 1792..."

I prefer Le Chant des Partisans. Much more uplifting...

"British National Anthem is a complete dirge and inspires nothing, just fawning to an unelected head of state".  Pierre ZPF

I completely agree with you here Pierre.   Many would say that eg Sarkosy is not perfect, but at least he can get the boot if the electorate so decides.

Here in the UK we are stuck with a rather thick family, and the future monarch is considered by many of us to be total waste of space.  And, no chance of giving him the boot.

Another reason to live in a republic

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]

"British National Anthem is a complete dirge and inspires nothing, just fawning to an unelected head of state".  Pierre ZPF

I completely agree with you here Pierre.   Many would say that eg Sarkosy is not perfect, but at least he can get the boot if the electorate so decides.

Here in the UK we are stuck with a rather thick family, and the future monarch is considered by many of us to be total waste of space.  And, no chance of giving him the boot.

Tegwini

[/quote]

My goodness, Tegs, my sentiments entirely!  You're a brave person to voice all this because the royal family is such a holy cow in the UK that, until recent years, nobody would even think to question its existence.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="tegwini"]

Tegwini

[/quote]

My goodness, Tegs, my sentiments entirely!  You're a brave person to voice all this because the royal family is such a holy cow in the UK that, until recent years, nobody would even think to question its existence.

[/quote]

Well said you two, our sentiments here exactly.  One of the main reasons that we moved here was because we wanted to live in a Republic, for all the reasons that you mention but also because we're fed up with successive UK governments just not even considering the position of the Royal Family and realistically dealing with the iniquities of the House of Lords.

Watched the Remembrance ceremony yesterday on UK Tele and watched the Royals wearing uniforms of the various services which they only wear because of an accident of birth, with the exception of those who actually served/are serving.  Prince Edward all done up as the Colonel-in-Chief of a regiment - remember him, he's the one that blew out being a soldier/marine?

I wish them Royal Family no harm but whilst the UK insists on having the fawning members of the Court and people reporting on the Royals like Nicholas Witchell (obsequeous little creep, reminds me of Uriah Heep) the UK will never change.

I belong to a Society in  the UK and when it meets it has a loyal toast and says prayers/grace.  I decline to do either because of my beliefs (Republican and atheist) and whilst it causes some comment, people just think it's another of my 'odd' ways - suits me fine.

The family as a whole are rich enough to live off their own means as the rest of us have to, time to make them wholly and totally neutral - none of the Royal this and Royal that, the Queen's this or the Queen's that, people still be described and regarding themselves as SUBJECTS of the Queen - and make the UK a Republic. 

Hello Tony

Glad to note your, and my "odd ways" !

Lots here in the UK do echo these views, especially regarding Charles. 

I too had a laugh to see them done up like christmas trees when they have neither served, and certainly never suffered as a result of the various wars remembered yesterday.  Sadly, I can't see much change in the near future, as somehow politicians, once in a position of power become creeps too.  Perhaps the fancy titles and and silly gear appeals ?   - or is it a way of getting one's snout into the trough?

For years now I have believed that the 'system' not only creates division, but also holds Britain's economy back.  Some would say how great things are - in the top 10 etc ...  But, this crisis will sort out the men from the boys and  it has not hit republican Germany & France  and others as hard as Britain.

Tegwini