beansprouts

You can sprout your own... jam jar,  piece of netting/muslin, rubber band, dried beans (adzuki, soya, mung...) Soak beans for an hour, drain them (that's what the net is for), put them somewhere dark. Rince once or twice a day & after about five days you have beansprouts. Don't leave them too long or they grow leaves & don't taste very nice. [+o(]

For the beans, markets or a health food shop (they'll order anything you want from their catalogues, in my experience.)

I should think so. I've tried quite a few, For me, big beans didn't work very well (kidney, chick peas, black-eyed beans...) too much shell and not enough sprout. The smaller beans were better, the ones I listed above and there are lots of others.

I think that mung beans are used to make the kind of sprouts we're used to seeing on the chiller counter, in the UK.

Very interesting list RH thanks for posting the link. Lots of possibilities for sprouting there. And once sprouted, seeds are veg, contributing to the 5-a-day.  

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that germination activates production of vitamins in seeds; that is why sprouts are more nutritious than the seeds that they come from. Super-food pumpkin seeds, once sprouted must be a super-super-food. Has this already happened?