House Histories

Simon

Hi everyone,

I want to do a little digging into the history of our house in the Dordogne, I have visited the Marie, but there was not much there, will I find more at the Prefecture, and if so does anyone have any tips?

Regards

Simon

Hi, we were told to find out from the deeds held the names of previous notaires mentioned on the house sale. Eg the previous sellers' notaire will be mentioned, so get in touch with them and they will have documentation up to that sale, which in turn will mean his documents will mention the notaire prior to that, and so on.

Hope that helps..

Thgere should also be a more or less complete Départemental archive somewhere or other. Main town probably; Niort for Deux Sèvres, La Roche for the Vendée though the collection is diminished because of the Civil War.

But beware, you might get a shock; my house had had a murder, and not that long ago. We found the skeleton and it wasnt in a cupboard.

There isn't the same wealth of archive material, or even the same level of interest, in such things in France compared with England.

Perhaps the best idea is to ask the neighbours. Ours, in his 40s, can tell us things he remembers about our house, not only from his childhood but also from 250 years ago, ours being there when his own house was built. [;-)]

As wooly says though, be prepared. There are a lot of less pleasant aspects of French rural life that could be uncovered.

My nephew here in France did some 'digging' on his house for a new (sunken) bathroom extension and found what turned out to be a mother and daughter buried under the floor, and sort of wedged under the wall - which meant it predated the house which itself was all of 500 years old.

When he informed the authorities about it they were not surprised... and said cover it up again - which he did.

Not sure that I'd like the idea soaking in the bath with that next to me!