Politics Show

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't querying the fact that he will get the state pension, rather the fact that he was apparently, from what it said in Quillan's post, expecting to get the heating allowance when he is clearly non-resident and under age.

Work until you drop?  Why would you want to? 

As with many here I retired early at age 55 ( I'm not police or civil service), I just planned it that way.  I planned it from age 17 and paid into my pension fund in order to do so. 

When I started work we had a collection for anyone who worked or used to work at our place that had died.  A wreath collection it was called.  After I had been there 6 months the names on the board for the wreaths started to contain names of people I knew and had worked with and for whom we had made a collection for retirement in the last few months sometimes just weeks.  Many of these blokes stopped work at 65 and just died within weeks of doing so.  From that date on I decided I would not be in the position of working until I was 65 just to amass a large pension and never to live to enjoy it. A friend of mine in Personnel told me that she had planned to do the same as she had read some research that said over 50% of the manual labour population were dying within one year of retiring at age 65.

I might still go at age 65, but at least the last 10 years will be doing what I want to do,  when I want to, in a country I love to be in and enjoying a stress free life.  Yes it would be nice to have more money, like many of those on fixed pensions my income is 30% down in the last year but remember those of you for whom money appears to be your King, you really cannot take it with you[blink].

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Work until you drop?  Why would you want to? 

As with many here I retired early at age 55 ( I'm not police or civil service), I just planned it that way.  I planned it from age 17 and paid into my pension fund in order to do so. 

When I started work we had a collection for anyone who worked or used to work at our place that had died.  A wreath collection it was called.  After I had been there 6 months the names on the board for the wreaths started to contain names of people I knew and had worked with and for whom we had made a collection for retirement in the last few months sometimes just weeks.  Many of these blokes stopped work at 65 and just died within weeks of doing so.  From that date on I decided I would not be in the position of working until I was 65 just to amass a large pension and never to live to enjoy it. A friend of mine in Personnel told me that she hasd pplanned to do the same as she had read some research that said over 50% of the manual labour population were dying within one year of retiring at age 65.

I might still go at age 65, but at least the last 10 years will be doing what I want to do,  when I want to, in a country I love to be in and enjoying a stress free life.  Yes it would be nice to have more money, like many of those on fixed pensions my income is 30% down in the last year but remember those of you for whom money appears to be your King, you really cannot take it with you[blink].

[/quote]

Nice post Ron, relevant and to the point.

I have a vivid memory of seeing a man in a mortuary in 1969. He had died on the bus on his way home from work and had retired, that very day.

I've never forgotten that.

[quote user="woolybanana"]If some people wish to have index linked pensions at the expense of the taxpayer then they have to work many years longer for their occupational pension and the concept of lump sums being handed out of the public pot has to go too.[/quote]

I think you will find they went about three or four years ago. The problem is that the emergency services (I mean any of those you dial 999 for) all get poor pay but in the past the incentive was the pension. Now thats gone and with bureaucracy running wild in these jobs people just don't want to do them anymore.

Ron wrote

"Why ever not? If he has paid 30 years NI he will get a normal OAP. "

I can only be sure about teachers Ron, but you're wrong. Teachers don't pay the full pension element of the National Insurance contribution and so receive a reduced old age pension.

Hoddy

I don't know much about other  'emergency services' but an old school friend's husband was the deputy fire chief at Manchester Airport  until retirement at age 50.

His retirement 'on the sick' was planned, supposedly 'back problems' and his 'golden goodbye' paid for a boat, and they retired to a Scottish island where they bought a second home.  Naturally the airport's fire service  have  many dozens of applications for each vacancy- when they have a vacancy.

The 'working class' are expected to work to 65- or older, and fund the pensions of civil servants.

tegwini

[quote user="Russethouse"]Boy, Am I glad my father told me that it was never worth waking up and dreading going to work, and to find a job I liked - he worked until he was 76, it was his choice, he didn't need the money, he just had a job he enjoyed ( nothing out of the ordinary either)[/quote]

Well said, RH.  Same with my OH.  He hasn't needed to work for at least 10 years.  But, he's been self-employed for over 50 years and he loves what he does.

In fact, to my chagrin, he often works without asking for fees!

I think he's nuts mind but there's no telling him.

[quote user="Hoddy"]Ron wrote "Why ever not? If he has paid 30 years NI he will get a normal OAP. " I can only be sure about teachers Ron, but you're wrong. Teachers don't pay the full pension element of the National Insurance contribution and so receive a reduced old age pension. Hoddy[/quote]

Hoddy  Please, why do you keep talking about teachers?[8-)]   They are neither policeman nor Civil Servants are they?  Registered parrot keepers probably don't get a full pension either but that has nothing to do with anyone featured on the Politics Show who were moaning about not getting £150 for their fuel bills, people who in the main as Will rightly points out would not get it if they lived in the UK still anyway. 

[quote user="tegwini"]

I don't know much about other  'emergency services' but an old school friend's husband was the deputy fire chief at Manchester Airport  until retirement at age 50.

His retirement 'on the sick' was planned, supposedly 'back problems' and his 'golden goodbye' paid for a boat, and they retired to a Scottish island where they bought a second home.  Naturally the airport's fire service  have  many dozens of applications for each vacancy- when they have a vacancy.

The 'working class' are expected to work to 65- or older, and fund the pensions of civil servants.

tegwini

[/quote]

Well the normal retirement age is 50 but you can carry on till 55 after which you have to retire if you are an active firefighter. You can delay your pension to 65 if you wish just like you don't have to take your lump sum just like other, normal, company pension schemes. The more you leave in the pot the more monthly income you get when you do draw your pension.

Personally I don't care what they pay the fire, police and ambulance services, whatever it takes to give me the piece of mind (when I am in the UK of course) that when I need them they will be there for me and my family. Tell you what lets not pay them the pension but in return we will go a scrape the jumpers of the railway tracks, spoon whats left of dead children and babies out of smashed cars etc. If you don't want to have to do these things then you have to look after those that are willing to do it for you.

I think teachers should be paid more as well (thought I would say that just to keep in with Hoddy), no seriously I installed SIMS in schools a few years back, you have to be mad to teach or very brave. I would end up in nick, I'd be giving the little swines a clip round the ear. If they are happy to do the job then good on them and lets pay them a decent wage and a good pension. Same with nurses as well, the list goes on.

So Tegwini you could have become a civil servant, joined the forces, be a policeman, ambulance driver, para medic, fireman, teacher, nurse etc and get a good pension, so why didn't you, you could be enjoying early retirement with a few bob in the bank.

Mind you I am all in favour of taking these pensions away from social workers and MP's at the moment. Thats two professions where they obviously don't earn or deserve their money, I think baby P proves that point but then we digress.

Anyway if your working class then I look down on you, but then I look up to others because I'm middle class [;-)]

[quote user="Hoddy"]Ron wrote "Why ever not? If he has paid 30 years NI he will get a normal OAP. " I can only be sure about teachers Ron, but you're wrong. Teachers don't pay the full pension element of the National Insurance contribution and so receive a reduced old age pension. Hoddy[/quote]

Sorry Hoddy, but this is not correct - I am a teacher.  I paid in to the teachers' pension fund.  I receive a full state pension.  I am still teaching - I find it does wonders for the old grey cells!  [:)]

Perhaps the rules have changed?

[quote user="Thibault"]

Sorry Hoddy, but this is not correct - I am a teacher.  I paid in to the teachers' pension fund.  I receive a full state pension.  I am still teaching - I find it does wonders for the old grey cells!  [:)]

Perhaps the rules have changed?

[/quote]

Perhaps Hoddy was a maths teacher ?........................[:D] only joking

Yes Quillan emgencency services can have messy, grim aspects to their jobs - but not often, thankfully, at Manchester airport.  The only plane crash in his time happened when he was off duty, they do  get lots of leave.  They keep themselves busy on duty watching TV, keeping fit, cooking, cleaning fire engines & the firestation - not bad really.

The problem I have with the system is that it is so easy to retire  early from his fireservice 'on the sick' and many do just that - and at 50, and the pension is good enough to live on even with such an early retirement.  This fireservice did strike, and this closed down the airport - perhaps more than once.

"So Tegwini you could have become a civil servant, joined the forces, be a policeman, ambulance driver, para medic, fireman, teacher, nurse etc and get a good pension, so why didn't you, you could be enjoying early retirement with a few bob in the bank" .Quillan

Quillan,  I did become a teacher (6 years self-funded/overseas university training in my case) but stayed out of the state system for years, (taught in indep.& foreign schools) and and stayed home as a mum too so don't have that much of a pension.  I am really retired, do only a small amount in a top school nearby as I too dislike the rude, stroppy kids - "little swines" (quote Quillan) in many schools.    I  enjoy that   as it keeps the brain going and the teens are mainly lovely.  Also enjoying retirement in Wilts.  Husband is younger than me and wants to work, he is a CA and surprisingly seems to enjoy his job and plans to work for a few more years. It makes sense to have 2 paid for houses. One is already paid for.  Our retirement plans will be to travel  not clean etc for others.  And,  the timing is not quite my decision really. 

The trouble is the UK cannot afford  so many  people 'on the sick' at present,  goodness know what the future will bring ...

Tegwini

[quote user="Coppi"]

Ron, I don't know what your on but I really think that nurse should check your medication.

Charles Hunt

[/quote]

Mr Hunt wrote earlier in one of his frequent visits to add sparkle and wit to the Forum and tell us of his busy life in Worcester (its in the Dordogne I think)  

"I do not look at this forum very often ........ I really have better things to do in my life than spend time reading about other peoples lives which I usually find pretty boring" .

Mr Hunt,  dear boy, can you be minded to continue this policy as I find your posts........... well, pointless really[kiss]. 

No, Hoddy, you are wrong. Teachers do pay full NI contributions. Their membership of an approved pension scheme means (or meant, in my day) that they were opted out of the State graduated pension scheme - which (I'm sure someone will put me right) was an attempt to make sure that people without access to a proper pension scheme could accumulate a pension in addition to the old age pension. Teachers - like everyone else - receive the OAP on the basis of their NI contribution record. Unless they were married women who chose not to pay for the full stamp.

Incidentally, teachers can only receive their "full" pension if they retire at 60. Of course, there is a provision for people to retire early due to ill health (like my wife - with cancer.) Teachers who retire prematurely can either opt to receive their pension when they become 60, or receive a pension which is considerably reduced to take into consideration additional actuarial costs.

Public service pensions are taxed in the UK because they are payed directly from Treasury funds. The Treasury will not release the money without ensuring that its portion is retained.

Will do Ronny old mate.

By the way the names wrong and I have never lived in Worcester although I do own properties in that fair county as well as others.

As for the number of postings, Ronny for every one of mine you have posted 141 times aren't we lucky.

End.

C