French News newspaper at an end! alleged-

Yes that is sad. I have been a subscriber since the early/mid eighties and was invited down to Monbazillac a couple of years ago for their 200th edition celebration dinner/dance evening. We had a great evening and met the Editor Miranda Neame and the team, as well as Sir John Holmes the British Ambassador. I also have a good friend here in Mayenne who writes a regular column for them. I must admit that I was surprised at the size of the team when I went to the dinner and wonder whether the high cost of social charges and employment costs was a factor in their downfall ?

We have an advert running in this paper and they are still taking money from our business account for it. We emailed the paper for clarification but 48 hours later still no reply so someone there is not playing the game it would seem. Our only option I suppose to to get down to the bank and prevent further payments to them.

Well here's a turn up and we feel a bit daft.

Because we used a Carte Bleu for payment to the French News we cannot cancel.... that's what our bank tells us anyway.

We were told as well that the only way to prevent money being taken from our business account is to cancel the card.

Arghhh.

[quote user="Bannon"]

Well here's a turn up and we feel a bit daft.

Because we used a Carte Bleu for payment to the French News we cannot cancel.... that's what our bank tells us anyway.

We were told as well that the only way to prevent money being taken from our business account is to cancel the card.

Arghhh.

[/quote]

Bannon, I fear that what they tell you is correct.

I worked for a major UK bank and I know for a cert that a debit card is as good as cash.  If you set up payments on it, there's nothing you personally can do to stop payments. 

As you've been told, the only way is to cancel the card.

I know of lots of instances when the account holders are completely in the hands of the people they pay and, as long as money is being requested, then the banks are obliged to keep paying them your cash![:@]

21 employees, as quoted in the article linked above, does sound rather excessive for a publication of this type, particularly given French employment costs. We publish (in Britain) some half dozen of our own monthly magazines and papers, plus several contract publishing jobs, and run several exhibitions and conferences, with just about twice that number of people.