Whatever you do, don't break the glass on your woodburner.

Bugsy

We had a similar problem a few days after installing a new woodburner.We went back to m.Bricolage,and they wanted  over €220 for replacement 3mm glass,bearing in mind the cutout is arch shaped at the top,so the glass has to be cut to shape (not rectangular).Our insurance guy suggested a mirror shop in Gueret (Creuse),and they cut 4mm glass for us for €55  .So if you can find a mirror shop,ask there.It may save you a packet.Pogo

Well we had a very strange experience with our stove as it literally cracked right across from side to side in front of my eyes during the summer three years ago when it had not been lit for at least four months.We were eating our lunch in front of it in the kitchen and heard a strange cracking noise. That cost well over €65 back then to have replaced.

It is not actually tempered glass but some sort of ceramic that allows more heat to get through I believe. Ours broke last year and the shop offered to give us details for the insurance but we declined as the cost would probably just be added onto the premium at the next renewal. Suspicious about French insurance companies? moi?

[quote user="Bugsy"]Mrs B had a bit of an accident today and broke the glass on the front of our woodburner.

Now I know its tempered glass but a replacement piece 32cm x 54cm cost...........86 euro....[:-))]

flabber me gasted................

[/quote]

But look on the bright side - that has solved the question of what to buy for birthdays, chanukkah, wedding anniversaries etc for this and many years to come.

When you take account of added costs of financing and  administration must be 10 years worth at least.

John

But I've already got her Chrissy present...............I've bought her some slippers

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/56114x805jpeg.jpg[/IMG]

She also wanted a floor polisher, so I've killed two birds with one stone....[:)]

edit: sorry about the 'orible feet, they do not belong to anyone here, its a borrowed photo.

Take the receipt to your insurance company.ours cost 240 euros. the amount was paid back into the bank in a couple of days. We didn't even know it was covered but the reception girl at the glass firm advised us that it is normally covered by your house insurance.

Regards

[quote user="Bugsy"]Mrs B had a bit of an accident today and broke the glass on the front of our woodburner.

Now I know its tempered glass but a replacement piece 32cm x 54cm cost...........86 euro....[:-))]

Flabber me gasted................
[/quote]

Todays lesson is everything you wanted and did not want to know about borosilicate glass. Not tempered or even bad tempered (love that Odile)

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-borosilicate-glass.htm

well I am bad tempered now - the fumiste phoned yesterday to say he couldn't fit our woodburner bebore Christmas as it is out of stock. We ordered it in October with him, but he didn't place the order until 2 weeks ago (grrr, we did offer to pay ahrres (deposit) -

I was so looking forward to it and got loads of wood prepared.