My heart goes out to these poor things

Some more cracking comments from the ex-pats.

"Whereas we could eat out twice a week now it is only once"

"We are not responsible for the situation we are in" - presumably they were kidnapped and taken to Spain against their will.

And my favorite "all of us we have worked all our lives in the UK and paid into the system, now we are not getting our fair share compared to those in cold England" presumably fair to the interviewee means not getting the same pension but a higher one. 

On the positive side they didnt winge about the winter heating allowance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And another one  

"We both took early retirement because of ill-health and live on our local government and civil service pensions, plus incapacity benefits - all of which are paid in pounds," says George.

When they bought their French home, each pound bought close to €1.50. "The prices in French shops have risen dramatically this year and the exchange rate hasn't helped," he adds. "Our incapacity benefit is paid straight into our French bank account. A few months ago we would get €440, but when I looked at our last statement, I noticed that it had fallen to €397 - and it looks set to get worse."

What an unlucky couple.

Spain! they can keep it...I spent time in the winter on the Costa del Sol before they covered the hillsides with urbanisations It might be 19 degrees in winter and have plenty of golf courses but even that would never get me to swap my Vendee sleepy hollow place with them....Costa del Concrete it looks now ...

[quote user="sweet 17"]

What is that Shakespearian quote (why can't I ever remember when it's necessary?) where Shylock asks whether he does not bleed or feel pain as others do?  Shakespeare fans, please come to my rescue!

[/quote]"Hath not a jew eyes?  If you pr1ck us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh;? If you poison us, do we not die?"

Woollybanana, as normal you have made me laugh our loud and splurt my coffee right over the keyboard ....

can I just thank you for the amusing comments that you have put out over the year. You keep me laughing and add a little humour just when it's needed.

From the banana fan club ...

That makes three article I've read on this subject - the other two being in the Guardian and the Times - both of which say more or less the same things. Our own reason for moving back is the prospect of my pension not being worth a bean when I get it, the bank(s) being unable or unwilling or unable to let me have credit for stock purchase to run my business, and the reduced number of expats (on which my business depends) moving out to France.

We have been fortunate in some ways though. Our house sold quickly, and the pound/euro parity is going to make buying a house in the UK that much cheaper... we were not so fortunate to have a house in the UK and France.

It is as said on another thread going to be a wrench to leave. My wife and I like to think we've absorbed both language and lifestyle - although more the latter to be honest, and we also leave our son here who speaks the language like he was born here, runs his own business, and has a long standing French girlfriend.... so it's not all bad in that a part of us will remain here after we have gone and hey, we'll have cheap holidays!

It's the press that is greatly to blame for this financial mess the world is in at present. Sure, it would have been bad, but the way they put panic into the masses has greatly influenced the scope of the crisis. And it's always reported as if it will be here forever. It won't. In a couple of years time, the economies will grow again, just like they always have before. And in 12 years time another recession will hit and the cycle will repeat again.

As for the health, I wonder if Sarko regrets that decision now. I would imagine France would lose more money with the Brits packing their bags and moving themselves and their money back to the UK or wherever they're going to, plus the loss of any future immigrants coming and putting their money into the economy.

But then what do I know?

R.

In my opinion it's a bit of a travesty that we pay through the ears in 'National Insurance' in the UK which is an EEC country then cannot translate this into a similar level of 'Cover' in France. It's not Frances job to pay for expats health care morally the UK should be providing this subject to adequate contributions having been made.

Big Mac hits it bang on. I've always said the same. The UK Govt should be able to very easily determine what N.I. has been paid by any individual and give cover accordingly.  We moved to France because we wanted to and it was our right to, the whole of the world is on the move and constantly within the EEC.    We never expected nor wanted to take anything from the French system, we've paid nothing in to it, and came here to retire.    I still say its a pity the UK had'nt worked on the same kind of system as France and it would'nt be in the state its in.      Having said that we have to take the good with the bad but I expect 100% no person retiring here to live on their UK pension would have imagined such a drop in the exchange rate, we've almost lost 1/3rd of our pension and that can't be right.   Yes - some will say "you did'nt moan when it was good", well of course we did'nt, but the fact is life is becoming very difficult for lots of us through no fault of our own.    Lots of us did'nt come here for the cheap plonk and cheese (neither appeals whether cheap or expensive), we came here for a better quality and more peaceful life.....and no, we hav'nt got the massive conversion and 7 hectares either.   Its a travesty we have to assess for any top-up insurance and more worrying that from Jan 08 we've had certain medication to pay for fully.     I think all pensioners on a UK OAP should write to their MP in the strongest terms if they feel that they've paid their full dues and should receive the same benefits of healthcare as if living in the UK, we are still British after all.      Let some of the "expenses" be stopped and make some of them live on our OAP payable to us for 3 months, I guarantee they'd soon see where we were coming from!

While I have the deepest sympathy for those who have suffered from the poor exchange rate(and I include myself in that statement) I cannot agree with either of the two previous posters.

No one forced you to move to France and as far as I can read the rules have not changed for those with an E121. You must have been aware of the need for a top up insurance so that has not changed. The only thing to have changed is the exchange rate and I am sorry but I cannot see any argument to justify the UK Govt bailing out people who have suffered as a result of the falling exchange rate.

Perhaps reflect that the UK National Health Service is free for every resident at the point of delivery and altho we may have a slight moan about it we do not have to pay for treatment if we are a UK resident.

You're right, Flunch, in that no one could have foreseen that the exchange rate would be this dreadful.

I suspect that, equally, no one could have expected that interest rates would be down to 2 per cent base.  IMO, it's not fair being blamed for not foreseeing the unforeseeable or not expecting the unexpectable.

So, lots of pensioners (both here and in the UK) would have saved for their retirement, have their savings in, for example, a high-interest deposit account and thought they'd made adequate provision for their latter years. 

Then, the double whammy, exchange rate down the chute, interest on savings now neglible and, to add insult to injury, you have righteous and envious journalists and others coming out of the woodwork and calling you feckless.

It's not fair but then life isn't fair and it's a case of what can't be cured must be endured, I'm afraid.

Of course no-one forced us here, I gave our reasons for coming here in my post, and it was down to choices.  Of course we knew of the E121 and what it entailed, we still made our choices.    Our opinion STILL has'nt changed that the individual's NI payments should be taken into account and cover given accordingly.    However, as stated, we made our choices.   Its the posts being changed thats the stumbling block, of course we knew the euro could go down but we never foresaw it tumbling like it has.   We arranged top-up insurance immediately but the posts have been changed on that score too and we have to fork out fully for some medication.   We took it out believing we were covered up to 100%, we're not because the posts have been changed and keep changing.

I'm not sure i really understand the problem.

If you are in receipt of a UK government state pension, and you have the E121, why do you need any sort of top up for health cover in France ? As I understand it, once you reach French pensionable age, all health cover is free.

Please somebody correct me if I have got this all wrong !!! I have to confess that I am not entirely up to date with the ins and outs of health entitlement for expats who are not working here, are on UK state pensions, or those who have taken early retirement but are not yet entitled to a state pension.

[quote user="Callie"]I'm not sure i really understand the problem.

If you are in receipt of a UK government state pension, and you have the E121, why do you need any sort of top up for health cover in France ? As I understand it, once you reach French pensionable age, all health cover is free.

Please somebody correct me if I have got this all wrong !!! I have to confess that I am not entirely up to date with the ins and outs of health entitlement for expats who are not working here, are on UK state pensions, or those who have taken early retirement but are not yet entitled to a state pension.[/quote]

Callie, hopefully I can make you understand how it works.  When you come here with your E121 you are placed in the same position as a French pensioner, ie you have 70% cover, for the remaining 30% you must take out a top-up insurance (its known as a mutuelle).    We took this out knowing our cover would now be 100%.  From Jan 08 the rules changed and people now have to pay a "franchise", the ceiling per year is supposed to be 50 euros, but I know lots who have paid more than this amount to date (us included).    The rule of thumb now is if CPAM won't pay it then your mutuelle won't either!   It depends what your medication is for and they fall into categories.   Initially our pharmacist said "mainly not life-threatening, for example, a skin cream to aid a skin rash", however, throughout this year we've found that we've had to pay for medication which does not fall into that type of category!   Its all in the labelling, white and blue are covered, anything with a yellow label has to be paid for, we don't know we have them to pay for until we get them from the pharmacist!  However, if you need them - you need them!       People who come here with the E106 have up to 2 years cover from the UK but still require a top-up insurance,  and as per the new rulings of Nov 07 they have to take out full medical insurance once that E106 expires, until they reach pension age and can claim their E121.

[quote user="flunch"]

Callie, hopefully I can make you understand how it works.  When you come here with your E121 you are placed in the same position as a French pensioner, ie you have 70% cover, for the remaining 30% you must take out a top-up insurance (its known as a mutuelle). [/quote]

Not quite the same as a French pensioner as they still have to pay the French equivalent of UK NI - I cannot remember the actual percentage - so we, incomers, do rather better than them as our E121s mean that we are not asked to make a further contribution to the French system, other than paying the franchises on drugs et al.

Sue