So Britain is inhumane, and France?

My dear GP, the source was the Mail so naturally odious comparisons spring to mind, given some of the readership. But lets just ask if we think the minister is right ie that UK is being unreasonable in keeping these people out and thus putting an unfair burden on France.

Those trying to get into UK illegally from (possibly) ex colonies are, I suggest, likely to be of an age such that they were born after independence of such colonies therefore have no claim to preferential treatment.

The UK colonies became independent countries at their own request and insistence, backed by the rest of the World who objected to British colonialism. Their choice therefore their problem.

As illegal immigrants into Europe they are required to be handled by the first 'safe' country they enter, by no stretch of anyone's imagination can the off shore island of UK be thought of as the first 'safe' country.

The French minister is being rather silly. (thats putting it mildly to avoid upsetting our French members)

powerdesal

Hear hear

UK doesn't really have any choice regarding people coming from other EU countries, there are probably more going to UK than France.

Maybe he should look at how the "illegals" got into France before criticising UK.

I think he's just p***ed off that UK didn't sign the Schengen Agreement.

So can sombody put me right here .....Taking what this minister said..Does this mean that every person in the world that speaks French having learned it because of being from some place under French control I the past .Algeria ..French Indo Chinea for example... and now wants to come to France because thats where he can be understood ......He is free to enter the country and claim everything going from French benefit system ?

Truth be known, we dont want them either, but the UK because of its location, although where they would like to be, is much more difficult to get to.

So they get as far as the tunnel on this side and thats the end of the road.

Those trying to get into UK illegally from (possibly) ex colonies are, I suggest, likely to be of an age such that they were born after independence of such colonies therefore have no claim to preferential treatment.

The UK colonies became independent countries at their own request and insistence, backed by the rest of the World who objected to British colonialism. Their choice therefore their problem.

As illegal immigrants into Europe they are required to be handled by the first 'safe' country they enter, by no stretch of anyone's imagination can the off shore island of UK be thought of as the first 'safe' country.

The French minister is being rather silly. (thats putting it mildly to avoid upsetting our French members)  quote Powerdesal

Thanks Steve for a sensible and balanced post.

Most of the illegals would be unlikely to find jobs, if allowed to,  and in fact most have some knowledge of the UK Welfare State and plan to exploit it.  Some ethnic groups born, or in the UK for years,  have a hig percentage that are  predominantly unemployed and on benefits- and make little effort to integrate.

Shame we're such a soft touch.

Tegwini

I still do not see your point.

A man raped a woman and during the trial he absconded but in his absence was sentenced to 8 years

As you were allegedly on the jury please inform us of the relivance of  this to illegal immigrants

Are you suggesting that he raped the person because he was an illegal immigrant or that he absconded because he was an illegal immigrant

or

Something else