President Obama

Dog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama is Probably one of the greatest orators of our time. I actually thought his recent speaches were a little lame compared to those he delivered on the election trail.

If he is President because he is black then the USA is in trouble. If he is President because he is the right man for the job, good on him, I believe the latter.

Anyways shouldn't we be discussing France's President?

I am curious as to why Obama is seen as a representatives of "African Americans" in the generally accepted meaning of the term (ie descendant of African slaves) - as I understand it, his father was a Kenyan, not an African American.  Obama was raised by his mother and her family in Hawaii - not a typical "African American" upbringing.

I wonder if many people supported and voted for him because of his colour and the fact that he was a "change", rather than for his policies.

I think it would be a terrible shame if everything he says and does is viewed through the filter of his skin colour.  Like an earlier poster, I feel it is more important to see what people do, regardless of their colour, race, ethnic identify, religion etc.  [:)]

[quote user="tj"]At least he's educated, unlike previous Presidents.

Although I fear he will have to do as he's told,  no new broom here! Mind you he surely can't do any worse than GWB.
[/quote]

So who was 'uneducated'?  Abraham Lincoln? (one year formal schooling),  Harry Truman (high school) or FDR? 

Can't be Dubya - he was smarter than JFK apparently although that's not saying much :

http://www.csbsju.edu/USPP/Election/bush011401.htm

Mr Cat[:P]

[quote user="ali-cat"]

Although I fear he will have to do as he's told,  no new broom here! Mind you he surely can't do any worse than GWB.

[/quote]

So who was 'uneducated'?

[/quote]

Solely being in attendance at  Harvard, Yale etc does not an educated man produce, university produces more of lifes failures than anything else, not forgetting these days many attend just to put off the inevitable move into the real world !

[quote user="tj"][quote user="ali-cat"]

[/quote]

So who was 'uneducated'?

[/quote]

Solely being in attendance at  Harvard, Yale etc does not an educated man produce, university produces more of lifes failures than anything else, not forgetting these days many attend just to put off the inevitable move into the real world !
[/quote]

I agree - but what point were you making originally?  Perhaps the issue of verbal fluency, in which case should we ridicule the new president for having to retake the oath of office after understandably fluffing the first attempt?  Can you point me to a source that strongly correlates verbal fluency with overall intelligence?

Mr Cat

[quote user="ali-cat"]

I agree - but what point were you making originally?  Perhaps the issue of verbal fluency, in which case should we ridicule the new president for having to retake the oath of office after understandably fluffing the first attempt?  Can you point me to a source that strongly correlates verbal fluency with overall intelligence?

Mr Cat

[/quote]

Given the nature of the event, it was understandable nervousness, just by the way, he had to take the oath again today because of the mistake.

GWB however had no excuse, after inflicting 8 years of misery on this world, with grave consequences still to come, and throughout his term in office, regularly being unable to string a few simple sentences together, and pushing the world into the mess we now find ourselves in, is a good enough indication of the mans intelligence.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Clair, that is also how I have understood it.

BTW, anyone remember Prince Charles getting his OWN NAME wrong when he was saying his wedding vows to Diana?

No wonder that marriage didn't go anywhere!

[/quote]

It was actually Diana who got the order of his names wrong

France Info have emphasised the true events of the Oath taking. The SCCJ made an error in the vocal lead given to BO; OB replied to the incorrect prompt by reciting the correct reply to the incorrect prompt. Of course this is no surprise to me as I would expect from a Harvard Law School graduate. I have of course not bothered to revise the SCCJ's CV but I would imagine, perhaps unfairly, that it would involve rather modest studies in a State University with a Pass or Aegrotat Degree.[6]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="ali-cat"][...] the new president [had] to retake the oath of office after understandably fluffing the first attempt?

Mr Cat[/quote]

I thought Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts had fluffed the oath and Obama had followed his lead...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

[/quote]

Robert's fluffed it in his attempt to prompt Obama, after Obama missed the oath, correctly read by Roberts the first time.

[quote user="tj"][quote user="Clair"][quote user="ali-cat"][...] the new president [had] to retake the oath of office after understandably fluffing the first attempt?
Mr Cat[/quote]
I thought Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts had fluffed the oath and Obama had followed his lead...

[/quote]

Robert's fluffed it in his attempt to prompt Obama, after Obama missed the oath, correctly read by Roberts the first time.
[/quote]

Have another listen!!![:D]

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=GpeK4CGHapA

[quote user="tj"][quote user="Clair"][quote user="ali-cat"][...] the new president [had] to retake the oath of office after understandably fluffing the first attempt?
Mr Cat[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But the second time he did not use a Bible - is this his get out clause?

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Mr Cat[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

my mistake,

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Mr Cat[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

my mistake, sorry

[quote user="Dog"]

Mr Cat[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But the second time he did not use a Bible - is this his get out clause?[/quote]

A Bible is not a requirement.

[quote user="Thibault"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Clair, that is also how I have understood it.

BTW, anyone remember Prince Charles getting his OWN NAME wrong when he was saying his wedding vows to Diana?

No wonder that marriage didn't go anywhere!

[/quote]

It was actually Diana who got the order of his names wrong

[/quote]

[:D] She obviously didn't know him as well as she thought she did?

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]In this day and age, how do you function without email?

Or is it different when you have risen to such heights that you have an army of people filtering all communication to you?[/quote]

I don't think the problem was related to how accessible he is or needs to be, but how easy it would be for communications to be intercepted.

Think back a few weeks ago to the Alaskan Moose discussing state affairs on her Hotmail (or was it Yahoo?) account...[Www]

Obama's election was a huge step for mankind- as well as for all Americans.

My Whoopi Goldberg book is in storage, so I can't check the words, but she starts by saying 'You can call me an ar....ehole, but DON'T call me an African American. Or call all Americans 'Italian Americans, German Americans, English Americans' etc.  The US  is a mongrel state - for the better I feel (and so is the UK- although the mix started a long long time ago).

His message is reminiscent of Jimmy Carter - who was mocked by those bearing rosier promises. Reagan and successors led Americans to believe they were entitled to a the good life. Obama - as did Carter - is stressing the need for the dream to be earned.

There is more chance that people will take heed now, simply because things are nearing rock-bottom. He seems to have the necessary skills to embrace, or give the impression of embracing, a wide range of interests. But he will really have to work some magic to stop the mistakes being repeated once (if) a semblance of national prosperity returns. Greed always seems to bring on amnesia.

I just hope he and his family manage to dodge the sniper's bullets. A US president is an automatic target already - but a black one...

I shall be interested to see how he gets on with the UK..The "Special relationship Grandad Hussein Onyango Obama passed his hatred of the British on to his family after his teatment in British hands as a Mau Mau suspect .and was not impressed to read in employment records his white employer thought his grandfather "not worth 60 shillings a month " He has appointed Rahm Emanual as his No1 in the white house and his dad was a member of the Irgun in Palistine and they were killing the British at the time .... no love for us there either ....