Seen the " alerte rouge and orange" ??

Frenchie

[quote user="Bugbear"]Cathy, time to batten down the hatches.  [/quote]

Bugsie - I have just posted in another thread that Clair started.  We have moved the children's beds away from chimney areas.  The ocean is frothing and is very, very audible even though we live 5 miles from the coast.  The air is very warm and calm....

Just a quick posting to see that everyone is safe and well.  We live in the Vendee and yesterday one or two trees down and some neighbours lost electricity but not too bad and quite a a bit of sunshine.

Frenchie my map reading skills are not brilliant but in your posting you say that Niort is or was above the orange alert.  We live but 30km from Niort surely Niort was inside the orange allert?

Hi,

GERS nr Lectoure. We have just spoken to friends who are staying in our house there. We have had a chimney down, tiles missing or moved, some smaller trees and plenty of branches down as well. Our next door neighbours have a large chimney stack down with damage to the rafters. No electric, telephone etc as expected.

I think we have been very lucky, it seems the damage in the area is going to be particularly severe in places. It is 10am and from the meteo it looks like the wind should be peaking soon. This ties in with friend's report that winds seem to have picked up in last two hours. Good luck to all out there!

Gatine Deux-Sèvres, some heavy rain over night, wind began to freshen  at 10:30 but even at 11:30 just stiiff gusts. Recent declaration from the Prefect's Office in Garonne on France Info; the tempest will peak at 12:13 [:D] and then gradually abate. However depending on the wind speed between 150-167 kmh this peak will arrive in Languedoc-Rousillon some 4-5 minutes later!

At the time of the 1999 tempest Red Alerts did not exist as they do now; it is the first time that a wind speed RA has occurred since the Great Storm.

The Isle de Ré and Oleron bridges are closed.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Gatine Deux-Sèvres, some heavy rain over night, wind began to freshen  at 10:30 but even at 11:30 just stiiff gusts. Recent declaration from the Prefect's Office in Garonne on France Info; the tempest will peak at 12:13 [:D] and then gradually abate. However depending on the wind speed between 150-167 kmh this peak will arrive in Languedoc-Rousillon some 4-5 minutes later!

At the time of the 1999 tempest Red Alerts did not exist as they do now; it is the first time that a wind speed RA has occurred since the Great Storm.

The Isle de Ré and Oleron bridges are closed.

[/quote]

At 11:53 the wind is now blowing from the EAST indicating that the centre of the cyclone is immediately to the south of Clochemerde, Gatine, Deux-Sèvres. Accordingly the coast of Aquitaine should be getting a peak at moment. I observe that the Garonne prediction was 20 minutes too late!![:)]

Here in the Cantal I'm beginning to appreciate the benefits of a lauze roof when it's blowing a gale. It leaks like anything (half a dozen buckets gradually filling in the attic) but as it weighs a ton (tonne?) at least it is a bit more resistant to blowing off.

Touch wood, so far it's all still there.

[quote user="Benjamin"]http://www.xcweather.co.uk/index.php?Loc=FR

This site gives wind forecasts as well as history. Nowhere near some of the speeds being claimed by some posters.  [:P]

10kms inland from Les Sables d'Olonne and it's calm now with some watery sunshine. No apparent damage anywhere.

[/quote]

This week France had TWO sets of high wind warning Wednesday-Thursday in the North with a maximum vigilance in orange.

The second Friday-Saturday in the south, particularly Aquitaine; in this case with to date 9 departments placed on RED ALEERT.

It would seem that you reporting on an earlier cyclone and not todays; assuming that YOUR Sables d'Ollone is in the Vendeée Department you will be currently in a YELLOW AREA.  So I wouldn't worry too much.