Is everyone okay out there in the snowy north

sueyh

The Loire does seem to be a geographical boundary between rain and sun.  We deliberately chose to live south of the Loire because of this.  Everytime we cross the Nantes bridge southwards, the temperature goes up by a few degrees.

I left Pas de Calais around 2 in the pm as the first flakes were falling, nothing much untill I got south of Bruxelles, up on the Ardenne in Belgium. Got back to Luxembourg OK, just took a bit longer as I was driving slower.  This morning, about 5 cms snow and -3 deg C.  Snowploughs and gritters had not been out so usual 30 mins drive to work took 1.5 hours.  Many of my colleagues that come in from the Metz/Thionville direction never made it today.

Still lots of snow on the ground but temp is slowly rising.

Don't attempt to come to the U.K. for a day or so.

Most of the country has ground to a halt, London buses are not running, all road, train and air travel severely affected. There's so much snow at Heathrow that the snow clearing equipment cannot cope with the amount and has nowhere to dump the snow. All B.A. flights from LHR cancelled until at least 17.00 today. Flights to / from Gatwick and London City also severely disrupted.

All schools in Surrey are closed and in many other counties as well.

A beautiful Winter Wonderland to look at ......if you can stay inside and don't need to travel.

[quote user="Cathy"]

The Loire does seem to be a geographical boundary between rain and sun.  We deliberately chose to live south of the Loire because of this.  Everytime we cross the Nantes bridge southwards, the temperature goes up by a few degrees.[/quote]

Sometimes this is not true. My OH and I left our home in southern Morbihan - 56 - at approx 6h00 one winter morning and it was +6°C, the closer we got to Nantes the lower the temperature became and by the time we arrived at our destination well past Nantes it was - 4°C. There was ice everywhere and deep frost in the fields. It remained dismal until 11h00 then the sun made a gradual appearance. When we arrived home that night I asked a neighbour what the day had been like there - 'lovely and warm all day' was his reply. Grrr.

Sue

[quote user="sparkapuss"]Sorry It's all my fault, someone on high has found out that I booked a Tours Stansted flight for tomorrow, then via road to SW London, pick up new car and return thursday. Everytime I plan something a damn great spanner goes in the works. Am I being paranoid[/quote]

Probably, but don't beat yourself up about it, just stay safe.

I'm not sure just how much of the UK has ground to a halt. Although we have plenty of snow all the main roads are operating normally and Birmingham, Manchester and East Midlands airports are all open.

We are threatened with worse though ............

Hoddy

About 10-15cm in Leicestershire and snowing hard. just been X-country skiing in the park opposite our house with a neighbour and daughter. Great fun!

Sorry sparkapuss - hope you get home safely. Tell us how you get on. I would offer you accom. but we are too far north.

I've just spoken to my son in Brighton.   Lots of snow so obligatory snowball fights etc.  So, did they go for a snowman? not a bit of it.  They built an ice bar in the front garden, complete with ice-glasses and cooled beer!  I'll post some pics if he remembers to send them.

Uni students eh!!

Am I the only one that thinks the British Airports Authority bosses should be hanging their heads in shame today ..The UK's main airport and they cant keep the runways open with over 50 snow clearence machines ....and only had one shift on duty de iceing aircraft.. No excuses there are plenty of airports that get snow to show them how its done Canada the USA for example ...they should have been ready for it !

[quote user="Frederick"]Am I the only one that thinks the British Airports Authority bosses should be hanging their heads in shame today ..The UK's main airport and they cant keep the runways open with over 50 snow clearence machines ....and only had one shift on duty de iceing aircraft.. No excuses there are plenty of airports that get snow to show them how its done Canada the USA for example ...they should have been ready for it ![/quote]

Probably Gordon Brown's fault as well[:P]

But bit of a buggar to get a plane down when there are 50 snow clearers on the runway.  Snow clearing was actually why a lot of runways were closed for short periods but that translates in the world of 24 hour news dumbing down to a closure.

Just seen the normally sensible Simon Calder say that other European Cities cope with snow every year, pehaps he should tell that to the people of Marseilles and Toulouse, both recently brought to a grinding halt by unusually heavy snowfall as was London yesterday where they had snow of a depth unseen for 20 years.  The key word here is every, of course cities like Praque, Berlin etc can cope because they get significant snow every year,  in the UK it was last as bad as that 18 years ago, are the council tax payers of the UK going to pay for staff and equipment that might get used once every 18 years??