French cheques in other Euro countries

If you have a French bank account, can you pay a cheque to another country which has the Euro, such as Italy, without incurring additional costs?  Have any of you done this?  Or is it classed as being a foreign cheque?  We need to pay a deposit on a holiday flat in Italy.  No we aren't being traitors - we'll be in France at Easter and for a few days on the way from Italy too.  Thanks.

[quote user="Jill"]If you have a French bank account, can you pay a cheque to another country which has the Euro, yes such as Italy, without incurring additional costs no?  Have any of you done this?yes  Or is it classed as being a foreign cheque yes?  We need to pay a deposit on a holiday flat in Italy.  No we aren't being traitors - we'll be in France at Easter and for a few days on the way from Italy too.  Thanks.[/quote]

Cost for a French cheque into a German account was 21€.  I would guess Italy would be a similar cost, but there are no guarantees on this.

I don't know about euro to euro bank transfers - I just know it is expensive to pay English money by bank transfer to a foreign account.  Anyway, it's OK, the place in Italy has accepted our reservation and said that we can just pay cash when we arrive.  Very kind of them really, but that happened last time we booked a place in Italy.  Some do in France too, but I'm always a bit wary as a Chambre d'hote did not honour our booking for a few days a few years ago.  We arrived there and they said that a booking for a full week had come in so they had booked us in at a neighbouring Chambre d'hote - it was miles away and instead of us having en suite bathroom, kitchen, dining room and lounge to make use of, we ended up with rooms where we couldn't even stand up straight in half of the room!  So I'm always a worried about booking without official stuff.  My daughter is living in France this year and has a French bank account, I was hoping we would be able to use that to make a deposit.  My bank advised me against bank transfers and told me a few years ago that making out an English cheque was acceptable.  I've found that does work - they just give it to you to tear up when you arrive, but if you didn't turn up, they could at least get some money out of it even after charges.

[quote user="andyh4"]My French bank has also tried to discourage me from doing transfers, but if you insist they will do it.  I suspect it costs them more than they charge.[/quote]

I suspect you are being charged to make a transfer because you ask your bank to do it for you. My bank doesn't charge me, but then I do the transfer myself online; same with la banque postale = free if done online.

Sue