Have you failed in France

JMB

I was told many years ago that if you hadn't made it by 40 then you had missed the boat.  At 40 there wasn't much I wanted to achieve, but in my 50s I decided to up sticks and move to France.  So at 60 I reckon I've made it!

[quote user="greyman"]I think he's missed the point. Isn't the greatest success getting to the stage when you don't need a watch !
[/quote]

And I haven't worn a watch for years!

Absolute failure, I haven't had a watch since I was twenty five years old.

Wanted to retire when I was 30 but there was a recession, postponed retirement until 40, managed it by 48.

Now the gentlemen that look after my pension (that I cannot have yet) have lost 40% of it!!!

[quote user="woolybanana"]You would all have loved to been in the position to have had one and all it implies. Don't pretend or lie to yourselves.[/quote]

I could have several, please tell tell me how I deceive myself in my denial of a silly watch?

Notice the words that I wrote. I specifically used Rolex as a statement of success, not a fact. If you all had the options that are implied, then you would love it because it means that you have the resources to do as you wish. Owning a specific watch is just a piece of nonsense, though I do enjoy mine. 

[quote user="woolybanana"]Notice the words that I wrote. I specifically used Rolex as a statement of success, not a fact. If you all had the options that are implied, then you would love it because it means that you have the resources to do as you wish. Owning a specific watch is just a piece of nonsense, though I do enjoy mine. [/quote]

Oh dear.................. good luck with enjoying your watch woolie............ and all the other rolex owners..........though, pray tell, how should I measure success in life?

Le petit Nicolas is known to the French, according to my closest French friend, a retired lecturer and wonderfully informed man, as M.le President Bling Bling!

And, as one columnist who writes on style commented, if Sarkozy actually knew anything about avante guarde style, then he would wear a collector's watch, which apparently is the "in thing"!

Sadly, for me, his association with a bed-hopping heiress of doubtful talent and even more doubtful morality, has denegrated French politics and its previously envied reputation for cultural excellence, at the top, even if, as usual, the player were wholly amoral.

Bling, and the Élysée Palace don't somehow, sort of gel.

I have always cherished a meeting I had with one of the World's wealthiest men: we were evaluating a project. Since it was warm, he kindly invited me to remove my jacket as did he. To my surprise, I noted that he wore a chrome played Seiko watch; and his hand made sea island cotton monogrammed shirt had the sleeves neatly darned at the elbows, from spending most waking hours on the telephone!

Of course, he had a wafer thin Patek Phillipe watch or similar in the safe at home, I'm sure, for formal functions.

I must be right at the leading style edge, I suppose, since I have a very collectable gold Omega Sea Master from the 70s! Which lives in the safe, as if it is worn all the time, costs a fortune each year or two for cleaning and adjusting!

Perhaps it is here worth recalling the wonderful comment from the late Victor Kyam: "I don't need a Rolls Royce and gold chains for me to know I'm successful!"

Kyam, of course, drove a 20 odd year old Cadillac...........................

How should I measure success in life?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Choice[/quote]

Very succinctly put and very, very true, some of my richest Rolex wearing clients used to be very jealous of pauvre moi because I had choice, it taught me a very important lesson to not envy and lust for what they had as they were in fact envious of me.

Nowadays I am a complete success as a poor non rolex wearing failure [:D]

People (sadly my family included) get very jealous of me because I have choice everyday and they assume that it comes from having money when in fact it comes from not chasing consumerism, when I explain how little I live on but how well I live they cannot comprehend it, they either think that I am insane or lying.

Personally, I wear a 'freebie' from Air BP, its worked perfectly well for the last five years, its only bad point is that the steel bracelet does get rather warm in the summer sunshine. It fulfils exactly the same function as a Rolex or a Patek Phillipe and is only replaced when I wear a penny thin Raymond Weille (sp) for 'dress' use.