Not to cause a panic, but...

I get the feeling as well Wooly, nothing tangible but a feeling of artificial calm that I have experienced a few times in the past just before all hell breaks loose.

I think that the resolution/capitulation in Guadeloupe is feeding the desires of certain factions.

Oh and a couple of whisperings that certain people will soon be coming into some money as they are going to "taper l'assurance" on cars they own that no longer run and that are uninsured.

Probably unrelated but there has also been a recent spate of house break ins, vandalism and cars stolen targettted on British owned homes in a village with a hugely disproportionate amount of UK immigrants and second home owners.

At first it was thought that it was because they were unoccupied but now it is the occupied ones being turned over and having (RHD) cars stolen in the middle of the night.

It seems in the UK the head of civil unrest planning at Scotland Yard is preparing for a summer of demonstrations . This time middle class unemployed are likely to take to the streets and he states that the banks are likely to be the target of their anger....Lots of young people ...lots of energy.lots of unemployment always a bad mix ....

[quote user="Frenchie"]

You may be right, gentlemen, and if people hear politicians evoke a general strike, hit the nearest Intermarché, because within a few hours there will be no sugar, pasta, rice, oil, etc .. left... !! [Www]

[/quote]

I hope that includes tripe and those big fat lollopy cows tongues on the meat counter. [+o(]

I think we are still miles away from real uprising... there is too much apathy and inertia. The Times article is really just scaremongering, capitalising on people's perennial fears of "reds under the beds" etc... which is such an old, obsolete model anyway.

I cannot even imagine another may 68 happening soon. But I may be way out of touch, and then I will be among the first one to have to eat sawdust off the floor when there is no food left on supermarket shelves...

I agree, 5-e, I don't think there will be any real disruption; if only because we all now live in a less idealistic and more selfish way.

After all, in any revolution, the revolutionaries often suffer as much as those they are revolting against.  See, 5-e, I haven't been reading those history books you recommended for nothing![:D]

Its remarkable with the "Just in time " system of food delivery to supermarkets how fast one can be emptied of food....The recent snow and road blocks resulted in empty shelves from late arrival of lorries from depots ..no fresh veggies of any kind ..It just shows in the event of serious disruption of delivery how quickly people could go hungry and an emergancy power would have to be activated by the state .

Perhaps some cold storage is needed and more stock held at supermarkets ?

Looks like Wooly was right  after all ...

From the France Inter/Info website

>>> Les syndicats confirment l’action du 19 mars

Les huit fédérations syndicales ont donc décidé de poursuivre la lancée sociale du 29 janvier. Elles jugent les mesures du sommet social insuffisantes et appellent à des manifestations et des grèves.

Comme le disait les leaders syndicaux au soir du sommet social, "le compte n’y est pas". Réunies ce matin au siège de la CFTC, les huit confédérations syndicales ont donc décidé de signer un nouvel appel pour une journée de mobilisation interprofessionnelle le 19 mars avec "grèves et manifestations dans tout le pays". Elles espèrent que le mouvement sera encore "plus fort" que le 29 janvier. Entre un et deux millions et demi de personnes avaient défilé dans les rues ce jour là lors de cette première grande mobilisation.

CGT, CFDT, FO, CFTC, CFE-CGC, FSU, Unsa (autonomes) et Solidaires (dont les syndicats Sud) estiment que les mesures du sommet social du 18 février "sont trop parcellaires pour modifier le cap économique". Les syndicats estiment qu’il n’y a qu’une légère inflexion du gouvernement. Ils critiquent aussi l’ "attitude dogmatique du patronat". Le refus d’augmentation du Smic, de revenir sur la défiscalisation des heures supplémentaires et sur les 30.000 suppressions de postes dans la Fonction publique sont leurs principales récriminations.

Une nouvelle réunion intersyndicale est prévue le 20 mars, au lendemain de la journée de mobilisation. Les syndicats estiment que les rendez vous sociaux ne sont pas assez préparés et ils se sont félicités de leur unité.<<<

Ah well....  one should always listen to our elders [:D]

[quote user="Frederick"]

It seems in the UK the head of civil unrest planning at Scotland Yard

.[/quote]

I had not realised that civil unrest in the UK was centrally organised - let alone run from NSY. Though this may explain why in France it always seems to be handled so much more efficiently.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]I had not realised that civil unrest in the UK was

centrally organised - let alone run from NSY. Though this may explain

why in France it always seems to be handled so much more efficiently.

[/quote]

Plus, practice makes perfect.  Though I would not rule a genetic component.

I think the 19th March was always  in the offing, even already planned

if the Government didn't give in enough to the demands made on the 29th

January.

It could well  just be a larger version of the last day of strikes, rather than an extended General Strike .

What would be more alarming would be to see the situation in Guadeloup spread.

I agree with 5e that I don't yet see the signs that that is immanent, but some politicians are playing a dangerous game in trying to stir things up for personal political gain.

At the same time the leftish readership of the Nouvel Observateur voted quite highly  ( 47%)that they thought this development was 'desirable' , so I think that indicates a stronger sentiment of discontent than I encounter in my daily dealings.