65th D-day Anniversary..Thank you President Obama

The British governement can not this year assist with  financially helping the delegation attending from the Veterans Association and have no plans to send a representative .saying 100 years  is planned for the next official  comemmoration ..when the veterans are  dead .....A national news paper starts a whip round to pay for those who cant afford the fare and hotel costs .. and Rod Stewart chips in with £7,500...shouts a bit about what a let down it is ...

Then suddenly  Barack Obama says  he is going to attend.to represent the USA .........and guess what...Gordon Brown ..NOW...can find a window in his diary to attend as well ....AND...the MOD suddenly think they should talk to the Veterans  about how they can assist..  "Gordon is tugging his forelock now Mr President !"

And .........I am astounded that there does not appear to be anybody in No 10 these days  prepared to give any thought to just how important these  war time commemorations are to those who took part and are coming to the end of their days. It takes a ...young ..newly elected head of state to point out to our Prime Minister that he thinks it a worthy enough occaision to cross the atlantic for even if he does not feel the channel worth crossing ....I would have liked to see the UK first with the list of dignatries attending ...not having to be pushed there 

Any person who thinks that Gordon has the slightest inkling of what the Public are thinking only has to look at how badly he has treated savers and especially pensioners in the UK with the banking debacle. I also notice his girlfriend Prudence has gone walkabout.

Why should they have a freebie to France? 

The war is over. I don't see the widows, mothers, brothers or sisters of the fallen in Iraq or Afganistan wanting a freebie there.

The dead are dead - they can be remembered wherever the survivors are -  France, UK, Canada, US, Germany, Russia, Japan or wherever.

Why has the Mail not launched a campaign for "fallen Blackshirts" or "British fascists" - they would be less hypocritical if they did.

The war is over - get over it.

If you want to commemorate the end of WWII or the loss of others do so by not buying into the jingoistic, fascist notions of those who make you sad puppets in their game.

LL

Correct me if I am wrong  but I believe our war dead from Afganistan  and Iraq are flown home unlke the thousands burried in France where  friends and family go to visit their graves ..... Indeed  Lucky you are Luke but for their sacrifice you would not have been able to write the post you did ....not in English anyway ..

In Normandy, there are 27 war cemeteries.  From the Allies, there are buried 18000 British, 9000 Americans, 5000 Canadians, 600 Poles and 19 French.

We have to commemorate the dead in an attempt not to repeat this scale of war.

President Obama is a refreshing breath of air in the international arena.