Self Removals to France

Mac

We are in the process of signing paperwork for our house in France. We are not selling our english property but renting it so we have no set date to move out. We also have some work needing to be done on the french property.

If we decide to move our furniture ourselves (over a couple of trips)-we have nothing exceptional large or valuable( except sentimental value)-do we need to provide any paperwork that the items are ours? The newest items we have are a sofa bought a year ago and a washing machine also bought about a year ago-everything else we have had for some time.Will customs on either side need anything al all?

I know that some people advocate selling everything and buying new but we don't want to do that.We have a long wheel base mercedes van which would take most of our stuff in about3/4 trips over.

We're all good Europeans now.  Moving your own stuff from UK to France is no more than moving stuff from say Kent to Sussex. (yeah OK some exceptions but nothing to affect Mac)

The only thing is that you'll get charged 'Freight Rate' for you big van on the boats or tunnel.

Good luck with your move!

AFAIK, Mac, you are allowed to bring all your personal belongings including plants here.

We used a removal company and they had a document for us to sign (for their benefit and not ours), saying the things they brought over belonged to us.

Thanks for the quick replies. I knew I could rely on the forum. We have researched the prices and since we are moving 'out of season' so to speak its quite cost effective plus we will sell the van in GB after we ahve finished with it.

We did our move in two trips with a hired van, no problems at all. A quick glance on Rosyth dock coming to France, and another one going back to Scotland. The sniffer dog was very interested in the holdall in the back of the van going back, which the HMRC man asked about, but it was only dirty washing. Fortunately he didn't ask to confirm it!

I can't remember what the rate was on the ferry, but not too bad, even though we were technically freight.

FairyNuff