Un p'tit brin de muguet

Clair

Yes thanks Clair - bon fête du travail ! - It's also my daughter's birthday  !  (13)

I've just been down to the local boulangerie to get breakfast - croissants, gateaux and pain au chocs, and I saw a mother setting her two children up on the roadside to sell bouquets of Muguet ( quite common here of course) but ....for  4.50€ a small bunch !! I think I'll wait for the next door neighbour to bring some round later this morning.

How much is roadside muguet this year ? Has it been a bad year ?

There is plenty growing in my neighbour's front yard garden and in hergarden (soon to be mine, hopefully [:)])...

Without even having to count them, I'm pretty sure I'd easily make €450 minimum if I wanted to sell them at €4.50 a bunch!! [:-))]

There is a peculiarity of French law which says that the sale of muguet on 1st May does not have to be declared for tax purposes, nor does the seller have to have any business registration!  So perhaps they are hoping to make a small windafall today.

[quote user="Cerise"]There is a peculiarity of French law which says that the sale of muguet on 1st May does not have to be declared for tax purposes, nor does the seller have to have any business registration!  So perhaps they are hoping to make a small windafall today.[/quote]

Not quite, Cerise [:)]. It is tolerated by tradition, but not written into law and in 2000, controls lead to 130 fines.

Article

R. 644-3 of the Penal Code prohibits the sale of flowers on public  land without

a permit.

However, in practice, the local authorities

tolerate it on 1st May as an exception in accordance with a long tradition.

Yes, quite amusing! In UK I dig some up every year to try to contain it a bit - it does tend to take over. It flowered very early this year. Despite it being in a sheltered position, I often have to dig some up and take it indoors in order to have it flowering for May 1st. This year we arrived back in UK on 29th April to see it looking like lace in the borders, obviously having been in flower for quite a while, and the smell was so lovely.

Jo

There are two patches near us.

One started flowering three weeks ago and, as of this morning, the other has barely started.

I am told the eraly patch is a cultivated muguet, whilst the other is a transplanted muguet sauvage.