Taxes Foncieres

[quote user="Hugh"]

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me is it possible to get a rebate/reduction on the taxes foncieres on a second home in france?

Kind regards  Hugh

[/quote]

Make it your main residence: according to my well informed French friend (Who also has a renovated farm house nearby as a Maison Secondaire), we are charged more because we are "Rich" since we dare to own more than one home!

[quote user="Hugh"]I not sure if I made myself clear, I live in the UK and have 1 house in france, [/quote]

No, you were perfectly clear, there is no reduction in your circumstances.  You need to be fiscally resident to be even considered for any reductions on taxes.

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="Hugh"]

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me is it possible to get a rebate/reduction on the taxes foncieres on a second home in france?

Kind regards  Hugh

[/quote]

Make it your main residence: according to my well informed French friend (Who also has a renovated farm house nearby as a Maison Secondaire), we are charged more because we are "Rich" since we dare to own more than one home!

What is a "Maison Secondaire"?

I have heard of a 'résidence secondaire', and a 'maison de vacances'..

[/quote]

[quote user="NormanH"]

What is a "Maison Secondaire"?

I have heard of a 'résidence secondaire', and a 'maison de vacances'..

[/quote]

C'mon Norman everyone knows what 'Maison secondaire' means !  to an English speaker it translates 2nd house, easy this translating! [;-)][:P]

Why don't you just come out with it and say "The French call a second home/ holiday home a Residence secondaire and you are wrong to call it a maison secondaire" there that wouldn't be that hard would it for a man of your straight talking talents![:D]

[quote user="Hugh"]

Hi all, Can anyone tell me is it possible to get a rebate/reduction on the taxes foncieres on a second home in france?

Kind regards  Hugh

[/quote]

You are not an MP by any chance Hugh, are you?  If you are, ask one of your mates.  I think you will find that you can get the moat around your chateau dredged as well.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]So its not your principal residence then and therefore attracts the higher rate of TF as Gluestick said above.[/quote]

Is it really a fact that residence secondaires have a higher rate of  T.F. or a Pas de Calais légende urbaine?

I hope it is not true as I dislike getting an unknown advantage.

Perhaps I should buy a few more and flip them, now who do I know of that knows how to do this?.......................

Now I'm really confused. I thought that is was only Tax Habitation that was 'means' tested where your revenue fisc de ref was taken into account and the figure reduced.  As the OP is not tax resident he would nevr get any kind of reduction.

[quote user="Panda"]Now I'm really confused. I thought that is was only Tax Habitation that was 'means' tested where your revenue fisc de ref was taken into account and the figure reduced.  As the OP is not tax resident he would nevr get any kind of reduction.[/quote]

I agree on both counts, in particular I said....

[quote user="Maricopa"] You need to be fiscally resident to be even considered for any reductions on taxes.[/quote]

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]So its not your principal residence then and therefore attracts the higher rate of TF as Gluestick said above.[/quote]

Is it really a fact that residence secondaires have a higher rate of  T.F. or a Pas de Calais légende urbaine?

I hope it is not true as I dislike getting an unknown advantage.[/quote]

I think it is a légende urbaine .... Owners of second homes pay the same rate of TF as is paid on principal residences: the only differences arise from the fact that they are not eligible for any form of reduction that might be due on principal residences due to the age or low income of the owner etc.

The Taxe d'Habitation, however, can be different on a second home than an identical principal residence for a couple of reasons:

1. The reductions that are available for a principal residence are not available for a second home (there is no reduction for the number of family members residing there, no reductions for low incomes or age) as before;

2. The "frais de gestion de la fiscalité directe locale" are charged at 8% of the billed amount for second homes as opposed to 4.4% for principal rsidences;

3. If the nominal "rental value" of the property is high, then an additional charge is made of 0.2% of the billed amount for principal residences and either 1.2% or 1.7% (depending on the rental value) for second homes.

Incidentally, returning to an earlier point, I notice that in the blurb on the back of the TH bill it specifies that TH is levied on people who "have the use of" (in French, "disposer de") a property, whether or not they actually occupy it (subject to the caveats about whether or not it is habitable etc).

Regards

Pickles