Powercuts: the new weapon of mass persuasion?

Clair

The people behind this are just malicious trouble makers. HOWEVER, there was one group (in the Douai area, I think) which actually switched electricity users over the cheap rate all evening and let this be known. It seems that is a much more sensible way to go as it inconveniences only the owners profits.

At least the French can strike and protest without the fear that their police force will beat them up, or worse, as at the G20 in London.

In fact the police in France always seem to be looking the "other way" at protests. [;-)]

Seems pretty straightforward to me - markets work on supply and demand.  If factories are overstaffed (read goods are overpriced) then they either cut costs or close.  Strikes, industrial action etc just increase the operating costs and the losses of the business and accelerate the inevitable.  Criminal acts (removal of power supples etc) justify criminal sanctions.  

[quote user="woolybanana"]The people behind this are just malicious trouble makers. HOWEVER, there was one group (in the Douai area, I think) which actually switched electricity users over the cheap rate all evening and let this be known. It seems that is a much more sensible way to go as it inconveniences only the owners profits.[/quote]

Now that I like, I must take a closer look at my meter and see if I can induce it to do the same.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Her current "flame" is called Mahmoud who is a Frenchman of Algerian descent. Though she may soon move on as she has mentioned a Turkish wrestler of some prowess![/quote]

Mahmoud sounds more like an English name to me.