french / english divorce issue...why are they not persuing husband?

Blade

my mum has been tryign to divorce and sort out the financial issues with her husband for 8 years in french courts. even though they got married in the uk under english law and then went to live in france because he was violent she went to solicitor in france. however this has been dragging on for 8 years and has caused my mum to put her life on hold.
he left her with nothing not even the basic pension credit (as the euqivalent does not exist in france!!!). he lives on a very comfortable pension and has probably hidden all of his money (about £200K). anyway mum went to court again (she is on legal aid in france) for the validity of the marriage (to cut a long story short he more or less abandoned her the day he got married). anyway now the courts have asked my mum to pay his costs and to pay him income when he is the one whose run off and left her in dire straits. You see under french law also he is said to own nothing (all of his money is in the UK) but no one in france seems to be bothered about this fact. I have told my mum to take this to the papers. does anyone have any idea what we could do? my mum is in shambles. thanks in advance.

I think you are going to have to put this in more detail, perhaps in a timeline format, in order that any one could help or comment. I know its difficult when such upsetting situations occur, but the more you can say (without going into too much personal detail) in an ordered way, the better.

Sorry to hear about these troubles.

Hi Blade

I'm so sorry to hear of your mum's situation.  Perhaps you could try one of the law forums on the net which may provide information regarding the possibility of pursuing the case in the U.K. Good luck with this.