Suitable present

I have a dilemma and would welcome suggestions. One of our neighbours in France befriended and looked after our recent US home exchangers.  The home exchangers (now back in the US) have emailed to say they would like to get her a gift and asked for suggestions.  I am reluctant to ask her straight out what she would like (seems to spoil the concept of a gift).  I'm conscious that p&p from the US is likely to be expensive so I'm wondering whether vouchers or a delivered gift would be a better option but I'm not familiar with the popular gifts of this type that can be used / delivered in France.  The neighbour is female and in her early 40's.

Any thoughts would be welcomed

I've never met a woman yet, in her early forties, who wouldn't appreciate a bottle of perfume.

(perhaps your US friends could send the cash to you, along with a card, then you could buy the gift easily and present it to her with the card.  Thus saving expensive postage charges)

[quote user="newbiee"]
I've never met a woman yet, in her early forties, who wouldn't appreciate a bottle of perfume.

[/quote]

Whilst I'm not in my early forties, I for one, would NOT appreciate a bottle of perfume as I have very sensitive skin and can use very few perfumes (unfortunately all expensive) that wouldn't make me break out in a rash.

I do think perfume is very personal and should only be given to you by your lover or very close friend. Only my opinion, mind, so don't all jump down my throat.