French Tax Form 2006

Beryl

I don't think the French do see it that way.  Certainly the taxes are done together, but it is not in reference to man, but rather considers the two together.  I wonder if your bills in reality just come to one person?  None of ours come to both of us.  Some bills come to me, some to my husband, I have EDF and the internet and the water, he has FT (hmmm, something wrong there [*-)]) and the bank statements are addressed to both of us and my bank card has my name on it, with Mme in front of it.  The bank had no problem with that.  It is just the tax people, who ask you if you are keeping your name when you first fill out the form on getting married, and then take no notice at all!  We actually went in person to complain, and  I pointed out that all of my papers for the taxes were in my own name and not his, (incidentally I'm employed by the state, they have no problem seeing me as married with my own name).  It was only when asked what they did for gay couples who had done the pacs that they agreed that perhaps they could put two names on.  The address on the tax demand now comes in both our names, but not any other post they send, which I now just send back, or the RIB which is on the tax demand so I send them a cheque, with the RIB suitably highlighted incorrect name.  I must admitt this is a real irritation for me (can you tell?) as there is no way I am changing my name, and I know that legally I am in the right (it is even printed inside the livret de famille that marriage does not change your name - or indeed your nationality which is another gripe, lots of French people think I'm French, they never think my husband might be English because he's married to me) and the problem is tradition.  My husband tells the story of his grandmother receiving for years letters addressed to "Mme Veuve Husband's name" like she really didn't exist.  How creepy is that?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic