French Tax Form 2006

Beryl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should fill in a tax form for your income in 2005 from the date you arrive in France in 2005.

Some tax officials have been known to say that this is not necessary if one moves late in the year, but in fact, you should really and I reckon that is usually in the persons interest to do so too as we are often asked for proof of residence etc and the tax form for all sorts of things. The forms come out in March time.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Teamedup"]

You should fill in a tax form for your income in 2005 from the date you arrive in France in 2005.

Some tax officials have been known to say that this is not necessary

if one moves late in the year, but in fact, you should really and I

reckon that is usually in the persons interest to do so too as we are

often asked for proof of residence etc and the tax form for all sorts

of things. The forms come out in March time.

[/quote]

Sorry TU I'm confused by you first line... the tax form available in Mar 2006 is for the tax year j/d 2005 - right ?

p

The tax forms never come out on a specific date, ask at your Mairie at the beginning of March or call in at your local tax office to get a form they are out around then. It is up to us to get hold of the first form ourselves. You could ofcourse declare on line, but I have never succeeded yet.

And yes, you do the declaration for the whole of 2005, or from the date you arrived.

I understand the centre d'impots are going nationwide with the trial they did on pre-filled in tax forms last year (one of which was in dept 35 where I am) and the form didn't come through to me until the beginning of May, I'm sure it will be the same thing this year for 2005 tax forms.

Your employment earning details are also filled in (that is if you are a salarié). If you are a non salarié, I'm not sure if you can get hold of them earlier to fill them in. I only had about a week from receiving the form last year to the deadline of getting it back to the centre d'impôts.

Having just had a meeting with our accountant, I can confirm that what SusanAH says is correct. Personal tax forms will be issued with things like salary, bank interest and other things known to the tax office already filled in. This was trialled last year in a couple of regions (including 35 where our accountant is based) and is being done nationwide for personal tax returns relating to the 2005 tax year. The forms are not expected to be issued until April at the earliest, more likely May.

It is a legal requirement, as well as making your own life considerably easier (and possibly cheaper), for those resident in France to make a tax return so do notify your mairie or hôtel de impôts. 'Resident' covers a lot of things, like having your main home in France, your family or dependents being in France, or your main economic activity being based in France, not only the basic British 183-day rule.

As I posted on here last year, we in the 35 were certainly the guinea pigs and our tax forms were sent out in May.

For the self employed, little or nothing had actually changed. We still

had to fill in our "boxes" so to speak but someone said then, that it

really was for those on salary's. We also had to fill in the bank

interest as well Bill but I guess it was early days and as this system

progresses, so I suspect more can be pre-filled in for folks.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

The tax forms never come out on a specific

date, ask at your Mairie at the beginning of March or call in at your

local tax office to get a form they are out around then. It is up to us

to get hold of the first form ourselves. You could ofcourse declare on

line, but I have never succeeded yet.

And yes, you do the declaration for the whole of 2005, or from the date you arrived.

[/quote]

I've looked at the on-line filing and - as far as I can tell - you can

do it from year 2 onwards. - certainly you can't do it without having a

fiscal number which rather predicates a visit to the Hotel des impots,

doesn't it?

My wife and I arrive at the beginning of May to take up residency in France.  I understood from a bank employee in France that we would not need to complete a tax form until 2007 (for 2006), that being our first year in the Country.  Is this info incorrect and are we expected to fill in a form for 2005?  If so, this is presumably only a formality, as we paid UK tax in 2005

mikejac

I think there is some degree of misreading here. Surely if someone does not arrive in France until May 2006 then they do not need to complete a tax return in france until 2007. Even then it would only be from the date of arrival in France in 2006 until 31/12/2006.

In my opinion and experience then the bank clerk is correct.

Sol

[quote user="Mikejac"]My wife and I arrive at the beginning of May to take up residency in France.  I understood from a bank employee in France that we would not need to complete a tax form until 2007 (for 2006), that being our first year in the Country.  Is this info incorrect and are we expected to fill in a form for 2005?  If so, this is presumably only a formality, as we paid UK tax in 2005

mikejac
[/quote]

If you are going to take up French residency in May 2006, then I believe your info is correct, you will need to fill out the French Tax forms around March 2007 for worldwide income in 2006.

[quote user="Soleil"]

I think there is some degree of misreading here. Surely if someone does not arrive in France until May 2006 then they do not need to complete a tax return in france until 2007. Even then it would only be from the date of arrival in France in 2006 until 31/12/2006.

In my opinion and experience then the bank clerk is correct.

Sol

[/quote]

You are right, the confusion is over one person arriving in 2005 and another arriving in 2006. Your statement is correct apart from the fact that it is from the day after arrival until the 31st of that year.

As my original post implied (but perhaps didn't make clear) we don't

move until May 2006, so I gather now that I don't, after all, need to

fill out any tax forms until 2007.  I raised my question because of the statement made by Teamedup.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Some tax officials have been known to say that this is not necessary if one moves late in the year, but in fact, you should really and I reckon that is usually in the persons interest to do so too as we are often asked for proof of residence etc and the tax form for all sorts of things. The forms come out in March time.

[/quote]

I also gather from other threads that it is necessary (or perhaps desirable) to complete tax forms in order to join the French health service. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thank you for your help.

I emailed my local impots to request all the forms and I was informed that I needed to email again at the beginning of May when the forms will be sent out. So I think I was panicking a bit prematurely.

Hello Folks

I must admit I am still confused.   When we arrived permanently in August 05, having had the house for 12 years.   We notified the Maire that our move was définitif, we sorted out driving licences etc but were told we did not need to worry about tax until the following year when we would be automatically sent a form.    To make doubly sure we toddled off to the Hotel des Impôts who told us the same thing.   If, as I understand it from this topic, we do need to complete a tax form now- where can we get one and how?   Personally, I don`t want to wait, it complicates things in the UK, I would rather sort it out now.

Glynis

The forms on which you make your declaration for calendar year 2005 will not be ready until May - late April at the earliest according to the accountant we use. As the tax office presumably has your details, you will most likely be sent one automatically, otherwise you will have to ask for one at the time. The system is changing this year - forms will be sent out with some details, such as salaries, already filled in. As you are new, probably all that will be filled in for you will be your names, address and reference number. It seems daft to have to wait that long, but that's the system. Even though you would rather do things in advance, the system doesn't work that way.