Money in post

My 90-year-old grandmother sent 4 x €5 notes in a birthday card to me (received today) where the envelope, card and money had been cut through and half of each of the €5 notes were removed. The envelope had then been resealed with a large white "customs" sticker. Has anyone else ever experienced this or can explain why it has happened. I will have to tell granny the news tomorrow and would like to be able to give her an explanation - because the whole thing is beyond me (rather petty, I think personally). Fortunately the halfs of the notes restuffed into the envelope contained the full reference numbers so my bank has sent them to Bank of France in hope of them being reimbursed to me. Not a pleasant experience - or a happy birthday!

Thanks in advance, PG

Quite how you go about proving how many notes were in an envelope, if any, I don't know but for sure any potential claim for loss would begin with you providing proof that you did indeed send them.

As to how anybody would know that there was money in an envelope I don't know, unless perhaps the radar scan reveals the foil strips in the notes, but greeting cards cards are stiff, and sometimes quite big and thick too, features which can make them a convenient way of concealing drugs so could well attract the attention of customs officers.

I would have thought though that any procedures for opening and inspecting mail would be done in a properly controlled and accountable manner so it is surprising that money has gone missing but I really don't think there is any point at all in trying to make anything of it, not for €10.

Next time send the money in a letter, folded in a sheet of A4 so they don't show if held up against the light, and send the card separately [I]

Gacias for the responses. As the notes still contained their full reference numbers my local bank was quite happy to send them to the Banque de France to get them exchanged. Not to worry about Granny - she's a tough old bird, even at 90-years-old (not to be confused with Clair's cockerel) and has now vowed not to send money through the post again! We've been trying to tell her for years (after many losses of cards - mainly in the UK!) but it has taken an event in a "foreign" land to put her on the straight and narrow. [:D]