What a silly article

How on earth can anyone write this? It must be the silly season of course when journalists are away on their hols and there is not a lot of copy about so they reach into the bottom drawer of bad stories.

Personally I do not know anyone in France like this. Setting up 'Aunt Sallys' is just ridiculous:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8176312.stm

I thought it was mildly amusing.  The point of the article (I thought) was not so much France v England but some of the frustrations arising from living with what was thought of as a good friend.

Once went on holiday together with my best friends family and it was very frustrating - their family habits were totally different to ours (getting up - meal times etc etc).  Wasnt the whole article knocking his friend rather than knocking France (or unrealistically praising England)?

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Off to buy stale baguette and then will cook ratatouille ( guess that s what he calls " overcooked vegetables " )

[:D]

[/quote]

IMHO ratatouille should be well cooked, I have been offered undercooked ratatouille in the past and for me it's not so good. I think the writer is talking about the miserable, overcooked, apologies for vegetables frequently served in restaurants [+o(]and on that point I would agree with him.

Frenchie, I can assure you that there is a certain type of British person - the sort that the French deride for serving boiled meat and jam - who insists on boiling all vegetables for at least four hours. Fortunately they now are in the minority, and, as you say, the current taste (particularly in reasonable pubs and restaurants in Britain) is for vegetables to be al dente - i.e. slightly crispy.

I know it varies in different parts of France but here in Normandy most vegetables are traditionally regarded as cattle food, and only comparatively recently have restaurants caught on to the fact that you can actually serve something other than chips and salad with meat or fish. Also the variety of vegetables available on the markets has considerably improved; even, horror of horrors, including some imported produce. But the supermarkets in general have a pretty unimaginative choice. The classic round here is selling frozen peas only when peas are in season.

You can't beat a firm parsnip either [;-)]

A friend who is a good cook, apprenticed to a top chef decades ago, invited his neighbours round for a real English roast.

He gave them roast beef and Yorkshire pudding "pudding with the meat!", plated all together "you have the  vegetables with the meat?" and "are these vegetbles al la dente?". He served them cheese after the desert "this is the wrong way round!" Still they enjoyed the experience.