G W Bush and the Monsters of the Bible

The American website www.secularhumanism.org reveals that George W Bush attempted to convince Jacques Chirac to join his Iraq invasion by stating that Gog and Magog, the Bible’s satanic agents of the Apocalypse, were threatening Israel. In a telephone conversation with the French president he said “Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East…. The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled…. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people’s enemies before a New Age begins.” This story has also appeared in the Guardian and appears to be well attested.

On inauguration, American presidents place their hands on the bible and swear to uphold the constitution. It seems Mr Bush managed to confuse these two documents.

How was it that the (currently) most powerful nation on Earth managed to elect a man who, to many people appeared to be an inarticulate, ex-alcoholic, intellectually-challenged fundamentalist as its commander- in- chief?

It has been suggested that his greatest support came from the Bible Belt, where people thought he would outlaw abortion.

About 40% of Americans deny the concept of evolution. These are the people who think that the world was created on a Sunday evening in October 6,000 years ago, that antediluvian children played with pet dinosaurs, and that the rapture of the End Times is imminent.

Perhaps the End Times ARE near, but that won’t be anything to with God, but the deluded people who claim to act in his, her or its name.

A smart American who appeared quite rationale and held down a pretty high powered job, once told me in all seriousness that believing in evolution was like parking a mini in your driveway and waking up expecting it to have turned into a Bentley Turbo....... I kid you not....... strangely enough he didn't want to talk about the Galapagos Finches

The Bible also tells us not to murder and kill. But I guess Mr Bush didn't get that far in his bedtime reading.

Whether god exists or not, who knows? I certainly don't and I don't believe anyone on earth does know. That's why it's such a dangerous thing to be messing around with, especially at his level.

I always thought the American constitution was founded on non religious grounds?

I'm not completely sure that is correct Richard, but I like the cut of your jib me hearty (and I'm sure the Supreme Being - the great Flying Spaghetti Monster will forgive you in its ultimate wisdom and compassion).  I am a convinced Pastafarian [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster[/url].   I find the tiresome attachment to the darker side of the Bible so tawdrily wagged in our faces by the likes of Bush terribly disappointing (and rather insulting).  As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, if only Bush and his ilk espoused some of the more "Christian" of Christian values, the ordinary people of this planet might be a little safer (and quite a few of them would not be dead).[:(]

[quote user="buelligan"]I'm not completely sure that is correct Richard, but I like the cut of your jib me hearty (and I'm sure the Supreme Being - the great Flying Spaghetti Monster will forgive you in its ultimate wisdom and compassion).  I am a convinced Pastafarian [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster[/url].   I find the tiresome attachment to the darker side of the Bible so tawdrily wagged in our faces by the likes of Bush terribly disappointing (and rather insulting).  As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, if only Bush and his ilk espoused some of the more "Christian" of Christian values, the ordinary people of this planet might be a little safer (and quite a few of them would not be dead).[:(][/quote]

It is correct. I've seen it on Star Trek. And to a certain extent Star Wars, but they didn't have any plants on their spaceships, so I'm thinking that one's a little far fetched.

[;-)]

I do apologise Braco!  I, for one, would never confine my derision to just one racial group.  I should have made it quite clear in my posting that my disdain is freely available to all hypocrites regardless of creed, colour, sexual orientation and so on...[:D][;-)]