Surely this is not racism?

I wonder if we should trust what the article says (keeping in mind its a professional paper with professional journalists) as in one part it talks about an act in Australia who painted themselves black, put on Afro wigs and imitated the Jackson Five. Further down the page it says they painted themselves white and put in Afro wigs, doh. I did like Harry Connick's Jr's comment in the same article "we've spent so much time trying to not make black people look like buffoons", I hope he does not mean the way that comment could be misunderstood by some.

I also wonder how people would react if it were a black model, say Naomi Campbell, who painted herself white for a fashion shoot, don't forget racism goes both ways. Personally I think it was probably a stupid and tactless thing to do but I wouldn't loose any sleep over the matter. Don't forget any publicity is good for sales.

[quote user="Quillan"]

..........don't forget racism goes both ways.....[/quote]

I think that "goes" should really be replaced by "should go", as it seems that only white skinned people are considered to be racist, those of a different skin colour do not appear to attract the same epiphet.

I find the current way so many people interpret "racism" very difficult. I've always thought it to be a serious issue where some (rather stupid) members of a race treat members of another race (or, all other races) badly just because they are a different race.

However, the media seem to think that anything which is said or done which uses a racial stereotype is evil and so so so wrong. So, I can call somebody a bignosed idiot (as long as big noses are not a racial trait) even if I know that the intended victim will be deeply hurt by the comment. However, I can't use a "so called" racist term, even if there is no malice behind it.

A foriegn friend posted the following comment soon after Anton du Beck's stupid comment was posted. "Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity". I think we would be better if we all lived by that maxim.

I believe in UK that the definition of racism has now come down to the simple and pathetic fact that if any person regards a comment or act as racist then in the eyes of the law that is sufficient to make it so.

Wooly, so you are a secret DM reader then [Www]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Say the B n W Minstrel show got Afro-Caribs to white up and Whites to black up, where are we then?[/quote]

Black people white up all the time, (Michael Jackson for example) white women tan their skin.  What matters? 

Didn't the B and W Minstrel show get banned.  There was no racism involved.  Golly got banned from jam jars etc etc. No one ever thought it was insulting black people.  and what about baa baa white sheep ..... the world has gone bananas Wooly.

[quote user="Georgina"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Say the B n W Minstrel show got Afro-Caribs to white up and Whites to black up, where are we then?[/quote]

Black people white up all the time, (Michael Jackson for example) white women tan their skin.  What matters? 

Didn't the B and W Minstrel show get banned.  There was no racism involved.  Golly got banned from jam jars etc etc. No one ever thought it was insulting black people.  and what about baa baa white sheep ..... the world has gone bananas Wooly.

[/quote]

Oooo racist [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]I was thinking of Katy Brand and her take on Beyonce I don't remember seeing any complaints about that, ah but of course it humour so its not offensive. [6] .[/quote]

I watched this and am still waiting for the funny bit...[8-)]

[quote user="Georgina"]Black people white up all the time, (Michael Jackson for example)...[/quote]

I don't think he had much choice in the matter as he was suffering from vitiligo.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Georgina"].. the world has gone bananas Wooly.[/quote]
Is this fruitism ? [:@]

[;-)]
[/quote]

You naughty fruity girl you! I shall have to tan your little tush to make you behave!![6]

[/quote]

Clair, you musn't make fun of Woolybanana in this way.  If Dick Smith were still around, he'd have had Wooly for breakfast by now.  For those not "in the know" DS's avatar was a rather large monkey.

Seeing the world from the point of view of a banana, one's got to be so very careful of monkeys, don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...
Just to bring this back on course.... having spent many years travelling around France supplying services to Brits, do you know what the most common reason held (repeated ad nauseam) for leaving the UK? That it was full of blacks, asians and other immigrants.

Maybe it is getting that way, but I did make the mistake once of pointing out to a client he was also an immigrant - he was not a happy bunny.

For goodness sake this is Vogue magazine - it's the fashion industry the most totally vacuuous, and pointless industry there is.  Who cares?  The whole magazine is completely up itself and without merit.  You will be listening to the profound opinions of movie stars next.

If someone you consider to be an idiot says something idiotic you ignore it.  Why do people take this trash so seriously?

it seems 75 year old Clive Baldwin who has been an Al Jolson impersonator for decades was prevented by The Belgrade Theatre Coventry last week from "Blacking Up " for the show. Angry fans who has paid £18.75 for tickets were they felt conned as the show was now historically innacurate ...The theatre has said to "Black up " would be innapropriate in a modern multicultural society " How daft can you get !