Mad Mad UK

memb

Powerdesal

The following sentence is overtly racist:
And yet the UK indigenous population is supposed to accept - without any murmer or protest - groups of immigrants into our country who not only wish to change our way of life, our laws and our attitudes about free speech - but also with to IMPOSE THEIR VALUES ON A WHITE CHRISTIAN COUNTRY.

It is the sort of statement uttered by the BNP and its supporters. Perhaps you find it acceptable, I don't.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd isn't it Chessie, that you wrote; " An Aetheist living in France would, I am sure, have real problems with the 'Religioust Flim Flam' around the place.   All the statues in the villages to this Woman in a Blue Cloak, or to that Cross or Crucifix or that Man hanging on a Cross.   I find it offensive to see such things in towns and countries - they are obvious signs of religious brain-washing.", but you also say you wish to protect British values which you interpret as those of a "WHITE CHRISTIAN COUNTRY". 

I think you should cut to the chase - you admit you are offended by Christian symbols - surely it would be more honest of you to write "A WHITE COUNTRY"?

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

Powerdesal

The following sentence is overtly racist:

And yet the UK indigenous population is supposed to accept - without any murmer or protest - groups of immigrants into our country who not only wish to change our way of life, our laws and our attitudes about free speech - but also with to IMPOSE THEIR VALUES ON A WHITE CHRISTIAN COUNTRY.

It is the sort of statement uttered by the BNP and its supporters. Perhaps you find it acceptable, I don't.

[/quote]

Correction Clarkkent, the statement is actually NOT overtly racist but is factually correct.

I assume you refer to your capitalised part, factually the UK is a 'white Christian' country. It may not suit some people to accept that fact but fact it is. Whether I find it acceptable or not is irrelevant, I don't live there. It is however a documented fact that 90% of the UK people are indigenous Britains, overwhelmingly ( I suggest ) white skinned and nominally (at least) Christian.

Statements of fact may, in this PC World, be considered by some as ''overtly racist'', I consider them to be 'overtly realistic'.

It is also a perception that certain groups of immigrants to UK are in favour of changes to the historical way of life, laws and possibly attitudes. Such desires do not lead to easy integration and, as I said earlier, lead to polarisation of attitudes. This polarisation cannot be good for anyone in UK, immigrant or otherwise.

What troubles me is the assumption that every non white face is an immigrant, we must have families here now whose grandparents were originally immigrants - when do they stop being classed as somehow different when they were born here, went to school here, grew up and live here and so did their parents ?

My grandfathers grandparents were Prussians who came to the UK like thousands of others, to work, by the time of WW1 my grandfather was considered British enough  to join the army, but of course that must have been different,  he was white.

In addition this argument that people leave the Uk to get away from immigrants is pretty weak, some area's have a lot more immigrants than others, it is pretty easy to move away from the situation within the Uk - the more likely reason for people moving to France is that they did well in the Property boom and can afford something bigger and more rural than than could in the UK, but they wouldn't dream of saying so, better to be thought a racist than admit  financial reasons. [:@]

If these people are so passionate its a shame they didn't stay to 'defend' their country themselves.[Www]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

My grandfathers grandparents were Prussians who came to the UK like thousands of others, to work, by the time of WW1 my grandfather was considered British enough  to join the army, but of course that must have been different,  he was white.

[/quote]

Are sure it's safe to write that on a french forum, they may not have forgiven you for winning at Waterloo [;-)]

Nativity plays banned, Xmas back instead of Christmas, changing carols to suit the multi cultural society but  when a teacher substitutes a "partridge in a pear tree " for "corncrake in a palm tree" because she doesn't want to step on any toes, then that, for me, is the end.  When are true Brits in Britain going to get some backbone and declare enough is enough

The point of me posting on this old topic was to say that this is utter rubbish fed to those who read and take in such junk from the popular press written to sell newspapers and to breed racism!

Nativity plays are being held at all of the local primary schools right now in 2009, no one changes christmas carols here either.

I would go as far as to say in these parts the schools have gone the other way and are doing more 'christain' things now than they were 10 years ago.

The postings since just confirm something that I've always felt,  a lot of Brits in France are odd, and not in a good way!

I assume you refer to your capitalised part, factually the UK is a 'white Christian' country.

It was not I that capitalised those words - if you check you will see that they appear as such in the original message. As for your comments about polarisation of attitudes, I agree with your sentiments. However, I prefer to see people as human beings and not further categorise them. I suspect we must agree to differ.

As it happens, I abhor political correctness, but I also abhor intolerance. And before you accuse me of being intolerant towards expatriate Britons, I was not.  

Gee, thanks, Panda, I ain't "odd", honest![:D]

What is it with these white supremacists that wish to spread their doctrine everywhere!

As far as I'm concerned, people are just people.  I also don't find much problem with the so-called "economic migrants".  After all, haven't many people come to France from the UK, when they realise they can own a bigger, better house in the French countryside by selling their over priced, under sized semi in the UK?

Go on, be honest with yourselves, all you immigrants.  You have come here because you perceive, rightly or wrongly that life in France is better and more to your liking.

So then, why do some of you (many honourable exceptions here on the Forum) grudge other people from other parts of the globe trying to better their lives by emigrating to a country other than their own?

Surely what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander?

Well said Sweet! 

I would just like to add that I was born a third generation immigrant.  I lost my Country, home, friends, pets, possessions, in fact, just about everything I knew and held dear because some people thought I was the wrong colour.  The experience was extremely unpleasant.  I would never wish others to have it.  It makes my blood boil when I hear the kind of fatuous guff posted here about sending anyone back where they "belong".  Why don't you get up off your behinds and do something good for the world instead!?

Buelligan -

Re-read my post please - I said 'An Aetheist living in France'...I did NOT say I was an Aetheist - do not put words into my mouth.  I was merely suggesting the terminology that an Aetheist might well use to describe all the religious icons that are dotted around France.

I did NOT state what my religious persuasion is...I am merely pointing out a different viewpoint  about the religious icons...and just how the French would react if it were suggested that they be removed - and CHANGED  the character of France by INCOMERS, NON-INDIGINEOUS PEOPLES - whether they be blue, green, orange, purple, or little green men.

My point was that the French would not appreciate Incomers trying to change their history and tradition.   So why when the Brits protest are they called Racist.

Even our wonderful Saviour of the World Gordon Brown has said 'It is NOT Racist to discuss immigration numbers'...

Chessie

I am an atheist and I don't  find other people's beliefs in the least bit offensive.  Yes, I think they're disillusioned but they do not cause offence at all.

Of course Gordon Brown has to tell people it is not racist to discuss immigration numbers.  He needs to attempt to make true lefties believe he is still at least partly one of them before he starts pandering to the racist notions of some of his potential supporters.  Never lose a vote for the sake of a principal.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I assume you refer to your capitalised part, factually the UK is a 'white Christian' country.

It was not I that capitalised those words - if you check you will see that they appear as such in the original message. As for your comments about polarisation of attitudes, I agree with your sentiments. However, I prefer to see people as human beings and not further categorise them. I suspect we must agree to differ.

As it happens, I abhor political correctness, but I also abhor intolerance. And before you accuse me of being intolerant towards expatriate Britons, I was not.  

[/quote]

I have no problems with seeing people as uncategorised human beings, neither do I see how we must agree to differ. Nowhere have I adopted, said nor intimated that I have (what some might call) a 'racist' attitude, (I have never been accused of that). I will say again that I have no problem with controlled immigration, however, I truly believe that uncontrolled immigration will lead to problems, such problems can and should be anticipated and avoided for the benefit of everyone.

I do not subscribe to, nor support, the radical type of solutions put forward by such people as the BNP but, there has to be a slow down in the rate of immigration to allow TIME for assimilation and acceptance.

Traditionally and historically Britain has accepted and welcomed (to some degree or another) people from other cultures, religions, creeds and of different skin colour. Assimilation and acceptance takes time.

I had no intention of accusing you of intolerance towards British immigrants to France (note, they are not, in the main, expatriates ) but your comments regarding TV watching and French language skills could easily be interpreted as intolerance.

Regarding the comment by RH about when immigrants are no longer regarded as immigrants, I cant answer. I certainly consider my ''brown skinned'' colleagues as English because they are. I suppose such attributes as a common 'sense of humour', experiences in common, etc etc mean a great deal. I would find it very difficult to think of them in any other way than fellow 'Brits'.

It's the end of term, and I too, like Panda, would like to report that Christmas is thriving in multi cultural East London. Not only have we had the traditional Nativity play and the carol concert, but the children have been singing at Old Folks' Homes and in the foyer of Tescos. Surely it is the Christian ethos which is important - do unto others etc. - not the actual practice and dogma. Banning nativity plays in schools is very rare and if you believe we are all being forced to modify our teaching of Great Britain's history and culture then you are wrong, we are just being asked to encompass and respect more faiths and cultures in order to give the children a fairer picture.

Colour in our school has more to do with one's sports kit.

Well said Celine. It's good to have a more balanced view.

I haven't got any strong feelings on this, not having lived in the UK for 8 years. The times that I've spent there recently have been enjoyable, and though I have seen immigrants moving into areas where they weren't before, it doesn't seem a bad thing.

For example we let out our house in Southend, and now have slovakian tenants, who look after the place well, seem to take a pride in keeping it nice. The neighbours too are immigrants now.

Those of us who live in France have only the media to give us news of what's happening the UK, and we all know how biased they are.