Perhaps we should start an insomniacs club -AnOther

Off to fill my hot water bottle and just want to wish all members of the IC happy sleeping.

Got to be up to see CPAM lady in the morning so chances of  sleeping might not be good but, hey, let's look on the bright side of life?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG, I trust the hospital sends for you soon.  Not very relaxing for you to have your appointment postponed, is it?

As you see, I am still up.  Been very cold here today but we have blown all OH's winter fuel allowance, I think.  All fires lit, paraffin heaters on, etc.

Only trouble is, we are running out of dry wood and the damp stuff needs to be "cooked" on top of the stove before it will burn!  Fortunately, not my department but it's keeping OH on his toes and he is getting chilblains on his fingers!

Off to bed now as I am reading a book on the Camino by Shirley Maclaine, lent to me by Gemonimo.  Gee, some of the things she says in the book are a bit weird to say the least.  But there is also some nitty-gritty stuff such as blisters on the feet and treatment of, help![blink]

Been a strange sort of a day, you know, one of those when you start off meaning to accomplish lots and nothing gets done in the end.

Was ages trying to get hold of M & S on the phone as they would use Chronopost to send their parcels and those useless b u g g e r s don't even bother to attempt to deliver if your house doesn't have a number and a street name.

Drives me mad when they send a letter saying they have insufficient info to deliver your parcel and you are then left with ringing their 0825 (paying) number.  I got fed up of ringing them and getting recorded messages so I sent them a fax courtesy of the mairie's fax machine.

Result?  No phone call, no acknowledgement, no parcel.  I mean to write a letter of complaint to M & S about Chronopost and tell them how their customers are not best served with this useless organisation and that it would certainly put me off ordering any more stuff on line if I have all this hassle and delay with getting my goods!

Damn, damn, damn..........there, that's my rant for this morning and, having got all of that off my chest, I might even get some sleep tonight!

Sweet, you remind me of why we don't have a wood fire or stove; lovely and cosy, and great to cook in/on, but can be greedy feeders in bad weather! We often seemed to run out of totally dry wood when we had one years ago, much as you mentioned. However, with all the talk of maybe running out of gas in UK if this cold spell continues, I might be wishing we had one! I have poor circulation, and just love central heating; the new boiler OH fitted last autumn is lovely and efficient; when I come downstairs in the night it soon warms up; in fact, since the cold spell before Christmas it's been running all the time, just turned down low overnight - bliss! We only have electric fires in France, which was adequate last winter when it snowed, just not toasty; the miser in me hated turning the dials up too far, although in fact our electric bills weren't too bad. [:)]

We seem to have more snow than I thought; I'll take my trusty measurer out later. It all looks lovely with the sun out and some blue sky. A fox came up our drive right to the house; the prints are really deep. I took our rubbish out for collection when I saw most of the neighburs had theirs out; wish I'd stuck to my decision not to put any out - I was sure there wouldn't be a collection this week. But our neighbours are usually right about recycling collections! I put wellies and clothes on at 07.30 and stepped out into bitter cold ( -14!) and deep snow, following the fox trail. Poor thing must have found it hard - I certainly did! Anyway, I've since looked on the council website .... no collection due to bad weather! [:(]

Sounds very irritating about your parcels Sweet; I expect M&S would like to know it's not plain sailing on deliveries. I had an Amazon parcel of books on Tuesday, so spent most of yesterday curled up reading cosily. OH was asleep in bed all day with his cold, temp and cough; very unusual for him to stay in bed, so must have felt ill; just over a year since he woke up with flu in France; he missed the snow we had then. One of the boks is an old copy of a book I'd been wanting, and was a bargain - off the beaten track in France, by several contributors. It was lovely reading about areas I know, like the Drome and Isere; and lovely to 'explore' areas I only know a little. Even places I know well had a lot I didn't know about. To be continued today; must use it as a reward, though - get a few chores done first - like bringing the rubbish back in! [:D]

I slept reasonably well last night; hope everyone else did [:D]

Looks an interesting site, Russethouse. WDC say on their site that from yesterday rubbish will be collected next week. We didn't put recycling out for the last collection, so I think we're going to have a bit of a back-log; we'd usually go to the tip, but the cars are definitely not going out for a while. I walked up to the little M&S near us for some shopping, and saw lots of people digging cars out and several cars stuck, wheels spinning! The snow measured 10 inches, making about 25cm, with lots of deep drifts around the cars and bushes. It looks so beautiful! [:D]

Bonjour les insomniaques !

Well, it s -7 outside, I can't sleep, so, as usual, I'm catching up on TV programmes I couldn't see these past few days..

Some interesting ones..

I like the night, the house is  silent, my dogs sleep peacefully on their sofa ( yes, they got their own [blink] , so it is forbidden for them to get on the leather one ) , the woodburner's blasting, can hear an owl in the distance..

A glass of milk, back to the lounge..

Bises Ă  tous/toutes.

Good morning Frenchie and anyone else who's around.

Snap, -7 here too; no extra snow, but it looks bleak. It;s meant yo reach zero yoday! [:)] I'm due to have my H1N1 jab tomorrow, but doubt I'll be able to get there.

OH got up in the night for a change as his cough was very bad; so I've been lying cosily in bed for much longer today.

Keep warm all [:D]

Just want to say goodnight to the insomniacs.  Have had one fantatic night and one not so good.

Burnt my hand badly trying to put a log in the woodburner and the throbbing and pain prevented me from snuggling into my nice warm bed and just drift off to sleep.

Mind you, reading Shirley MacLaine's book on the Camino (Compostela) was not exactly a relaxing read.  She is off her rocker and I keep wanting to "reply" to some of the things she says in the book!  LOL....when will I learn to stop arguing?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Burnt my hand badly trying to put a log in the woodburner.

[/quote]

I have just done the same only 30 mins ago.  It's so annoying.  I only touched the stove accidentally for a couple of seconds as I was trying to shove a log in so the door would shut. I've spent 10 mins running it under a cold tap.

I'm up tonight as I have a very ill dog at my feet.  I've spent the last 4 nights on the sofa next to his bed.  He had eaten a sock that got trapped into his intestine (unbeknown to us).  The vet operated but it is touch and go.  The part of intestine taken out is close to an essential digestive valve and so it might not work.

We rescued our dog from someone on this Forum.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try to get some sleep now - the sofa isn't that long and so I have to curl up my legs.  So I might be back online again this night, especially of the burnt hand gives me grief or if our dog wakes up again.

I'm so sorry to read yhe posts from Sweet and Cathy. [:(] Burns like that hurt so much, and throb for ages. I used to burn my wrists on my oven shelves until I bought silicone protectors for the shelves from Lakeland  and also found miracle oil for burns there, which they no longer stock. Hope the burns will heal quickly. And your dog spunds so poorly, Cathy; thinking of you both.

I've been having poor nights, but as OH has moved into another bedroom because of his heavy cold and cough, I only come down to make hot drinks and microwave my cushion, then run back to bed.

I put the radio on when I came down, and heard about the weather, so sat down to look at the forecast on accuweather. Some places in UK have had more heavy snow (ours is due later today!), and parts of S France are without power, due to heavy snow bringing electricity cables down. Poor people; hope none of our posters are affected.

I really thought I'd sleep well the last few nights; I'vewalked to the shops through snow each day, which is very tiring, then I've shovelled some of the snow off the drive each day too, besides cooking etc and looking after poorly OH. But no, only a little extra sleep! Back to bed with hottie and drink. Take care in this weather, all [:D]

Good morning you all !

Sorry to hear about the burns , that is so painful....

I'm in pain too, only slept for half hours , on and off, my back is soooo painful....

I feel sleepy now, I'll go and take some painkillers+ anti inflamatory, and see if that helps..

My son's not here with me this week end, so at least I don't have to cook.

Bises Ă  vous et  bon courage.

[kiss]

Aches and pains, must be winter, although Cathy has solved the age old problem of where the odd sock goes to [:)]

My Mums dog has just come back from the vets with a similar condition from eating three bits of plastic which stuck in the intestine.

Note to people, Buy a good glove for putting logs on fires [I]

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Burnt my hand badly trying to put a log in the woodburner.

[/quote]

I have just done the same only 30 mins ago.  It's so annoying.  I only touched the stove accidentally for a couple of seconds as I was trying to shove a log in so the door would shut. I've spent 10 mins running it under a cold tap.

I'm up tonight as I have a very ill dog at my feet.  I've spent the last 4 nights on the sofa next to his bed.  He had eaten a sock that got trapped into his intestine (unbeknown to us).  The vet operated but it is touch and go.  The part of intestine taken out is close to an essential digestive valve and so it might not work.

We rescued our dog from someone on this Forum.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try to get some sleep now - the sofa isn't that long and so I have to curl up my legs.  So I might be back online again this night, especially of the burnt hand gives me grief or if our dog wakes up again.

[/quote]

My poor Cathy, meant to respond earlier but just got waylaid and then distracted and then forgot and when I remembered I wasn't near the puter..........usual, muddly sort of a day.  Getting too many of those lately.

Anyway, that's enough about me ([:D]), how is your hand now and how is your dog?

One thing I swear by is Aloe Vera (Barbadensis) in concentrated jelly form for any sort of burn.  I, too, only brushed the poĂŞle momentarily but, bits of skin off my hand, one burn very near a surface vein but I slapped on the aloe vera, then wrapped ice-cubes round a towel and sat like that for about an hour.  Then more aloe vera and, although the burns look unsightly, there are no blisters and no infection.

You must keep a tube of the stuff in your first-aid box at all times.  Great for sunburn as well and scalds are also easily dealt with.  I also keep it in a spray version and use it for all sorts of cuts and grazes.  Never get any infection, however bad or deep the cut.

As for the poor dog, is it recovering a bit?

I hope the OH is with you at the moment and you aren't quite alone to deal with all this stuff.

Thinking of you and hoping that both you and the dog are much improved. 

[kiss]

At 23:29 I was all tucked up and fast asleep! It's not the going to sleep that's the problem, it's the waking up around 02:00 that's the problem. Luckily today I got off to sleep again, and got up about 04:00.

Hope all of you are OK; Sweet not worrying about her lovely meals she's going to cook, Frenchie's back not hurting too much, Cathy's burned hand better; and everyone else who pops up from time to time - hope you're sleeping well most nights. [:)] 

GG, it's good that you send us so many lovely thoughts.  Indeed, I am a bit worried about Cathy and, in particular, her dog.  Also hope her hand is healing as well as mine is, though one of my scabs was accidentally brushed off and it didn't half hurt.

Weather dreadful today, rain, mist, more rain, horrible.  Had to do a large shop and had to go to 2 different supermarkets to get everything I wanted.

I have stacks of clothes to wash and I hope the weather will allow me to dry them off tomorrow.  Also a pile of ironing.......that's the trouble, when the weather's been bad for days on end, you just don't get a chance to catch up, do you?

Any news of your hospital appointment, GG?

Hope all the insomniacs manage a good night tonight..........

Just had my last cup of tea and hope to get to bed at a decent time tonight.

Plenty of rain here in south of UK, Sweet; I've just looked out and see all the snow has gone from the drive, even the 2 huge piles made when digging the cars out. The pavements will take longer where they weren't cleared and became icy, but parts of the garden have emerged. I loved how dry and crisp it was for a number of days when the snow was still coming. I hate damp weather, so grey; that was one of the reasons for buying in France - the grey, damp months of November to February!

I used the tumble dryer today, as I'd changed the bed and couldn't face having sheets etc hanging around.

Hope you're all sleeping soundly - don't snore too loudly though!

Sweet, PM on its way.

Also having difficulties sleeping - been a very stressful year - as in Spring I lost both parents, with our move from the UK in between, then having to empty their house, etc. Going to sleep is OK, but I wake up around 3am and often can't go back to sleep - so might join you here from time to time. Night night.