Perhaps we should start an insomniacs club -AnOther

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you're fast asleep, Frenchie - and everyone else too. [:)]

I was sure I'd sleep really well; did a bit of shopping locally in bitter rain - got really cold. Rushed round making lunch, drove to Windsor, struggled to find parking space. After a pleasant visit, car broke down on way home! Had to call AA out, got cold and wet in sleety rain walking to nearest pub. Lots of waiting around while AA man tried to sort out car, then tried driving again, followed by my new guardian angel; just as well, as it broke down again. Was towed to garage near home; found this very scary, especially on all the bends on the country lanes! By this time, OH had arrived to drive me home. I was cold, wet and tired out; sure fire guarantee of sleeping well - No! [:(]

So I've finished reading one of my Christmas books, done loads of soduko and finally decided that Wednesday has started. Was planning to join a ramble this morning, but I think I've gone off that idea since my stroll in the dark last night!

Morning GG,

Sorry to hear about your pb last night, sounds very annoying!

When such things happen, you have the feeling everything goes wrong , the car breaks down, and it s cold, and it s raining, and you re tired .. etc.. Poor you!

I managed a couple of hours sleep, I'll try to sleep again but I doubt I will....

My little dog is sleeping in his basket next me, and my big dog 's sleeping on " his" settee downstairs, the cat's sleeping in my son's bedroom, and , as usual...    je veille!!

Til later, relax GG, have your favourite hot drink, and think positive thoughts!

[kiss]

Thanks, Frenchie - I did feel a bit sorry for myself! And not to sleep following that was too bad!!

It sounds as though you're the only one in the house who hasn't mastered the art of sleeping! Hope the rest don't snore! [:)]

I've just heard the rain hitting the window - it was dry earlier. I think that's a definite no to the ramble at 10.30! But I'll have to beg a lift to Pilates this afternoon!

I did think just now it might be an idea to go looking for a new car today. I'll need another automatic though; my little VW Polo's been great! A new car certainly wasn't in the plans, but my car is old and maybe it'll start to need expensive repairs. Maybe I can try for the car scrappage scheme, otherwise I'll just have to start paying out; don't want more breakdowns though!

Hope you've slept again, Frenchie [:)]

Good morning gardengirls, I might not be posting as much but I am following....

In the throse of building a website!! I am obsessed with it! Fascinating stuff .I can now concentrate now we have our impot bill etc . It's a small world 2 other English folk in the area and 3 French have only just received their Impot as well. I do wonder if they have been checking us all out as research shows that all our surnames start with the same letter bar one which is only one move up the alphabet! spooky or what!!!! vivid imagination , perhaps

Thanks for the translation, yes we will pay on the last day of January 2010!

Fun and a bet with someone who said that I would not be able to get my head around it.

Surprisingly, html is not as difficult to muster as I thought. All boils down to planning,more planning and digging deep on google ..its all there.

Just watching "Cowboy Builders" on the TV same rules look as though they apply in UK as well as here.

A French business women warned us on arrival only employ people that do NOT ask for money up front as they will have a good credit with all commercial services if they have a good reputation. We stuck to that rule and only employed French when we could not do the job ourselves. MBK

GG, special message of commiseration.  Not a nice experience.  Excuse me for not coming on before.  Didn't sleep a wink last night as I was thinking about the lunch I was giving today.

In the end, had to set the alarm clock and I was only "saved" because one of the guests rang to say they would be at least an hour late.  Whew!!!

But, I did do my cheese scones today and they were light and fluffy.  I made them whilst the guests were eating their fruit salad.  They were Brits so it was fine to serve dessert before cheese.

Will do them again as they didn't take any time.  Trick was to get all the ingredients weighed, cheese grated, etc and sitting around ready to roll out and bung in a hot oven.  Piece of cake...........er piece of scone, really.

GG, I would advise a new car after my own experience.  I was badly advised on it and it's cost me many, many hundreds of euros/pounds more than the value of my car.

On the plus side, I hope to be able to drive to Gemonimo's in it for  the second.  I'll let you all know what her magret of duck tastes like (that is, if she lets me have any).  I was very rude to her once about how she uses an old nappy to make her confit of duck or whatever it was.  Therefore, she might get her own back by serving me nothing but ready meals!  LOL!

I can talk like this about Jen because she knows I love her really...........

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, Frenchie, but you also get to bring in the logs, get in the pommes de pin, buy the firelighters, buy the liquide concentré for starting fires, clean the glass of the poêle.  Sure, no probs, Frenchie! N'est ce pas, Jen?

[/quote]

Absolument..! And when the fire is laid, all you have to do is rub two boy scouts together to get a flame (well, that's what Brown Owl told me, anyway)

Not kidding I m an expert at starting a fire !!  lol

When I lived at the castle I had a fireplace in each room including the kitchen!!

Now, my woodburner is enough.. [:)]

No liquid, no pommes de pin, just " petit bois", and newspaper...

AS for the spark, I ll try your method  [:D]

That was wishful thinking Mr Théière!

Not at all !!

I slept on the sofa, so I could add a log each time I woke up, that is to say every 2 hours....

Anyway, it's a new year, and I wish you all a very happy new year, lots of good nights' sleeps, lovely dreams, snoring and all the rest!! [:D]

Quite, Frenchie, some of us were uppish and aboutish!

I'm starting to take down the Christmas decorations later today; I usually do it on Twelfth Night, but I'll be too busy then. I made a start yesterday by changing my Christmas tree avatar for a cheerful sunflower and some bright blue sky. It made me think spring might not be far away! [:)]

Happy 2010 to all the regulars and anyone else around [:D]

Where have all the insomniacs gone?

Just cos I went to stay with Gemonimo and didn't wake up till 10 am today, you're all now trying to beat my record of sleeping 8 and a half hours aren't you?

Well, if no one's about, I shall go to bed too.  Don't know if I'll sleep after my exciting day and my few glasses of wind, but guess I'll have a go at that self-hypnosis that I learned years ago.

Why hypnosis?  It's come back into fashion, I hear.  Apparently Lilly Allen (whoever she is) went from a size 14 to a size 10 after hypnosis.

Apparently hypnosis can reprogramme your brain and you can do things you wouldn't have thought possible.

Anyone tried hypnosis to cure their insomnia?

Don't bother with hypnosis sweets, borrow (don't for gods sake buy it) Frankie Boyle's book My S***e Life So Far, it has the same effect.  He makes me laugh on Mock the Week but his book (imo) mirrors the second word in the title and will have you asleep in no time.

Well, Sweet, having an exciting day and glasses of wind are obviously no use to us to try for a good night's sleep! I could do without glasses of wind anyway - I cooked a big bean stew for supper, so quite enough wind, thanks! [:D]

I think I'd find hypnosis difficult; having to give up control to someone you don't know; but I'd also be interested in hearing about it if anyone has tried it.

I had a better night last night; woke up a lot, but only got up about 04.00 to make drinks; OH has a nasty cough and cold, so I then sat up reading in bed - very snug [:)]

I think I'll walk to the shops today, wearing walking boots etc; no snow, but a very heavy frost over the past few days, and paths and roads are very slippery - so I'll stay on grass where I can. Classes here in our part of Berkshire began again this morning and it was interesting seeing the modes of transport and outfits passing by! We are forecast to have snow later today, 5 to 8cm; although possibly up to 30cm over the next few days!! Somehow I don't think I'll be able to have my hospital appointment tomorrow if it does snow, as staff didn't get in when we had the last lot.[:(]

GG writes:

Well, Sweet, having an exciting day and glasses of wind are obviously no use to us to try for a good night's sleep! I could do without glasses of wind anyway - I cooked a big bean stew for supper, so quite enough wind, thanks!

LOL, GG, see what the wine, er wind does for me.............can't be repeated, can it?

I'm sorry about your hospital appointment, GG.  But go hassle them and don't let them make you wait one day longer than necessary.

It's brass monkeys' weather here today.  Had an extra long walk with dog and now I have promised myself  I'll print out all the stuff that's in the printing queue.  But, this is the most frustrating job in the world, either the printer doesn't like the paper or it's throwing a hissy fit or it's now got a mind of its own and just wants to print stuff it feels like and it refuses to be controlled by the Control Panel ....gggrrr.

On the plus side, OH had both wood poêles on the go, both petrole poêles on the go and, if I could just find a spare socket, I'd have the electric heater on the go as well!

I have this printing queue because the printer is up in the large freezer we call the spare room and I've had to bring the laptop up here to do the printing.

Slept pretty damn well last night so I feel full of optimism and general goodwill towards everybody today!