Perhaps we should start an insomniacs club -AnOther

[quote user="sweet 17"]

As Bue says, it's a lot to do with your state of mind.  However, my mind isn't at all biddable and it goes where it will, often wandering for hours on end.  Losing it?  Yeah, I dare say.

[/quote]

Sometimes state of mind is irrelevant.  If you live with chronic pain - then no matter what your state of mind, sleep can be very elusive.  For me it's the choice between taking the cocktail of meds that will allow me to sleep but accepting that the next day I will feel like I'm walking through treacle. Or go without sleep and deal with the effects of exhaustion.  Sometime the latter is the lessor of the two evils.  More so as you get used to living with very little sleep.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought of you today GG. Apparently this is just a snap and it will warm up by a degree or two quickly later in the week.

Excitement weather wise north of the river - we had a twister, which demolished a substantial wall, toppled someones chimney through their roof, snapped fence posts, and removed slates from roofs too

Thanks for all the messages. Glad to hear the weather will improve, Russethouse; guess that could mean rain. And fancy missing a twister!

Not a good night, despite the journey and the cognac. We were later arriving home than planned, the heating had switched off and the house was chilly; partly the reason for the cognac, if a reason was needed, and took a hottie to bed as well as OH. I woke very early, but it was so cold and frosty I went straight back to bed! It looks beautiful out there, but I'm not looking forward to scraping the ice off the car to do the shopping!

Sorry,GG but ZZZZzzzzzzz when u wrote. Do hope you are well settled again in your nest. Have u written all your Christmas cards yet? I feel a bit mean but we are cutting down again on cards/ stamps , just too costly. We will email lots out and where we can we will put a few in one envelope to be given out by our friends in UK to our mutual friends. MBK

Hi MBK, glad you're getting some sleep. I wrote a bunch of Christmas cards in France last week, and plan to get all the rest done today. I'm going to shut myself away in the living room, as OH is taking the skirting board and bathroom floorboards up today; I'm staying well out of the way and hope to keep the noise out too. He's putting a new floor down tomorrow with the help of our son if it stays dry - it's got to be cut outdoors, as there's no available space indoors.

We did cut down a bit on cards last year, and even saved money by delivering some Christmas presents while in France this trip; we called in at friends for Sunday lunch, and played postie at the same time. 

Have you got Christmas planned? Ours will be very quiet this year; we have a family lunch out on 20th, our Wedding Anniversary meal out on 23rd, and lunch out on Christmas Day. I'm hoping to get a couple of short walks inbetween, or I won't have any clothes I can get into. With so much sitting around recently I've put on weight - lots more nibbles than usual and not much exercise.

For all those sleepless souls out there have you tried the tips on www.speedsleep.com it claims to be able to train your brain to settle into deep REM sleep in half an hour, can't comment on how effective it is as, my wife tells me I am usually asleep within 30 seconds of getting into bed, an exageration I think but you get the picture

Chris

Haven't tried that one Chris, but have tried others which claim similar results, thanks.

There's a very heavy frost here in  UK, even heavier than on Tuesday, I'd guess, patio temp is reading 1.9c. OH is meant to be cutting big sheets of marine ply outside at 8.00 this morning, the only time our son can come and help carry them - very heavy stuff.  I don't envy them that job. Kettle's on.

Sounds a good idea (just had a peak at the site), but then for me personally if I slept like a log every night I would lose those extra hrs I have exploring whats out there on the internet and learning how to create websites from scratch ,and etc, etc,etc. In the day time its more "us" doing things but if its raining or late at night its "me" "me" time!!!

There are some fab free edit picture progs out there.. at last I can put an embedded decent watermark copyright sign across my pictures on the internet..for free.Another niggle solved .MBK

[quote user="gardengirl "]Had a drink yet?[/quote]

Yes, thanks, feel a bit more human now.

Been busy trying to organise my email inbox; I can tell Xmas is approaching fast as the number of 'buy now, from us' emails are increasing at a rate of knots. Sounds a little chilly in the UK, GG. Our daughter in Cheshire says it's very cold and miserable there. I used to feel quite down in the UK at this time of year; purely due to the lack of daylight hours and the grey skies.

Hope all goes well with the wood cutting, fingers crossed.

I think you fellas operate at a different time of insomnia than me! Just looked at the clock, it's earlier than I thought, after all. However, I did give in and must have fallen asleep before 10.00, so I had about 3 hours. maybe more to come. Tea anyone?

That was at 1.24. It's now 5.00; after tea etc I've had another hour or so, which isn't too bad a night! Kettle's on again - anyone for tea?

Bonsoir!!

I know it's no time for insomnia but now is the only time I can have access to the internet ( from a friend's)..

Blimey, I miss you all at night..

Could we try and send pigeons with messages to talk at night ?? [:)]

Bisous to you all, don't forget me.....  [:(]

As if we could forget you, Frenchie!

For goodness sake, you're French aren't you, speak the lingo, don't you, why don't you go put the fear of God into the telephone and internet bods?

LOL, the times I wished I knew enough "persuasive" French terms with which to bombard the people at FT, Credit Agricole, the garagiste, the Trésorerie, the artisan, the electricien, etc. etc.

If I ever left France to live elsewhere, it will be because I will have been utterly defeated by the average French provider of services.

Return soon, Frenchie, and tell us all about your new house and your new life:  you could always call it the Frenchie Saga, can't you?  After all, you are the expert without a doubt at starting threads that go on and on and on and on and on (well, you know what I mean?) [:D]

Sweet 17, how good to read a message from you..

YES I speak the lingo, but they don't listen!! [6]

If my threads go on and on, maybe that's because I'm a talkative person, who likes sharing ideas [:$]

Would like to carry on now, but junior's with me saying " oh maman!!! je veux rentrer à la maison!!!"

So here we go, alla casa, back home, retour à la maison....

Soon back

A big [kiss] to you all.