Perhaps we should start an insomniacs club -AnOther

[quote user="Richard"]Try CTRL Z Cluzo. The undo feature is a wonderful feature on a computer. Wish it would exist in real life. Such a shame, perhaps now I will never know any of the uses of acorns.[/quote]

Aren't acorns for growing into oak trees?[8-)]

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a funny thing but I cant remember noticing what the Oak trees looked like - must be little scabby things to have such tiny acorns -Im used to the glorious majestic spreading -Heart of Oak etc variety found in the UK .  As there is usually a reason and purpose to most things in nature perhaps it will turn out to be a cure for some dread disease or perhaps a sheep dip.  When I got back to bed around 5 I started thinking that thers npot mach use for conkers either!!!

Richard thanks for your reminder about control Z - I cant believe I never thought of it - Hes  always walking over the keyboard and causing awful things to happen . I play Free(something) a lot and use control z all the time ---it is so much better than the back arrow , Its amazing what you learn when you talk abou acorns - maybe thats what they are good for .

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Counting balls doesn't seem to work, I'll

try acorns next. Counting sheep never works for me, they don't keep

still long enough - maybe they're after the acorns!

Why acorns? maybe that's next on the list after we've solved the

'why am I here?' question. Didn't they make coffee out of acorns in the

war?

[/quote]

Counting sheep never worked for me either. After 20, it got too noisy!

According to Bladrick of Blackadder fame, they made coffee out of mud, with dandruff being

substituted for sugar and saliva for milk! Of course, I won't mention

what he used to substitute the little chocolate bits with in a cappucino....

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Richard"]Try CTRL Z Cluzo. The undo feature is a wonderful feature on a computer. Wish it would exist in real life. Such a shame, perhaps now I will never know any of the uses of acorns.[/quote]

Aren't acorns for growing into oak trees?[8-)]

[/quote]

No, don't be ridiculous. Who told you that? Everyone knows you get oak trees from Tescos. [;-)]

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="buelligan"]Worry not Sweet!  I have long been reconciled to my ball-less state... and who knows... with the passage of time, I may get some...[blink][:D][/quote]

Well please keep your hands off mine [:-))] [:D]

[/quote]

Now, now, be nice.  Take turns to play with the balls, please!

[quote user="Richard"]

No, don't be ridiculous. Who told you that? Everyone knows you get oak trees from Tescos. [;-)]
[/quote]

Haven't you noticed they're on promo at Super U so, even with the lousey exchange rate, you're better off getting them there!

We just buy one Euro lottery ticket a week and think....... what if...? First time for a while I didn't drink coffee at about 8pm because our French neighbour wagged her finger banged her heart to try I think to explain it was making me hyper before trying to sleep and guess what.. I slept like a log with not having the coffee.. perhaps.

Do check out the new Google translate bit ,, amazing its had a big revamp this last week..it even speaks to you and they hope to extend the speaking bit to incorporate more languages and it translates all French Government sites excellent ...

Sounds a very good night, MBKid. I rarely have coffee after supper, so can't cut it out! I did have nearly 5 hours last night; all the excitement of wandering round Aix and the Christmas market for most of yesterday, plus an evening spent trying to organise clothes etc did the trick. It's so good to feel rested twice in one week.

I'll add rejigged google translate to favourites for times of need, thanks.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="buelligan"]Worry not Sweet!  I have long been reconciled to my ball-less state... and who knows... with the passage of time, I may get some...[blink][:D][/quote]

Well please keep your hands off mine [:-))] [:D]

[/quote]

Now, now, be nice.  Take turns to play with the balls, please!

[/quote]

Oooooohhhhhhhh cold hands this morning [blink][:$]

I've got no sympathy selfish Teapot, mine are lovely and toasty! [:D]  The sun is shining here (again), it's warm - haven't bothered to light the poele (again) and I have no other heating.  Everything is looking pretty great!  Think I'll get the washing out and then indulge in a spot of weeding in the veggie garden .[:D]

[quote user="gardengirl "]

I did have nearly 5 hours last night[/quote]

Bravo, GG!  At this rate you will be sleeping comme un loir [:)]

I can't complain either:  went out with the randos, went to bed really late and then out like a light.  Must have been all that fresh air, being soaked by the rain, being splattered with mud.......

So now you know a cure for insomnia, right?[:P] 

How many Ks are you doing with the randos, Sweet? I walk 12K to visit a friend, have lunch and then she drives me home!! Perhaps if I find the courage to walk the return 12K I'll be sleeping well, too. In the meantime, its the World Service which keeps me entertained during the night.

Hi, Jen, no need to be so paranoid, really![;-)]

Certainly I don't think it was more than 10 or 11k. 

Going in a minute to our réunion and to look at photos people have taken on the walks.

I'm taking a giant plate of sandwiches and a large cake.  Don't know what we're going to be drinking but, if everyone else also brings carbohydrate rich foods, I'm bound to either sleep like a top or be spinning in my bed all night..........hah, thought you'd like that.

Take care and keep practising!

[quote user="gardengirl "]I'm pleased to say I missed that tea call - I was fast asleep! 3 nights of more than 3 hours in a week is definitely a record! [:)][/quote]

That is such good news GG. At the moment I seem to be able to sleep for 4 hours at a stretch, which is a huge improvement. Though I woke up at 3 am this morning as I was far too warm! Such very odd weather.

Bonjour, fellow insomniacs!  You're all doing so well that we might not be carrying on with the Club!

GG, have a safe journey home tomorrow and look after yourself so that you can carry on sleeping well.  By all means, carrying on eating pastry and desserts:  you'd just get fat and I'd be able to gain the moral high ground! 

Mind you, I ate more last night than I would normally eat in 3 days.  After my rénion, where I stuffed myself with pancakes, gateaux, biscuits, chocolatey titbits, I had to walk down to the gym where the OH was playing a ping-pong match against a team from another town.

Alas, my own car is still in dock and it was the only way to get myself home at that time of night.  His team had lost, but do you think they minded?  Not a bit of it, they'd laid on a 4 course meal for themselves and the visiting team and, of course, I was invited to join them.

Eating till 2 am was not inducive to a good night's sleep regrettably, but just this once I was happy to pay the price.  To have 6 men paying me attention and making me feel like a goddess wasn't all bad.  No wonder it all got to my head a bit.

I couldn't get to sleep with all that food and wine swirling about inside me and all those thoughts of my own gorgeousness swirling about inside my head![6]

Back to 3 hours sleep; kettle's on. Maybe somebody with wind problems will be on here later  [;-)]

I didn't pig out on the carbs yesterday as I had the previous day, but I did think a day spent wandering around the Christmas market at Avignon followed by lots of trips up and down 3 flights od stairs to pack the car for today's trip back to UK would have helped!  - didn't use the lift in an effort to get rid of the weight added the previous evening - can't have Sweet standing alone on the moral high ground - it might get lonely! [:P]

At least I had a lovely lunch in Avignon, and crossed a few names off the Christmas present list; there were some lovely crafts amongst the 'rubbish' and food. I added to our collection of santons, and left good taste firmly behind and bought a battery-operated Santa climbing a string to hang in our UK front window! I think he's very sweet  [:)]

GG said; [quote]Back to 3 hours sleep; kettle's on. Maybe somebody with wind problems will be on here later[/quote]

No problems with wind here (though some might say - hot air![:D]) the weather is really lovely at the moment, just a soft breeze and really not chilly (although it's still dark).

Sorry to read of your return to sleeplessness.  I had probs with insomnia for too long.  Tried cutting out caffeine, paracetamol before bed, numerous herbal thingys... all to no avail.  In the end, I found that "state of mind" had a huge amount to do with it.  I was just thinking, worrying too much.  Now, if I find my mind wandering off towards stressful subjects late at night, I just turn its nose gently but firmly back towards gentle calm thoughts.  For the last month or so I have been sleeping 6 ior 7 hours a night unbroken!!!  I'm sure you've already been there, tried it etc.  But, if not, hopefully it might help.[:)] 

As you say, buelligan, I've tried pretty much everything. Yes, state of mind is a biggie, but sometimes you can't change the direction it's headed.

We've a son who only had an hour or so a day's sleep from birth; he's slept a little more as the years have gone by, but even now as an adult he prowls his house, does his emails, reads etc. It seems to suit him most of the time, but I've always needed (but not always got; who would with a nearly sleepless baby/toddler!) a good 8 hours. I suppose as I don't feel sleepy all the time it can't be so bad. [:)]

Hello all, hope you have a good trip home GG.

How spooky is that, our daughter from day of arrival needed very little sleep ( hence only one sprog!!) its in the jeans ,err no its in the genes!!! (thanks spell check!).

I think a lot of us are in for a windy day looking at the forcast , and not food related- guts!!- what about the figure... is it good sweet17?

My poor GG, of course you can't expect to sleep much on the night before departure and the thought of that long drive to the tunnel to look forward to.

Certainly, I can never sleep if I have anywhere special to go.

As Bue says, it's a lot to do with your state of mind.  However, my mind isn't at all biddable and it goes where it will, often wandering for hours on end.  Losing it?  Yeah, I dare say.

BTW, I learned, years ago, to do some self-hypnosis and that used to work for a bit.  Now, I don't think I can do it anymore through lack of practice.

Hey, Kid, keep off them Milky Bars:  they deffo are terrible for the figure and for the complexion [:(]