Perhaps we should start an insomniacs club -AnOther

How about a couple of suitcases by the door with a few clothes in so should they call on speck you say look our cases are packed we are off in 10 mins, if they say they will stay and look after house use the "insurance trick" = "insurers dont allow people to stay unless we are are here, special French policy!!" Sorted!!!!!

yes, mumps, especially if they have a lappy and you can send a pic, that is depending if you have a programme where you can stretch or shrink by dragging a point on the body = the mumps glands. Send me a couple of pics and I will do it for you. Having racked brain I might sleep well tonight.!!

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh  too tired and stressed to think straight this evening.

Just know they will want to come back as she is back here for double cataract extraction (despite the fact they have gone back to live in the UK, they seem to have been able to keep their cartes vitales).

The op isn't until the middle of November so, where can you go with a campervan where you can have cups of tea on demand, wash your clothes, have hot baths, watch English soap all evening?

Not only that, the nights are getting dark and cold and Sweet's house is just down the road?

I wish! But glad if everyone else did. My computer was unwell at 3.00, and has just now made a recovery.

The house-warming party sounds a great idea; no coffee, no tea, no hot milk or chocolate; that leaves almost just alcohol .... just right. Our first insomniacs' party!

Now, MBkid, were you really expecting your impots bill on a Sunday? Get real, there's been a postal strike in UK, so it's bound to be a couple of days yet! [;-)]

GG

Er.........excuse moi, GG, why would a postal strike in the UK stop Kid getting her impot bill?

See what lack of sleep does to people, stop them thinking straight......

I took a large soluble Paracetamol, my usual antihistamine pill and still tossed and turned most of the night with some bouts of reading and seething in between!

Had a bad period with asthma last night and again this morning.  I know it's just the stress as I haven't had an attack as such for months; at least not since end of June when I had Swine Flu.

Got up early though and went out mushrooming with the dog.  Being earlier than usual, I managed to gather a large bag as everybody else must have still been asleep![:D]

No sign yet of the dreaded visitors turning up though OH had a text.  It'll be the usual excuse:  you must have known we were coming because we sent John a text!

Doesn't make me feel at all good............[:'(] 

"No sign yet of the dreaded visitors turning up though OH had a

text.  It'll be the usual excuse:  you must have known we were coming

because we sent John a text
!"

Sweets, you need to get your OH to agree and have a plan of action for if or when they reappear.

Could you say that as a "one off visit" the first time was O.K. but explain that you cannot provide for long term camping in your garden and home. It's your home and perhaps you could mention the saying  fish and visitors should be kept for three days only and that is all that you and your OH can cope with.

Bon courage

Dear Cendrillon, I knew you would understand.  The husband is just so uncouth I felt my whole house was defiled and violated and I cleaned and scrubbed everything out as though my life depended on it..........

How silly I sound, even to myself, but.............there it is.

Didn't go out with the randonneurs today as I am too tired through lack of sleep!  Nevermind, have reduced the mushrooms to a nice thick paste and now wondering what delicious dish I could make with the paste!

Any suggestions???????

Hope you had a better night, Sweet, despite the thought of your imminent visitors. Hope you enjoy your day out house visiting. Maybe if you make it a  l - o - n - g day they might turn up, get fed up waiting and go away. Well, you can always wish, can't you?

Anyone up and ready for a drink; the kettle's on.

GG

Nah, NOT a better night, GG.  Up several times, light on, read a bit, light off, tossed and turned, light on, read a bit, light off, and so on.

But I guess everyone on here is perfectly familiar with that routine so no probs and no complaints.

OH drove us miles and miles and saw the most beautiful location any house could wish for but, not suitable on account of being too isolated, and you'd have to make sure the local emergency services have your house specially logged on their sat nav system if they were ever to be able to find you in an emergency.

Poor owner is an elderly widow and I have to take my hat off to her as she's stayed there on her own for over 2 years.  It's even a cul de sac ... with only a farm way down the lane.........

Anyway, did a smart thing:  padlocked the gate, left the shutters shut, giving the impression we were away and might be for some time!  Last thing I wanted was to return home this evening to find them parked on the drive!!![+o(]

Sweet, if you could face it, hibernate like that for a few days until they've been and gone! Maybe lay in stocks of food and wine, make Christmas cakes, mincemeat, catch up on the spring cleaning (I'm always running late in that department!), watch all the videos you've always meant to watch, catch up on sleep.

GG

Sorry that I missed you gardengirl- I had to take a serious sleeping pill cos I was off today to the treasury again (last time we thought all was OK on their computer but another person looked and said yes all was well we were on the system but not for 2008!!- so much for us thinking we had understood) and then to the income tax office with hubby and dictionary!!- so stressed, if only we could speak French .It's so **** frustrating we have always owned up to everything and recently I have come across a number of people living in this area I will use the term "fraudulently" ducking and diving not registered for tax, not declaring unearned income so many deliberate attempts!!! I suppose I am just feeling sorry for us, getting in a pickle. Well, you all might laugh at this but off to tax office we went with a note explaining in French (kindly written by a French friend who speaks some English) that we simply had received nothing after filling declaration and delivering it by hand. Took a copy of all papers that had been declared. sat in office explained all (I actually felt faint !! wimp)he disappeared for a while and returned with a big grin and just enough English to say not to worry it looks lost, he took a copy of all papers and said we will get returns back in January with the Social charges also. I so desperately was trying to find the words to ask will we get a fine, but could not see it in the dictionary, ended up by using words totally inappropriate , when we left it came to me the word I should have used was penalty!!

Chatted with a French estate agent friend she was convinced there would be no penalty as my situation was not unusual , she said the problem would be if we had not gone to tax office because the lack of declaration would mean it would not generate another for next year and so on.Some people she said do not tell them and when an incident occurs or a sale it all catches up with you plus penalty.!!

We asked the man to write his name at the tax office is there anything else we should do as the fault is with them . He did advise and wrote on a paper -:

"declaration d'impot sur le revenue en recommande avec aceuse reception" difficult to read, could some one tell me just what he's wrote please.

What a stress, I feel proper poorly!! I am ready for the kettle on now gardengirl!!!

Kid, you're just like us.  We had mega problems, not with our income tax, but with the Taxe Foncière and Taxe d'Habitation.  Our house, together with the neighbour's, used to belong to one proprietaire and now we are 2 owners.

Nothing but problems for 3 years and now, I believe we are sorted.  Phew!!!

Well done, you!

As for the rest, I slept like a log last night, after our long drive to the Dordogne and it was all just catching up with me.

Now, the campers want to return but OH told them we were out today.  So, some sort of reprieve

As to what you said about people ducking and diving, these folk have come back to have cataract removals, using their cartes vitales, despite having returned to the UK.

I advised them to have the op done in the UK, particularly as they speak no French but, no, they have decided otherwise.

So, I have hardened my heart and they can now reap the consequences of their own decision.  Apart from all that, they have no mutuelle and the clinic they have chosen is not "conventionée" so I guess they will have asked for it if they get charged mega bucks.

I just wish I didn't feel so mean about not having them here but, for once, I have to watch my own sanity which is definitely on the line!

Hi MBK, oh dear, so you won't be sorted until 2010, but at least you've been in and had copies taken so don't go having more sleepless nights over it all! It would seem he's given you a signed receipt; the phrase you've written (recommande avec accuse de reception) is what you ask for when you want to send something by registered/recorded post - to be signed for.

I do speak French, mostlty all is fine, but haven't had any problems with tax etc to deal with. The main problems we had were with the company that built our apartment block - technical discussions of all the problems with men with the local accent and rapid-fire speed was very tricky.

Anyway, well done for going to get it sorted. Hope you sleep OK tonight,

GG

Frenchie , cooie........ are u there? How is it all going ? I had a peak at your house in the other post it looks lovely. Are you happy? Are you sleeping? I was wondering if we could all volunteer a guest list of suitable names for your house warming party "your insomniacs guest list"!!! A rubbish starter perhaps Mr & Mrs Will U Sleep and their son ...??? come on gardengirl,sweet17 or anyone can you think of a funny?????

Feeling hyper!!!!!!!! Can't even contemplate going to bed. Off trying to find a game of golf or something on tinternet -- errr not that I own any Golf Clubs-

We have a Phillips Tv game game - ancient- you can play volleyball with yourself but sad the moths I think have got in it - it switches on but reads gobbildy gook on the telly. Oh my gowd the spell check has just gone mental with that!!

Just had a brainwave - is there a game of snap or something I could play live with someone on the tinternet!!!!! on this forum