Copyright and simple good behaviour.

chris pp

From time to time I find photos and huge chunks of text, (sometimes an entire page) copied onto someone else's web site, forum or blog without having had the common decency to either ask first or give a credit and a back link to our original page / website, never mind the fact that copyright is by default.

As a not for profit Association we find this tiresome to say the least.

Whether or not any readers of this forum are guilty of this type of behaviour I neither know nor care, but if that should be the case or if as a visitor to this forum you read this, please consider first the implications of such behaviour.

Thanks, Chris

I'm not sure that any web site or material on it is de facto copyright but I don't want to get into an argument about it.

If your concern is for the material on your site then I think your usage message needs to be less wooly and more specific:

About photos used on this site. In

addition to the photos taken by myself there are a large number of

other people that have contributed their photos for use. Please feel

free to save them to your personel computer for your own use, if you

wish to use them for other purposes please contact us, generally if the purpose is educational or non profit making, permission will be granted. Thank you for your consideration.

I think telling people that if they ask permission will be given it is just an encouragement not to bother asking.

With the ease of finding pictures via the likes of Google Images all people see are the results of their search which contain nothing about images being copyright so perhaps you need to think about embedding a copyright symbol into each and every one, or possibly watermark them.

[quote user="chris pp"]

Whether or not any readers of this forum are guilty of this type of behaviour I neither know nor care,[/quote]

Then surely the question must be asked, why bother posting such a 'blanket' statement.

If you feel aggrieved surely it would be better to contact those that have actually copied your material.

Needless to say I do contact offenders wherever they are in the world and there are procedures that can be used if they don't remove the offending photos or text, but I can't for the life of me see why that should prevent me from creating a post on the subject, but thanks for your useful input on the subject.

Chris

Chrispp post says-

From time to time I find photos and huge chunks of text, (sometimes an entire page) copied onto someone else's web site, forum or blog without having had the common decency to either ask first or give a credit and a back link to our original page / website, never mind the fact that copyright is by default.

As a not for profit Association we find this tiresome to say the least.

Whether or not any readers of this forum are guilty of this type of behaviour I neither know nor care, but if that should be the case or if as a visitor to this forum you read this, please consider first the implications of such behaviour.

Thanks, Chris

I have copied only part of an article to be used as news related therefore it appears no breach of copyright has taken place.

To make the point that I hope Chrispp has a very deep pocket-Quote

Should a copyright infringement take place, registered and non-registered copyrights have different levels of legal protection. A non-registered copyright owner can only claim actual damages due to the infringement, once the creator proves he/she is the original creator of the work, while a registered copyright owner can sue for both actual damages and additional statutory damages for the copyright infringement.

Proving ownership and creation date of a work is easier to achieve when the copyright is registered. Should you claim a copyright on a work, and someone comes along and says they were the original creator of the work, if your copyright is registered, the burden of proof of ownership in court falls to the one making the claim against your copyright. Should you claim a copyright on a work and it is not registered, the burden of proof of copyright ownership will usually fall to you.End Quote.

Chris , can you really put hand on heart and say beyond doubt all thats on your own site is original work? MKB

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]Should a copyright infringement take place, registered and non-registered copyrights have different levels of legal protection. A non-registered copyright owner can only claim actual damages due to the infringement, once the creator proves he/she is the original creator of the work, while a registered copyright owner can sue for both actual damages and additional statutory damages for the copyright infringement. Proving ownership and creation date of a work is easier to achieve when the copyright is registered. Should you claim a copyright on a work, and someone comes along and says they were the original creator of the work, if your copyright is registered, the burden of proof of ownership in court falls to the one making the claim against your copyright. Should you claim a copyright on a work and it is not registered, the burden of proof of copyright ownership will usually fall to you.[/quote]

Can you provide any information about which legal jurisdiction(s) your comments about registered copyright relate to. I admit that my knowledge of copyright law is no longer up to date, but I am aware of no EU or UK facilty for registering a copyright work.

In my days as a professional photographer all copyright was automatic and no registration was called for in Europe-- the situation was different in the US, for example.

[quote user="chris pp"]

, but thanks for your useful input on the subject.

Chris

[/quote]

No problem.[Www]

One thing that is confusing to me, as a non-copyright expert.

I've just had a look at your new forum and must say what an excellent idea, well presented and bound to be a great success.

It does, however,  contain avatars of the new regional designs that must surely have been 'borrowed' from the web.

Surely this is no different to your original complaint or am I simply missing something?

This is something that really hacks me off, when people steal your work whether it's online or in print and don't even do you the courtesy of acknowledging their source.

One very large religious organisation that operates in my field of expertise is notorious for it and they totally disregard the copyright laws, so much so that at least one research organisation in the Uk has taken out an injunction against them preventing them from stealing - because that's what it is - other people's work because that's the easiest way to stop this sort of thing.  Proving copyright infringement is actually quite easy and the Berne Convention makes things pretty clear for printed works.

The printed stuff is much easier to monitor but the internet is, from what I've been told by my lawyer, much harder to police tho by and large, the same rules apply and there have, so I'm told, been succesful prosecutions against people who take other people's work.  You can even get computer programs that will search for text if they think it's plagiarised, the sort of things that examiners use to see if people have stolen text for exams or projects.

Sorry, but I dont understand the comment regarding your link, Albert

Are you saying this is a scam?

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/about/

Oop's hello Sunday Driver . Happy New Year.

I think I am being a bit slow here!. I think I follow but I dont see that it contradicts what I had copied from the internet in my previous post!!

OK, read it , last question.

What wording if any should be taggerd on a picture to put off someone copying ?.

Oop's just answered it here very interesting.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p03_copyright_notices

Clearly any rules and regs that are in place for what Chris was referring to simply does not work-hence why people continue to copy other peoples work.

We are not talking big time copyright here just the man in the street.. hope Chris does not mind that description!

Any comments I make are based on English (dunno about Scottish) practice & law. It looks like nothing significant has changed since my photographer days, so you don't have to apply any sort of copyright mark or label. Consequently any statement you do want to include on a Web site or other publication just needs to get the message across that you own the copyright and that any use elsewhere must only be with your specific approval. The wording is up to you -- there is no 'official' formula.

In many cases people are unaware of copyright and will follow the rules if they are made clear.

Finally, MBK, would you please not use the term 'Infogypo'? 'Gyppo' is generally used pejoratively and I don't like racists.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Any comments I make are based on English (dunno about Scottish) practice & law. It looks like nothing significant has changed since my photographer days, so you don't have to apply any sort of copyright mark or label. Consequently any statement you do want to include on a Web site or other publication just needs to get the message across that you own the copyright and that any use elsewhere must only be with your specific approval. The wording is up to you -- there is no 'official' formula.

In many cases people are unaware of copyright and will follow the rules if they are made clear.

Finally, MBK, would you please not use the term 'Infogypo'? 'Gyppo' is generally used pejoratively and I don't like racists.

[/quote]

Plonker! no I dont like racism either.

Wikipedia=See debut in 2005 with the film Gypo , starring Paul McGann and Pauline McLynn , which won a British Independent Film Award for Best Production. ...

Just looked up plonker in Wikipedia..chuckle ,chuckle....no dont' go there it will only make you laugh! I hope!

522 interested people for this topic since Chrispp's interesting first post yesterday afternoon, so Albert I don't think I have been the only one not so sure of the copyright situation however simple it might have been.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing so its nice to thrash it out and get things right.

Thank you for being so helpful Albert.

If my humour offended you I am sorry, as you offended me my insinuating I was racist.

OOp's said with confidence because I read it with confidence (last 2 paragraphs of copyright article-link). I dived straight into the page and failed to notice it was not UK. Quoted with the best of intentions, we cant all be perfect!

I am sorry it was not intentional but you have got to admit its made ***** good discussion.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/513061/understanding_copyrights_frequently_pg2.html?cat=17