Tempo and Jour Rouge

CeeJay

Yet another Jour Rouge, thats 9 so far, only 5 to go!!

We have reversible clim as heating but during these red days we use poele petrole, but it aint half cold Mum!! Is Tempo really worth having when we have to be so careful, or is the efficiency in the clim levelling out the dearer costs on red days? Would be interested to know if anyone has experience of this. I know there are many variables, but as a general rule are we right in not using the clim on these days?

[quote user="Ceejay"]Yet another Jour Rouge, thats 9 so far, only 5 to go!!
We have reversible clim as heating but during these red days we use poele petrole, but it aint half cold Mum!! Is Tempo really worth having when we have to be so careful, or is the efficiency in the clim levelling out the dearer costs on red days? Would be interested to know if anyone has experience of this. I know there are many variables, but as a general rule are we right in not using the clim on these days?
[/quote]

I use a lot of electricity and I worked out that I save around 500 Euros a year using Tempo instead of dual tariff and as you say with the petrole heaters there's no problem.

I am not too sure where you got your number of days from, according to their website we have used 9 and have 13 days left.

http://www.edf-bleuciel.fr/accueil/mon-quotidien-avec-bleu-ciel-d-edf/option-tempo-141090.html

Still its a white day tomorrow. [:D]

Whilst I was in the UK I visited a friend who runs a very busy eco heating company, predominantly groundsource but with air to air, photovoltaic, wind power etc etc.

Anyway he was showing me his demo room which contains the various systems heating the offices workshops and the main house, it was below zero that day and the digital readouts of the air source heat pumps were showing a COF (I think that is what it is called) of 3 to 1.

I am using my clime for top up heat at the moment, it is minus 8 outside at the moment and drops at night, inside the main building where I am working it minus 5. I was initially concerned about the efficiency of the clime at sub zero temps but it appears (and this can only be subjective) to be giving out just as much heat (2.75kw) as when I have used it on cool spring and autumn days, I dont think that it is drawing any more power than its rated 960 watts although the specs do show the puissance maximale as being 1270 watts.

Last winter when the air was damper there were noticeable idle periods whilst the condensor went through a defrost cycle of a few minutes duration, this year, at the moment at least it seems to be running uninterrupted and certainly feels like it is kicking out the full 2.75Kwatt.

I use a mixture of slightly under-rated night storage heaters (to keep within a 6 kw abonnement) on cheap rate electricity and the clime which seems to work out quite economical, my electricity bills are €720 per annum which also includes using the air conditioning in summer, site lighting and all the compressors power tools, cement mixer, overhead hoist etc on the renovation of the main building.

Chancer

Thanks, very interesting, unfortunately last evening the outside unit started clanking quite badly so I turned it off! This morning I tried again, but whilst the inside unit appeared to be doing its job the outside one was not working at all, the fan blades were not turning. This  is a bit disappointing as the whole lot was only installed 18months ago! I am hoping it is a small problem like ice blockage but I would have thought there are safeguards to avoid this. Oh well a weekend of petrole it seems until they come on Monday!

I once had une grande ortie grow through my casing and block my fan, after removal all worked OK without problem so I hope that you will be OK.

I should add that my clime is on the rear of my batiment and faces onto an abandoned tennis court not owned by me.

If you have a secondary form of heating like a fire or petrole heating and can keep warm when on red days and you can also get away without using an electric oven also on those days then yes it is.

I don't know if on your site you can get emails telling you what colour tomorrow will be but you can from the TEMPO one, tomorrow for instance will be red (the email turned up 10 minutes ago) as I suspect most of next week will be. Although its cold and we have some snow where I live the next few days will be warmer so I don't mind as its knocking off the red days. Feb is normally the coldest for us with temps down in the -15 to -17 and thats when it gets difficult and the old thermals come out. So hopefully as most of the red days will be used up by then. 'Her in doors' has just pre cooked all next weeks dinners so all we have to do is nuke them and the washer dryer is going flat out at the moment so the only real negative is Sundays are really busy days preparing for the week ahead.

Helppp !

I have a problem tonight, a fuse has blown in my house ( don't know if that's the right way to say so.. ), and that corresponds to the tempo box, so I don't know what colour tomorrow will be .

As a guess, I'd say white.

Thanks for letting me know.

• 2 weeks later...