Ladies

Celine

March 8th is International Women's Day and it is lamentable how uninterested the UK is in this event. France leads the way with discussions on the Muslim veil banning, The French Justice Minister defends her decision to return to work 5 days after giving birth and la parité au travail is a another. In the UK most women are more interested in make up and hair extensions, whereas in France employers allow women time off to take part in various meetings. Why the difference?

In the UK most women are more interested in make up and hair extensions, whereas in France employers allow women time off to take part in various meetings. Why the difference

Tripping over a media stereotype by any chance ? [8-)]

Perhaps UK women are busy just getting on with being members of society and feel they don't need to discuss their angst on one particular day or given the economic climate, will do it on their own time.

No wonder so many French employers are loathe to give full time contracts if this is the dross they are expected to conform to.[;-)]

hi celine, i wasn't aware of the conference, but i am very interested in becoming more political in terms of women's issues- because it has a hellovalot more significance to saving the planet than windmills, vegitarianism n electric cars- as long as half the women on the planet have less than half the rights of men- we r all well n truly doomed...i also find it ironic that other women (why even bother counting the bloke..) responded w/such hostility....perhaps the media is a facter ie;divide n conquer

I think many of the discussions organised for IWD go well beyond the mundane. Don't worry, Chancer, there will be talks about the woman's role in the family, as a partner etc. so you may well reap the benefits.

When one compares Carla Sarkosy with Sarah Brown I am of the opinion that women of the UK would do well to take more of interest in the image they give to the world.

Céline have you ever lived in England? Like RH I hate stereotypes.  In Leicester where I lived for more than 30 years, lots and lots of activities, discussions, lectures, art events etc, are organised every year for IWD- and they are very well attended. It is a pity some people, both men and women- think that they are only for hardened and vociferous feminists- as it is very far from the truth. I'd recommend that wherever you are it is might be very interesting to find out what goes in in your area- and hopefully, take part.

Celine wrote  "When one compares Carla Sarkosy with Sarah Brown I am of the opinion that women of the UK would do well to take more of interest in the image they give to the world. "

I'm not sure that Sarah Brown is represenative of British women any more than Margaret Thatcher is. As for Carla's public image  Hhmmm! You might want to think about that ?   [:D]

This thread shows how we each bring our own prejudices to subejcts like this one. When I first read

"When one compares Carla Sarkosy with Sarah Brown"

I assumed that Carla was being compared unfavourably.

There's a definite lack of hair extensions in this village.

Hoddy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Brown_(spouse)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carla_Bruni-Sarkozy

Frankly I'm fairly happy that we don't see statements about Sarah Browns love life on her wiki page - nor has she to my knowledge had numerous affairs including liaisons with a father and son -  and Sara Brown is British where as Carla has given conflicting statements about whether she is French or has dual nationaliy.....

Surely you couldn't be judging just based on looks ? [8-)]

[quote user="Celine"]I. When one compares Carla Sarkosy with Sarah Brown I am of the opinion that women of the UK would do well to take more of interest in the image they give to the world.[/quote]

You are having a larf arent you?

You started out by saying:

"In the UK most women are more interested in make up and hair extensions,"

March 8th is International Women's Day and it is lamentable how

uninterested the UK is in this event.

Really? Our town in England has all sorts of things going on throughout that week, not just on the Monday. Maybe they don't count because they are run by the Mothers' Union and the various churches. I'm not aware of any celebration of womens' day in our commune in France.

France leads the way with

discussions on the Muslim veil banning,

You consider that preventing women expressing their religion is a positive aspect?

The French Justice Minister

defends her decision to return to work 5 days after giving birth

Is that a positive aspect of being a mother in France? UK employers give considerably longer maternity leave than five days.

and la

parité au travail is a another.

I know certain women working in France who would love to be treated more equally.

In the UK most women are more

interested in make up and hair extensions,

As previously asked, where did that prejudiced statement come from? Many British people have similarly unrepresentative views of French women.

whereas in France employers

allow women time off to take part in various meetings.

Why do you think women in UK do not take part in local issues groups, trade union matters, and numerous interests and activities? They do so in their own time as well as during working hours, perhaps because their husbands/partners in UK are willing to help with housework and looking after children etc.

Why the

difference?

What difference?

It's unfortunate. Sexist, xenophobic claptrap is probably the last thing that the original questioner had in mind. But that's what we have here.

Thank you for the link Russethouse.

I am not comfortable being exposed to such nasty negative comments as in Will's rantings. I assume he (male?) is speaking from a superior position, so I will accept my shortcomings and bow out.

Hope the discussion has produced some interest amongst some for IWD.

I now have a confused national identity and I don't know if I'm supposed to be getting my hair manicured and nails extended ( or was it the other way round) Celine you cannot be suprised that people are going to take offence to your comments. I belong to a union that has a womens section, a black section a gay and lesbion section, and a disabled section. There is however no white or male section.

I don't think criticising the way other women choose to look is a very effective method of discussing womens issues.

[quote user="Will"]Sexist, xenophobic claptrap is probably the last thing that the original questioner had in mind. But that's what we have here.[/quote]

I'm sorry that Will's response upset Celine. I found it direct, perhaps a little blunt, but not 'nasty negative' nor 'rantings'

...and I couldn't agree more with the part I've quoted, above.  

I would guess that Celine speaks English (very well) as a second language, so we might cut him/her some slack.

Oh, and while I'm here, ViVienne, I loved your first comment! I, too, am a full-time woman. [:D]

I agree, Coops, I once resigned from a very good job because I got fed up of the Head of Research introducing me as "my young lady assistant".

And I find that article you posted completely, devastatingly, depressing!

I'm leaving this thread alone now as it's not helping my mood today.[:(]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

As soon as I see women referred to as Ladies then my hackles go up.  Silly, I guess, but true.

[/quote]

Not just you, Coops. Like referring to men as "gentlemen", systematically. Another era, with values that we hoped would be obsolete by now.

As for the article,  when you look at the indignities and hardships that some courageous women had to suffer in order to bring some improvement in women's lives (I am thinking of the suffragettes for example), it is heartbreaking to think that there is so much regression. Can it really be true that for so many, their biggest ambition is to catch the eye of a footballer????