Dual nationality

Wils

We are permenant residents in France and have been for six years. Our 17 year old daughter wishes to take French nationality but also wishes to keep her British nationality does anyone know if this is possible, anybody done it, any pitfalls etc.

Bobwils

Your daughter should go and see the people at your local Tribunal d'Instance, it is they that sort this sort of thing out. They will be able to tell her when she will be able to apply to become french etc and if she would retain dual nationality.

She will probably need to wait until she is 18 to apply for french nationality. As TU says, it is the tribunal d'instance who deals with it. They will probably refuse to give any answers about dual nationality because it is beyond their competance. They only deal with French nationality acquisition. As Clark Kent says, both France tha the UK allow their nationals to have another nationality as well, so in taking french nationality she just accumulates, there is no need to make any declarations about her UK nationality at all( either that she wants to keep it or renounce it)

I have had French nationality for the last couple of years, it is a mostly painless experience and not much more complicated that asking for a carte de sejour (with the added big surprise that the people at the TI were friendly and efficient and the list of paperwork they provided was exactly what they wanted) I also have kept my bristish nationality.

This is the best link for info  http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/N111.xhtml?&n=Etrangers+en+France&l=N8

One thing you should be aware of is that if your daughter goes back to the UK for futher education, she will be treated as an overseas student and subjected to the fees that are applied to foreign students.  This happened to a friend's daughter who now has dual nationality and came as quite a shock to her parents when they saw the course fees, the other thing is the French do not have to grant nationality so it is not just a question of just appying and getting it, any hint of trouble in the past like policecautions and you have no chance like another friend's son found out.[:-))]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]One thing you should be aware of is that if your daughter goes back to the UK for futher education, she will be treated as an overseas student and subjected to the fees that are applied to foreign students.[/quote]

Naive question perhaps, but how does the UK know you are a dual national unless you tell them?  I've been a US/French dual national for 26 years and as far as I'm aware, neither country knows or cares about the other...

PG

If you are from the EU you pay the same University fees in the UK as British students.

Our kids are British but as they live in France, are classed as EU students.

It's just non - EU students who pay the higher fees.

PG I can only recount our friends experience where her daughter went to school, college and then University in France and then took French nationality, she then went to the UK to do a post grad vocational course and was treated as a foreign student, and she had to pay significantly higher fees than her UK classmates, she did get a grant towards accommodation though.

Some universities do charge more, such as the OU.

I think it was Deimos that pointed out that the UK government subsidises UK students  that live in the UK, which is why the fees are higher for non UK based students, even if they hold an British passport or are part of the EU.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/644766/ShowPost.aspx

she then went to the UK to do a post grad vocational course and was treated as a foreign student,

Many vocational postgraduate courses in English universities are provided in an open market. The university charges what it likes (ie what it thinks it can get away with) and may treat overseas students as cash cows.

Such fees may be an important part of the university's revenue.