The problem with May in France....

..... is that the long holiday weekends mean that the produce available in the shops and supermarkets is stale and takes at least 24 hours to get back to normal, and the number of markets with fresh produce is also minimal. And, although I do use them sometimes, I find that the roadside fruit and veg sellers are not all that cheap. So, please, roll on June so that all that lovely fresh stuff currently coming to perfection can be sold into my gullet as I needs and wants and looks forward to me fresh stuff at this time of year.

Phew, rant over.

I see that as well as campaigning for the right to retirement at 60 for all with a maximum of 37.5 years of cotisations and a pension of 75% of salary of the final 6 months work the syndicates are also lobbying to get four more public holidays to be added to the calender in June.

Fair doos, no public holidays until November, unless of course you actually count les grandes vacances in August!

What, you expecting them to work without AT LEAST 4 public holidays in June?  Mon dieu, how are they to survive all the graft?[:P]

You could always try growing some salad yourself Wooly that's what I have been doing since our last exchange of PM's, trying to eat healthier like you suggested. They don't appear to have grow-bags here (well not so I have noticed) but you can get these cheap 40L bags of compost from the supermarkets for under 3 Euros, slit the top open and plant some stuff in them. You could even do some Tom's as well.

[quote user="Chancer"]I see that as well as campaigning for the right to retirement at 60 for all with a maximum of 37.5 years of cotisations and a pension of 75% of salary of the final 6 months work the syndicates are also lobbying to get four more public holidays to be added to the calender in June.[/quote]

In their dreams. Who is gonna pay? The rich; well you can only do that once because they will have bug gered off to Geneva or better.

It will be 65 and rising as for the rest of Europe and there will be no more 'ponts' or pubic holidays. Silly so and so's.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

[quote user="Chancer"][/quote]

In their dreams. Who is gonna pay? The rich; well you can only do that once because they will have bug gered off to Geneva or better.

[/quote]

When pushed that was the common response, tax the rich (more), tax the employers (more), tax the actionnaires (more), tax the bourse, etc etc etc.

Had the help crew/ground force round today to help with the garden - can't cut the grass cos of my broken wrist, so needed help.  Our own fresh salad out the grow boxes, cherries off the tree, alpine strawberries, last years epinard in the salmon en croute, loads of things growing away nicely in the garden and chums loved it!

[quote user="Cathy"]I find May disruptive for school children.   This year was different because some of the Bank Holidays were on a Saturday but in other years, they have only gone to school for one full week in May.

[/quote]

My children absolutely adored the month of May, and me too. I didn't have to get up at 6.00! By the time they were at the lycee, school effectively finished at the end of May because of the exams.  Vivent les vacances!