moving to france

My Husband and I are seriously thinking abpout fulfilling our dream with a move to France. We have equity in our property and would probably sell up and use this to rent for a while until we find our feet. My Husband is a joiner by trade and I would want to get a job to contribute to French society. I have basic French language skills and am improving these by joining a class from September.

We are not settled on any particular area although love the Languedoc. What would be the next step to renting? Are there any trusted sites or agents that anybody could recommend? Or any advice genereally? The information on the net is so overwhelming almost too much to narrow down and we would appreciate advice from anyone who has been in a similar position. I am 31 and my husband is 43 we have one dog and one cat who would be coming with us (advice on getting them across would be useful too!)

Looking forwrad to any replies!

Blimey!

The amount of info' on the net is overwhelming because this is just such a huge subject which has been covered, one way and another, many many times on here.   Do a search, or have a good look at the existing threads about this and you'll see what I mean.  And everybody has a different point of view through all shades of rose pink to black and back again (ie "don't do it" to "come now and think about it later".)

Ask yourselves if your o/h speaks good enough French to get his equivalent qualification over here (he'll need it to get properly insured.)  Will he be able to discuss his work with his French clients (he won't find enough English speaking ones to make a living unless very lucky) and write them estimates etc.?  Will you have enough money to keep you both while he gets set up and finds work? - if he ever does.  Unemployment here is much higher than in the UK and the costs of running a business (taxes, social and health charges etc) will eat about 50% of your profits.  The bureaucracy is a bit of a nightmare and has tested the most competent and France-savvy people (a few on here who are really experienced in working and running companies here have found this frustrating - how will you fare?)

That said, people do it and do it successfully but many fail.  As you don't appear to have kids at least you can get out if it doesn't work without affecting anybody but yourselves.

Make sure your healthcare provision is sorted.  If employed in Britain then you will be entitled to some cover from the UK but the self-employed only benefit from this for a maximum of 18 months.  And once you set your business up you have to pay into the French system.   You will also only get around 70% of the costs back from the state here so willl need to think seriously about "top up" insurance to pay for the rest.

Notaires often have rental properties and can be cheaper than agents. 

http://www.notaires.fr/notaires/page/accueil?page_id=1

Lots of info' and opinions on the best way to bring over your animals in the pets section.  But the things to get on with are the rabies vaccinations and subsequent blood tests.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Well, you've just put me off moving to France coop, and I live here! lol[/quote][:D]

I think it's fine and dandy if you don't have to hold down a job but tough for those who do.  In my little town in the UK near where I lived I had three French friends, all of whom were in England because they could make more money more easily there than here. (One is a joiner, funnily enough, the other two a teacher and an ophthamologist.)

At the risk of being even more offputting, it is well to note (or to remember) that Languedoc is an area of high unemployment (14% at the moment, higher than the national average). I know this from personal experience, I tried to get work, and couldn't (and I am French!)

http://www.frenchentree.com/languedoc-herault-gard-mortgage-insurance/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=11911

We purchased a property in the Languedoc last year and concur that the economic conditions are depressed/or flat.

The economic outlook for the UK for the next few years in my view will be far worse.

Rent out your present property and try and make a living in France. If it works great - if it doesn’t put it down to experience.

PS I am a joiner, plaster, manager, sales assistant……… is ancient history. Look at every opportunity.

[quote user="misplacedperson"]No, but TOs need maintenance staff. Here, for example: http://jobs.alpineelements.co.uk/?url=alpine-elements-jobs-french-alps
[/quote]

Unless he really wants to earn around 100 GBP per week those kind of jobs aren't really very attractive to anyone over 25.  They get away with paying under minimum wage and don't adhere to hardly any employment standards (UK or French) the TO's are all the same , not a good one amongst them as far as pay and benefits go but they can do it as there are alwasy queues of teens happy to get a pittance for a 12 hour day as long as they can ski on their one day off.

How no one has ever clamped down on this practice is beyond me. 

I know all about that. [:)]

However, such jobs are a handy way of going and looking at an area, since they provide accommodation and your recce triptherefore comes cheap. It's also the case that TOs will pay half decent wages to skilled tradesmen because otherwise they just don't get any.

Weren't you stirring it on Natives regarding tour op people-trafficking activities at one point? Always good for a wind-up, that one.

If you, or your kids, ever want to work for a ski company - make sure you find one which provides you with accomodation, food,  equipment and a ski pass. Otherwise if you do not have skis, etc, and rich parents or savings - you'll find that you won't be able to buy a ski pass - which can be VERY expensive for the season. I've known many kids who've got caught on on this one.

[quote user="misplacedperson"]I know all about that. [:)]

However, such jobs are a handy way of going and looking at an area, since they provide accommodation and your recce triptherefore comes cheap. It's also the case that TOs will pay half decent wages to skilled tradesmen because otherwise they just don't get any.

Weren't you stirring it on Natives regarding tour op people-trafficking activities at one point? Always good for a wind-up, that one.
[/quote]

Hello

Although I enjoy a good wind up I dont think Ive ever  tried one in relation to people trafficking, I dont think the TO's will ever be short enough of willing lambs to have to resort to that.[:D]

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Coop, yes lot's of opinions you could spend several years reading the positives and negatives and still not make any decision. We don't make a huge living here and certainly are not looking to become millionaires in France just hoping for a better way of life. We are not passing on any opportunity and looking into any information we can gather. Signed up for French classes in the Autumn so there's a start!

Will continue to read, read and read some more......

:)