THE WEATHER THREAD

About about indulging in a favourite British activity - talking about the weather:

We have just had 3 weeks of lovely hot weather, with just a light breeze to help - and cool nights with the wafting smell of freshly cut hay. Just one short storm last week-end to refill the water butts. Hurray.

It is now 35 in the shade on our terrace.  I am thus inside with the fan on, watching the racing and posting in the gaps.   After the last significant shower (about 10 days ago), the maize in the field at the back shot up nigh-on two feet within about 3 days.  Amazing.  The sunflowers likewise have suddenly appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

Cool nights?  Lucky you.

As I'll be up watching motor racing all night on Saturday/Sunday, it will be nice if the warm weather stays around, but not if it's this hot during the day.

We left the Gard on Sunday, where I'd found daytime temps of 35 or so difficult, and inside temps at night of 24 pretty grim. We spent Tuesday night just north of Geneva, nice and cool at night. Back in SE UK, we apparently brought clouds and showers with us; there are sunny intervals, and it's pleasantly warm. The garden is looking very healthy; long grass under trees and short and yellow in the open. The tomatoes and courgettes are looking good, and the weeds are big and healthy! No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing over the next few weeks!  [:)]

Here in the cotsdwolds it hasn't rained for nearly 5 weeks and has been very warm night and day.  I'm praying for some rain as I need the grass to grow for hay, a shortage is expected due to incredibly low rainfall in the UK so far.  We were due some last night but seems to keep missing us.  I'll be the one moaning when it rains for all of August, another Brit triat never being happy with the weather!

The forecast for SE UK today was for around 30, and warnings were given in the papers and on the radio to take care, especially the young and the elderly; to keep windows shut, wipe the face and neck with cool water etc. I guess nobody wants to risk anything like the huge number of deaths in Europe a few years ago! 

I've found it to be very hot but mostly pleasant today. I went to Oxford, where it was lovely wandering around some of the colleges etc, in their wonderful shade. But walking back to Oxford station was awful; the train was fairly cool; and I felt cooked on the walk from our town station to where I met OH for my lift home. It's now 6pm and about 25, and it's meant to stay very warm overnight. Time to get the aircon unit out; we bought it about 4 or 5 years ago, used it for one night at the end of a heatwave, and haven't used it since!  [:)]

34 here today, ok at home because I have trees in the garden, and there was a pleasant breeze in the afternoon,but I went to Niort, and in town it was very unpleasant.

The only thing that allows us to keep fresh for a couple of hours is a dip in the pool.

If only we could stock this heat for the winter months !!

Here in the Pas de Calais it has been quite unpleasantly hot, however went to the coast yesterday and there was a nice sea breeze.

Now 16 degrees, at 7.15 am but expecting 30 + today, just hope it rains soon, storms threatened for the weekend.

Suey

Yes we do sometimes - the worst is 'la bise noire' that goes straight through you like a million swords! But it is rare, truly. Our winters are very cold but DRY and very bright - huge blue skies and crisp crisp snow. And Summers are warm, but always with a little breeze, DRY and nights are always cool after sun down - brilliant. Born and bred here - and love it.

Swissie, sounds a lot like the Vosges!  Proper seasons and weather - cold and snowy and crisp in Winter, warm and breezy in Summer.  Obviously the odd ridiculously hot (37 here on Sunday) and shivering cold (-19 last December) day, but invigorating [:)]  And you know pretty much what to expect (so unlike the UK!).

Just wish the forecast storm last night had appeared - had to water all the tubs and window-boxes today which wasn't on the agenda!

Yes, Vosges and Jura are very alike in many ways - With the school where I taught in UK, we used to organise 1 or 2 exchanges a year to Epinal, our twin town - so know the area well- and when I was a teenager had a boyfriend from Gerardmer.  Love our autumns too - colours so crisp and wonderful - and lots of mushroom hunting.

Oh, and forgot - love I Springs too - although quite short. How many kinds of greens can there be? And if the price to pay for all this beauty is a few days of 'bise noire' - well it's very good value indeed. Minus 19C is nothing though - here we got last year was -26.5 with -34 up the road in 'Little Siberia'. But strangely enough, it doesn't feel that cold because it is DRY.

Very hot again today 30C in the shade- but with a lovely breeze - main thing being, that it does cool down at night, so we can sleep.

Did you feel the earth move??

A couple of weeks ago a female friend had called at around 09:30am, and while we sat having a coffee and a natter when all of a sudden came this almighty bang. It was as if a heavy farm vehicle or truck had hit the side or the front of the house and simultaneously the house shook, we both looked at each other and said what the hell was that? Or words to that effect.

I jumped up and went to the front window and looked outside, nothing, at the same time my friend had gone to the side window and had a good look to see if any heavy vehicles where embeded in the wall, and again nothing.

I thought nothing more of this event until last Friday evening while sitting outside the local Sports Bar quaffing a cold beer or two, my female friend arrived and came straight over to me and told me what had happened on that particular morning, she said that it was an earthquake, this was later confirmed by many others that had experienced this tremor on that particular morning, so it doesn’t just happen in Dud-lay as it did back in 2001-2. That too was quite an earth moving moment!!