Was this "The difference"

Stopping for a coffee at a village Cafe' on our way back from UK yesterday we spotted the difference that means living in France. THe Patron brought our coffee over to the table and we watched as each workman arrived the shaking of hands the kiss to the lady serving.2 UK registered cars parked outside,both families of parents and teen age children,9 in total, came into the Cafe'when given the chance to order a wave of the hand, the only word spoken was "Toilet"? The patron directed them to the public toilet across the square. Not a word of please or thankyou and a noisey departure leaving both doors open.Yes it is different here.

[quote user="Quillan"] I would feel very embarrassed if I didn't buy something before using the toilet.[/quote]

Well so did I when, newly arrived in Saint Malo for the very first time, my friend announced she desperately needed the loo. Seeing a typical, deep and narrow French bar handily close by I approached the man behind the bar, apologised in advance, explained my friend's plight and received the reply << allez-y, les toilettes se trouvent juste derrière vous>> When I thanked him profusely for his kindness he replied <<il n'y a pas de quoi>>. My friend wanted to offer some payment but the barman refused to accept anything ... and the toilets were, apparently, very clean.

Sue

You may find that half of those sock 'n' sandal wearers are Dutch, if you look closely. I find it easy to spot the Brits here because they tend to be slightly overweight - this being a ski area we don't generally see many fatties.

It may interest you to know that bars/restaurants are obliged to let random members of the public use the toilets regardless of whether or not a purchase is made. Obviously they're not mad keen to do so, and it's polite to buy something.

[quote user="misplacedperson"]You may find that half of those sock 'n' sandal wearers are Dutch, if you look closely. [/quote]

No, definitely English, I forgot to mention the knotted hanky on their heads and the 'beer guts'.[Www][:D]

Sue and I were in a transport café near Carpentras last month when 4 girls walked in and asked for a glass of water (I learned they were making a journey of several miles towards Orange on foot).  The waitress gave them each a glass with a smile and they went on their way.

I'd have given them a lift but it would have meant leaving the wife behind...............

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="misplacedperson"]You may find that half of those sock 'n' sandal wearers are Dutch, if you look closely. [/quote]

No, definitely English, I forgot to mention the knotted hanky on their heads and the 'beer guts'.[Www][:D].

[/quote]

It's the general déshabillée that embarrasses me. (m &f) It might go down alright in places like St. Tropez, but in Mirande market it's definitely inappropriate.Yesterday there was a woman in a bikini in Carrefour.[:$]

You have to appreciate it works both ways. My wife's French and if we're abroad, and she comes across another French family, she usually cringes and wants to disassociate herself from them. I remember being in Madeira last year: we'd gone down for breakfast fairly early, but a lot of the fresh fruits and bread had gone, and the staff won't replenishing them. A French family sitting opposite us had their breakfast and had also helped themselves to lots more. They sat at the table making themselves sandwiches and a picnic lunch from the breakfast meant for all the guests! Even I was quite gob-smacked at their audacity.

For whatever reason most tourists seem to behave differently from how they would back at home.

For example French tourists are consistently rated internationally as amongst the most impolite and inconsiderate and I have witnessed this on many occassions in the US. Maybe because many French toursists abroad are Parisiens!

[quote user="zarathustra"]You have to appreciate it works both ways. My wife's French and if we're abroad, and she comes across another French family, she usually cringes and wants to disassociate herself from them. I remember being in Madeira last year: we'd gone down for breakfast fairly early, but a lot of the fresh fruits and bread had gone, and the staff won't replenishing them. A French family sitting opposite us had their breakfast and had also helped themselves to lots more. They sat at the table making themselves sandwiches and a picnic lunch from the breakfast meant for all the guests! Even I was quite gob-smacked at their audacity.
[/quote]

Same here. Missus cringes, and pretends she's English, when she hears French spoken when we're in the UK. Seen the lunch trick done by the French many, many times. And why are they so loud? And they all want to be her friend because she speaks the same language! And they all have so many personal problems!

[quote user="zarathustra"]You have to appreciate it works both ways. My wife's French and if we're abroad, and she comes across another French family, she usually cringes and wants to disassociate herself from them. I remember being in Madeira last year: we'd gone down for breakfast fairly early, but a lot of the fresh fruits and bread had gone, and the staff won't replenishing them. A French family sitting opposite us had their breakfast and had also helped themselves to lots more. They sat at the table making themselves sandwiches and a picnic lunch from the breakfast meant for all the guests! Even I was quite gob-smacked at their audacity.

[/quote]

One hotel where we stayed in Tenerife had staff on the doors of the breakfast room. They were searching the bags carried by the Italians for excess food. Apparently they were recognised for making up lunch from the breakfast foods.

Didn't realise it was so commonplace. Sadie - your story made me laugh. :) The breakfast police may catch on elsewhere.

I've noticed French queue jumpers outside of France which generally annoys most British people, and about 8 years ago I was in America's Yosemite Park, queuing at a canteen and a Frenchman was getting peeved with the guy serving, whilst trying to give his order in French (they evidentally didn't understand what he wanted). He turned around and spoke to me in French (I didn't know any French at that time), shrugging his shoulders like they were idiots.

Having watched a BBC prog. last night I'd say if they want to take any excess food for lunch, the best of luck to them. My original posting was aimed at the arrogance and ignorance shown but I suppose it could be put down to a fear of other nationalities.Put on a brave front or plain ignorance and ill manners.Speaking very little French,even after 20 years, I find a polite approach works wonders whether asking for a toilet or dealing with the Hotel des Impots,when you might need a toilet!!

In our market I saw a woman of a certain age trying on a bra - over her clothes.

And yet another one yesterday suddenly stripped down to the bikini she was wearing under her dress (well most of her was hanging out of the said bikini - it wasn't a pretty sight).

She then proceeded to try on various (unsuitable!) items from the stall.

You're surely not suggesting they should have come in and shaken hands or kissed the lady behind the bar. She'd have been very offended.  So they didn't speak any French, so half the British people that live in France don't.

When I go to my local cafe I always kiss the lady behind the counter and she always brings me my coffee to the table, and I live in the UK.

This episode is hardly representative of  'la difference' I would have though!