How should the police approach a demonstration....

Neither brutal nor heavy handed, in fact not even a proportional response to use their words, a proportional response would have been to bite the women back. Disgracefull to use their children in that way.

The guys will need to up their game somewhat when they take on the illegal Rom and traveller camps.

Not brutal not an over-reaction, no real violence on either side in the BBC report, the police did what they had to do in a propotionate way.  I agree with the guy from the campaign group that there needs to be a dialogue about housing immigrants but when HMG or other commentators complain about the French doing nothing about their illegal immigrants, it's difficult to argue when they start to take some positive action against them, even if it's to legalise their position in the country.

Having read a few of the English papers and watched the two links given I think its typical of how easily the UK press can be manipulated and how gullible they are. Talking to my French guests this morning none of them have any strong feelings one way or another. Sure its a very small group to ask and I know it they not represent every French person, in fact I am sure they don't, but it makes you wonder how English newspapers and alike can say that France is horrified by this incident.

I understand some papers are saying there were several film crews present yet all we see is the same bit of film which I understand was taken by a certain French chap (don't want to get in to trouble here) who you can see talking in the BBC link given before and obviously has an agenda. It has also been edited a bit (some have claimed) taking out 'white' demonstrators although you can just about catch quick glimpses of one or two in the background, clearly then, if true, an attempt to stir up some form of racial backlash. I see in one reported instance there are claims that the whole thing was 'staged' and that the women were told if they carried their babies the police would not touch them, I wonder what they think of the person that told them that now, if true of course. One thing is for sure that the woman being dragged along the floor with a baby on her back was not nice to see, its not as if the baby could choose to be there and that I thought was a bit strong. One comment on C4 last night by their reporter based in Paris when asked did he think there would be an enquiry, he said "probably not".

I've not followed this in the British media. However, from your comments I think they've missed the point. It is the fact that the video has been released at all that is significant. The incident took place nearly 2 weeks ago. As normal the mainstream French media wouldn't show it. As a general rule, they are a bit like the old style communist press. Won't show anything negative to tthe State. Now there is a new player on the block, Mediapart. Internet based, they broke the Bettencourt/Woerth scandal, again which the mainstream media wouldn't touch. They showed the video, CNN picked up on it, and then the mainstream media couldn't ignore it. Like the B/W scandal.

The unhealthy relationship between the French media and the State is difficult for Brits/Americans to get the heads around. Mitterands parallel family, Chirac's food expenses, etc, were never discussed in France.

Watch Sarko shut Mediapart down pronto[:@] or the reality of the French State will be all over the media for all to see.

There was a debate about this on France 24 last night, the english speaking/dubbed version, I was particularly interested because the participants were debating in English which caused them all some problems, listening to learned Frenchmen insulting each other in English was hilarious and reminded me of the castle seige in Monty Python [:D]

Aside from the obligatory bleeding hearts/human rights activist and the UMP member who tried and failed to make political capital out of the brutality of the situation most seemed to agree that it was a reasonable way to break up the demonstration.

There has been much debate today on France Inter with many people saying the plans to renounce citizenship already granted is unconstitutional (although IIRC it was not until the 80's) and contrary to liberté and egalité.

For me there is a simple answer to deal with the extreme crimes and home bred terrorism if they cannot renounce citezenship, re-open the penal colonies in Guyane.

[quote user="Chancer"]

There has been much debate today on France Inter with many people saying the plans to renounce citizenship already granted is unconstitutional (although IIRC it was not until the 80's) and contrary to liberté and egalité.

[/quote]

Funny enough the UK can do this, I quote from the UK Border Agency Website, "We may also take away your British citizenship if, in our opinion, it would be in the public interest for us to do so......." As I understand it this was done recently to one of the alleged spies found in the US who also had UK citizenship. I also understand from Mrs 'Q' who does work sometimes in this area that if you gain UK citizenship then commit a crime that depending on the severity of the crime you may be stripped of your citizenship on release. I guess this may come under their rule of being "in the public interest".

Sorry forgot to put my reference in.: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/withdrawingcitizenship/