How France see us? and don't mention the Germans

Met a very nice French guy from Dordogneshire the other day - he was not anti-British at all per se - but he did say enough was enough - and that now British people are buying and importing everything and the kitchen sink from the UK,  he feared tension would perhaps arise. An interesting conversation.

That's interesting Swissie. When we first bought this house we were told that the British were preferrred to the Dutch because they brought everything with them and those from the UK bought locally. One man went so far as to say that the Dutch even brought their own potatoes with them and then took the peelings home. That was some years ago though.

Hoddy

Sorry Iceni - do you mean : pas d'argent.

The point I was trying to make is that reputation may well soon extend to British if more and more get into the habit of buying everything on line from UK and get shipped over. Whether this will catch on long term will depend on the strength of the £ /  E- but the French are definitely beginning to notice, and might not be so welcoming if the trend continues. (and of course many Brits also import all their kitchens, bathrooms, etc + their own craftsmen from the UK).

[quote user="Swissie"]

The point I was trying to make is that reputation may well soon extend to British if more and more get into the habit of buying everything on line from UK and get shipped over. [/quote]

Cor, about time too!

I have been rubbing their noses into it for long enough [6]  although building materials, tools and and household items, not foodstuffs I hasten to add. I know better than to mention la bouffe anglaise to a Frenchman [:D]

Funny how they always say the same thing "on est pris pour les cons en France", the downside is that I have become like a mail order catalogue agent but without the commission, which I dont mind as it gives me pleasure to help others.

The killer is when they discover the concept of free delivery and what a guarantee actually means in the UK, to be fair I have found one company in France that does offer it but à partir de €380 (Toolstation has free delivery from £10) and then they want to add €2 for you to be able to return faulty or unsuitable goods, at your own cost of course!

Slightly different feel hereabouts, inasmuch as the french trades feel the english are either too loaded/difficult to deal with, that there is an almost universal 'english tax' applied to devi's; at the same time they recognise that many things are unfairly cheaper in UK, even my local builder's merchant asked me to get his invoices printed in UK because they were virtually half price!

Can't see another revolution anytime soon however, they like their state services and early retirement too much, even the local retired postman owns a couple of bars which he lets out, (and is slowly drinking himself into his cups).

[quote user="Chancer"]

Does the Con Anglais think it is a term of endearment?

[/quote]

[:D] I would definitely prefer not to be known as "cette conne d'anglaise". If that guy sees it as a term of endearment, it is quite hilarious.

Swissie, don't you think that "con" is quite a bit stronger, as a label, than "twit"?  To me, it is halfway between "cretin" and "jerk" (a bit of each!). Definitely pejorative.

edit: Just asked husband, who claims that the best translation is "that  English p r i c k"

ooops, you must have missed the mention of the vowel change - which does make the term quite a bit stronger (and is the official word for word translation) - agreed, defo not a term I'd like to be labelled with.

As a foriner in the UK for a very long time- I didn't know there is a big difference between a twit and a tw*t! I made the mistake in my early teaching days - and the kids soon put me right. LOL.[:$]  bless them.

[quote user="Swissie"]  difference between a twit and a tw*t!  [/quote]

Problem here is the written word, whilst words have basic meanings, the difference is very often in facial expression and tone![:D]

I know some very nice peeps frequently called a tw*t! (or worse) with a smile and laugh, and some equally not so nice people called twit with neither a smile or laugh[Www]

To my mind the word with the a in it is a pejorative term for a part of the female anatomy, just as the much stronger translation of the French word "con" is (begins with the same letter if you're not with me yet.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twat

To get to the link, you'll have to insert the offending t word!

Twit (or nitwit?) is just a name for an idiot and thus has none of the unpleasant and insultingly sexist connotations of the other one.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=twit

Although I do agree with JJ, ultmately it depends so much upon how these things are said.

[quote user="Chancer"]

PatF.

Does the Con Anglais think it is a term of endearment?

[/quote]

No, he's under no illusions as to their opinion of him, he just doesn't care! He really is an idiot, gives us all a bad name.

It isn't just how things are said though is it ? Some people find swearing more offensive than others so it depends on the listener too. For my part. I find the English word being discussed here one of the most offensive in the language even though I know that some people hardly think of it as swearing.

As to the Englishmen and his French name, perhaps the fact that he likes it proves that it's appropriate.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]It isn't just how things are said though is it ? Some people find swearing more offensive than others so it depends on the listener too. For my part. I find the English word being discussed here one of the most offensive in the language even though I know that some people hardly think of it as swearing.[/quote]

I agree.

For my part, I find both the English and the French words discussed here to be offensive.

I was asked to add the French word (and its derivatives) to the  forum list of "banned" words (those which appear as ** in posts), but someone objected, arguing that it is commonly used in everyday language.

I deferred, but I still find the word objectionable.

I flinch inside when I come across it on the forum, as it seems to me to be a step too far in the process of integration.