Its started early this year

Bugsy

Woke up this morning to the delightful sound (not) of hunting dogs, blaring horns and high-powered rifles. [:@][:(]

I'm guessing its a special arrangement as the season doesn't start till later in the year. The rifles suggest Boar or Deer.

A wonderful sound indeed! I remember a couple of years back, we'd lost our Paris cat at my inlaws near Tours... They live next to a wide open field (covered in knee height plants), and we assumed the cat was hiding in there, and then to our horror we saw hunters wading through this field with guns. They were in violation of the law that dictates the distance they must be from a property, and I suggested we go and have a word, as we didn't want them to shoot the cat, but my father-in-law wouldn't. He said they were friends with the local chateau owner, and are 'above the law' - if we upset them, they would probably shoot his own collection of cats.

Fortunately after many hours of searching and finding nothing, the cat returned of his own accord late in the evening!

• 4 weeks later...