Where do you want to be laid to rest?

TWINKLE

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Dog"]

Anyone that turns up must be in fancy dress - plenty of beer and a band will be at the wake.

[/quote]

Bonzo Dog, doo dah band? [:)]

[/quote]

Sadly Vivian Stanshall has already shrugged of his mortal coil - what a mellifluous voice  - I could listen to him all day.

My mother (90 years old now) has completely pre-organised her funeral arrangements, out of consideration for her children! She has pre-paid for her funeral, which includes cremation. She just gave me a business card with a number to call "when the time comes" and they are supposed to take care of everything! She picked cremation "parce que c'est plus pratique!" - and doesn't appear to have come across any obstacle in doing so. She is reluctant to go into details with me though.

As for cost, I looked into that for myself, as I was interested in cheap cardboard disposable coffins, as they exist in the UK (but didn't find an equivalent here?) and decided (it's really time I should do something about it) to donate my body to medical science for dissection or whatever they want to do with it - this way is the cheapest possible. I have no interest in what happens after I die - perhaps taking after my own father, who ended up a misanthropist in his old days, and declared he wanted his remains to be "fed to his dogs". Needless to say, that was definitely not allowed, and he ended up cremated.

[quote user="idun"] And then I want everyone to have a good time with a table full of good food and as much to drink as they want. And no flowers......... shouldn't I be writing this in my will?![/quote]

You definitely should, Idun. Make a living will.

It is also advisable (not that I have done it myself, as I am keeping my head buried in the sand like many people) to give firm instructions, in writing, if you do not want to be resuscitated, or put on life-support machine forever, etc...

[quote user="Dog"][quote user="Théière"][quote user="Dog"]

Anyone that turns up must be in fancy dress - plenty of beer and a band will be at the wake.

[/quote]

Bonzo Dog, doo dah band? [:)]

[/quote]

Sadly Vivian Stanshall has already shrugged of his mortal coil - what a mellifluous voice  - I could listen to him all day.

[/quote]

Likewise Frank Zappa, Sheik Yerbouti Dog?

5E I mentioned a living will to my Dr last time I was there and he was horrified, too young he said, but I'm not and there are bits of me that are falling apart now.

Paradoxically, the young handsome greek kine here, said I was very supple, very supple, he insisted, and that is the paradox, some bits are supple and work well and the rest is ready for the knackers yard!

I've often wondered with cremation whether they burn the coffin with the body, or do the sensible thing and recycle it. Does anyone know?

I guess they don't as they are pretty expensive.

I personally believe money is for the living and not the dead, so whatever the cheapest option of disposing my body is, go for it. A lime pit was good enough for Mozart...

[quote user="gardengirl "]Richard, cremation is the thing for OH's family; they do burn those very expensive coffins. I would like a woodland burial, with cardboard coffin, although the daft side of me liked the sound of those woollen coffins the Pince of Wales talked about last week - very comfy and cosy!! [:)][/quote]

My MIL wanted a cardboard coffin, we were quite surprised by the cost (from the Coop) so the FIL got her a wooden one instead and said that she would never know. I remember that when both my parents were cremated that we were not allowed to put them in their own cloths because of pollution, the funeral home had to supply special shrouds that were kind to the environment. There was also an issue with the casket for their ash's as they were to be buried in the family plot, had to be wood with no nails or plastic bits. There seems to be a lo of regulations on what you can and cannot do in the UK when 'getting rid' of a body.

Now in a lovely piece of sychronicity the subject of cremation came up on a BBC Radio 4  program I caught part of whilst driving.

It seems that in the UK (can't speak for France) that you can't have open air cremations (although this is being challenged by various religious groups) so no Viking funerals.

BUT - there is a loophole of sorts.  There is nothing to stop you being cremated and then the ashes being given the burning boat treatment,  you might want to inform the Coastguard first.

In my will there is a request to be cremated and scattered at sea but now I wonder if the big firework idea might be fun, or the burning boat or medical science...... Decisions, decisions. Fortunately I won't be around to make the final choice [;-)]

Hmmm don't know.  I was only repeating what I had heard on the BBC and they were very clear that any 'Open Air' cremation is not allowed and it has to be done in a crematorium hence no Viking funerals except maybe 12 miles out or whatever the international waters limit is I suppose.

I was told once that the process of cremation is not enough to reduce the whole body to ash, the pelvis may remain largely intact and is put through a crusher to reduce it to bits. Can anyone confirm that?