Where do you want to be laid to rest?

TWINKLE

[quote user="LEO"][quote user="Quillan"]I don't really care. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell (although on an off day I feel I might be living the latter) nor reincarnation, this is it, as good as it gets. So seeing as I will be dead it won't worry me. The only people that it effects is those that out live you but then why panda to their wishes?[/quote]

Hi Quillan,

What have bears got to do with it!
[/quote]

Blinking spell checker but then it is Google so what can one expect! Still it shows how many people read my post, well spotted. [;-)] [:$]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="NormanH"](The Forum is called 'Living France' ) [/quote]
A 'Dead in France' forum would be a bit quiet.

[quote user="NormanH"]Why are they posting here?[/quote]
Because they can. [:P]

There are crematoriums (crematoria?) in France. I believe there's a very nice new and shiny crematorium in Caen (or there's due to be) for eg. Where's the difficulty in arranging it?

http://www.afif.asso.fr/english/cremation.htm
[/quote]

Dead in France!

Love it!!!!  A buisness idea for funeral parlours for ex-pats!

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[quote user="NormanH"]Ok.

Another good reason for me to stop posting again.

I try to give sensible and known information for people who live in France (The Forum is called 'Living France' ) and I am completely ignored by people who assume they will die in England.

Why are they posting here?

[/quote]

Are we having a tantrum NormanH?

[/quote]

No.cilostazol,

I think this thread is a bit of a joke, whereas I was trying to give practical ( and largely unknown apparently ) information for people seriously living in France for the rest of their lives.

Sorry to have intruded.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[quote user="Quillan"]I don't really care. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell (although on an off day I feel I might be living the latter) nor reincarnation, this is it, as good as it gets. So seeing as I will be dead it won't worry me. The only people that it effects is those that out live you but then why panda to their wishes?[/quote]

Hello Quillan ye of the chilly office!

So is it just my  French in-laws that make such a fuss of where they want to go when they pop their sabots?  Personally I wouldn't want to have to make that sort of decision for anybody. It's bad enough losing a loved one without the dilema of deciding where they should be laid to rest. 

Well it's important to me anyway. (Stamping my foot and puffing out my cheeks 'cos' you're not playing my game now!)

[/quote]

OK Twinkle that makes two. [;-)]

If somebody expresses a wish because they have particular beliefs etc then I agree you should try to respect those wishes. My point of view is I don't care so if my family want to put me in the family plot back in the UK thats up to them. Likewise if Mrs 'Q' decides that I should be buried or whatever in France then thats up to her but for me its not exactly a life changing decision, but then it wouldn't be coz I would be dead.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="TWINKLE"]

I try to give sensible and known information for people who live in France (The Forum is called 'Living France' ) and I am completely ignored by people who assume they will die in England.
[/quote]

[/quote]
No.cilostazol,
I think this thread is a bit of a joke, whereas I was trying to give practical ( and largely unknown apparently ) information for people seriously living in France for the rest of their lives.
Sorry to have intruded.

[/quote]

Well Norman, I find the advice useful and will follow it up.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Catalpa"]Where do I want to be laid to rest?

I'll be dead. I won't be "resting" anywhere. Having seen a few dead bodies in my time, to me the body is an irrelevant shell once whatever it is that animates that body departs. I definitely want to be cremated as anything else would be a waste of space but as to what happens to my ashes... well, it's of no interest to me. Those decisions have to be made by the next-of-kin and they have to do what feels right for them and what aids their grieving process.

Assuming anyone is
grieving... [6]

Nice to see you Twinks.
[:D]
[/quote]
What she says... [:)]
[/quote]

Ditto ditto! [:)]

Norman, no problems sorting out a cremation, it seems to be getting more the norm in fact & nobody I have known that has been cremated has been a member of the crématistes.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="TWINKLE"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
No.cilostazol,
Sorry to have intruded.

[/quote]

Well it wasn't intended as a joke NormanH.  I'm extemely hurt by that remark.

I've never considered anything other than cremation.

I don't want the people who know me to be crammed into a church, wearing black.

I've been there before for others, and it was always so tragic

that it overlaid my memories of the dead a little.

I do not want that for me and I won't let it happen.

Norman, One of the magazines linked to this forum is 'Living France' the other is 'France' magazine, then there is French Property News - this forum is actually called Complete France and has been for some time

The forum is for people living in France, with a second property in France or who just like France....its not exclusively for one group or the other. [:)]

[quote user="Théière"]

Ashes scattered from the bridge at Henley upon Thames, with the wind in the right direction every one in the angel on the bridge can drink to my passing!

[/quote]

I think you'll need to be upstream for that.....you'll be under the bridge and away before anyone has a chance to charge their glasses [:)]

And no one has mentioned the cost. I would have thought that that would have been very expensive if someone say died in the UK and wanted actually burying in France or vice versa. So it is quite a quesion, I doubt that we could ever afford something like that.

Cremation and moving the ashes would ofcourse be a lot cheaper for an international move wouldn't it. Who know s what RA would charge if they thought that 'another' person was being transported on a plane and not paying their full fare, luggage allowance!!

And I have heard that french funerals are expensive too, although I would imagine as everywhere it would depend on what the deceased had hoped for and the family wanted.

I have heard that if buried then a hefty ground rent has to be paid every so often in France, but I would hope that say a family plot had been bought it would be free hold, so to speak.

My neighbour wanted his wife buried near their second home and they had to go through 4 departments to get there and needed permission from someone 'high' up,ie the Prefet in each to give permission for her to be transported to her last resting place.

And my other neighbours Dad wouldn't leave Lille to move nearer his daughters in the SE unless he had his wife, their mother, dug up and moved with him.

Me, they can stick me in a cardboard box or bin liner and burn me. And my Dad paid for his years ago, I always say it's with 'funeralz'r'us', but it actually is more serious than that.

NormanH, do you know of how you can pay in advance in France to get this sorted out, I'm sure that someone mentioned it to me years ago, and if we had planned on staying in France would have looked into something like that.

[quote user="Weedon"]

As I am probably a lot nearer the age of falling off my perch than a fair number of you, I have given a bit of thought to what music I would like played as my (hopefully) very expensive coffin goes gliding away through the curtains. And this is it. Wish I could be there to see the reaction.

[/quote]

I want the aria from Rusalka played at tonights Proms, and the Bruch violin concerto, plus Elkie Brooks 'Fool if you think its over' and a Carly Simon 'The Island' - of course its going to be a very long funeral [;-)]

( I did toy with playing 'our song' but as its the Bangles 'Eternal Flame' I thought better of it - might be a bit too much for those left behind [;-)] )

PS I guess there would would be a certain humor in choosing the BF alarm call, but somehow I don't think I'd be getting up !